Ruff02 - Concurrent Succession Game

Ok I have a request before I vote....in these early builder turns I think we need some city sizes, worker actions, etc to decide best who to vote for. I'll break the empire up in to 3 or 4 screens later today and post what I've got so we can all take a look. If Bobrath and Pholk could do that too I think it'd be great.

Won't happen until after work today, but I'll see what I can pull from memory and the turnlog.

I think that'as a great idea but won't be able to do it until tonight.

Delhi and Kara need to be remanaged to get this, but here's teh scoop:

Delhi: pop8, grow5, Monk in 1
Madras: pop4; gr3; granary in 8
Bombary: pop2; gr1; forge in 5
Bangalore: pop3; gr16; lthouse
Karakorum: pop4, grow5; obelisk2
Turfan: pop4, grow5; library24(whip in 5)

To be true, the fact that Folk did not research Masonry overweigth any other consideration. I can make Pholk save into run away CIV next 20 turns and only so so from others.

Mutineer said:
To be true, the fact that Folk did not research Masonry overweigth any other consideration. I can make Pholk save into run away CIV next 20 turns and only so so from others.

Two things. First, if you look at the last turn, Pholkhero did research Masonry.

Pholkhero said:
T18-075ad: Alph>Masonry

T19-100ad: Nothing

T20-125ad: Masonry>Math. Kara: Barr>Obelisk (for the culture; Hamburg is encroaching); Bombay pops a border.

Second, I can't for the life of me figure out why researching Masonry is so important at this stage in the game. The only time it matters that I can think of is if you are going for a Civil Service slingshot using Prophets, but I think we are far beyond that point. Enlighten me (us?)? :)

Execly, getting Civil service from Prophet. It is the most natural cource of action. I am very confused with research path choisen by any of you, it is directionless.

1) It is clear that for our big sprawned empire we need COL.
2) it is clear that we are backward, as we spend time figting. Probably not tooo backward, but still.
3) WE have shrine in food ritch city. Together with temple we can hire 4 priests.
4 priests*3 + 3 points from oracle and shrine = 15 GP points.
200/15= 13.3333 turns to GP

I would think that spending 4 population work as priests for 14 turns worth 1000+ to civil service.
the same population woking 5 commerce ties for 14 turns would produce only
280 commerce.

After that you can research Machinary and take other Hatty if you want in no time. She probably would not even had X-Bow yet.
If all of you research massonry it is moot point now, but that was extrimelly easy win path.

Ideal research path would be Monarchy-Col-Civil Service-Machinery
(Go kill next neybor)

-Alphavit

I noticed the main mistake all people doing in succession games. They rarelly have plan and vision spawned more then local optimisation or what to research next.

I know I researched Masonry both to hook up the Marble and for the tie in to Construction once we finish Math.

bobrath said:
I know I researched Masonry both to hook up the Marble and for the tie in to Construction once we finish Math.

Was there any hurry?
Did you intend to start building some wander using Marble? (No, no any marble wanders untill literature).
Did you allredy reseached Math? (No)

So, you diviated from your research plan for no profit and no reason.

The 3 saves are pretty similar, and it's really dificult to give a vote for one or another...

But as Mutineer has said, building The Colossus in Karak is a good point, we can more easily increase the apparition of great prophet or great merchant, without worrying about the odds...

About the controversious Masonry... we can probably take advantage of this by building the GreatLighthouse (if it's not already bidl, and if we can put the stone online) in Kara, so we can increase the gpp for a great merchant in this city. Have a look at this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=167014 I don't know if we can manage to achieve the same result with karak, this strategy is a little bit experimental but it's an interesting option...

So my vote goes to pholkhero...

I researched Masonry for the same general reasons as Bobrath stated. Building the Colossus elsewhere than Delhi was a good choice though, and otherwise it is hard to differentiate. From what I can see my save is the best on the worker actions (farmed the flood plains at Bombay, fishing nets at Turfan, started chopping and cottaging/mining around Karakorum, cottaging around Madras) but I'm not sure if this makes a difference. I'm still going to hold off a little for my vote to see what others have to say.

Wow - very tough to separate these three saves. I note that Karakorum hasn't popped for Bob but it has for Chriseay - I couldn't tell for pholkhero. Also, pholkhero's fish/corn village cannot go on the square selected - too close to Karakorum.

On balance, my vote goes to pholkhero but it was a very difficult decision.

chriseay said:
I farmed the flood plains at Bombay, fishing nets at Turfan, started chopping and cottaging/mining around Karakorum, cottaging around Madras
w/the exception of the 2nd flood plains near bombay (i cottaged that instead for Kara), i think we did the same thing. I was able to chop 3 forests around Kara for the Col. and and I *think* i have a couple cottages over there too, put from my pic and i acn't tell for sure and can't double check since i'm at work.

pholkhero said:
w/the exception of the 2nd flood plains near bombay (i cottaged that instead for Kara), i think we did the same thing. I was able to chop 3 forests around Kara for the Col. and and I *think* i have a couple cottages over there too, put from my pic and i acn't tell for sure and can't double check since i'm at work.

Well, with that info I have to vote for your save. I couldn't tell on the WB, and since they were so close I was going to be a little conceited (hey at least I admit it :p ) and vote for mine. But since you did almost exactly what I did, and made a better move with the wonder, you've got my vote.

No chops on my part - so we still have plenty of wood around for production popping.

I tend to agree that having the Colosuss not in our capital is the big differentiator in these turns and with that I'm happy to push my vote to Pholkhero. Note that we don't necessarily need an oblisk in Karakorum as the Colossus will generate enough culture to hold back the german border for now. Better putting those hammers to settlers or other improvements.

I wasn't 100% certain that expanding now is a good choice, our economy is still in the dumps and adding more weight will (imo) only slow us down.

Did I use Marble right away? Yes, it made an immense difference in the hammer capacity of Turfan.

Note that we don't necessarily need an oblisk in Karakorum as the Colossus will generate enough culture to hold back the german border for now.
My rationale: We are losing tiles to hamburg in Kara (though you can't tell on my border-less map), though over time, we should gain it back, but for the now, I figured that any little bit helps.

Top Bottom