Running Civ 4 on a netbook

linhof

Chieftain
I have it up and running on my Acer 9.1" netbook, the one with the Atom processor. My netbook does NOT have a CD or DVD drive. For those of you wondering, here's how:

1) I bought the brand new Civ IV complete today, the version that has all the expansion packs, and most importantly, no DRM.

2) I have an 8 gig USB drive. You will need at least a 4 gig USB drive. On another computer with a DVD drive, place the DVD in the drive, your USB drive in it's slot. Make sure the USB driv eis at least 4 gig and completely clear and empty.

3) Go into "My Computer", and using the right mouse button over top your DVD drive, click and open "Explore". Do not run the DVD.

4) copy the entire contents of your DVD to the USB drive. Change nothing. this will likely take a few minutes, depending on your drive & machine.

5) Remove your USB jump drive, make sure you netbook is turned on, place USB jumpdrive in your netbook, click on the open folder menu when it pops up, and look for "SETUP" on the USB drive. Click on it and install it.

6) Both Civ 4 and colonization will install normally, just follow the instructions and take your time.

7) After install is finished, remove your USB drive, then do NOT run Civ yet, but go and install the latest version of Direct X. Even if you just installed Direct X the day before, does not matter - REINSTALL it now.

8) Reboot if you have to, I did not.

9) Locate your Civilization ini file, edit "Fullscreen" and change it from "1" to "0"

10) Run Civ! You will notice that Civ is running inside a window, and the bottom of the screen is missing, so click on the little box up top right to expand the window to full.

Play Civ!

Now, a couple of warnings. Civ will run slow, you will likely only want to play small games, and the screen will make everything look kinda squished. To these complaints, I say:

Dude - it's a netbook, what do you expect? Deal with it. If you want a notebook to play games, don't buy a netbook! :)

But for those of you who use your netbook mostly for other purposes and want to play the odd game of Civ, say when on the road or whatever, this is how to do it.

good luck!

I've got it running on my little Acer Aspire One (downloaded via Steam, then set to run in 'Windowed' mode as above), but by crikey is it ever slow :sleep:

I've got it running on my little Acer Aspire One (downloaded via Steam, then set to run in 'Windowed' mode as above), but by crikey is it ever slow :sleep:

Adjust your graphics settings. I have good performance using the following settings:

Graphics tab:
Graphics level - Low
uncheck Single unit graphics
check Show health bars
check Detailed city info
check Animations frozen
check Effects disabled
uncheck Globe View Buildings Disabled
uncheck Full-screen mode
check Low res textures
uncheck High Detail Terrain
check Show city radius

I also edited the CivilizationIV.INI files, changing the following values:

BinkInterlace = 1
BinkNoSkip = 0
NoIntroMovie = 1
FullScreen = 0
SetMaxFrameRate = 10
ScreenHeight = 768
ScreenWidth = 1310

This should give you performance comparable to a standard laptop using all the high quality graphics settings. Civ 4 is the best performing modern game on my Aspire One A110 netbook.

BLESS YOU BLESS YOU!!! Been working on this for a couple of days and changing the full screen value to 0 worked FINALLLY!

Have HP Mini 110 Netbook with Intel 965 Graphics - thanks so much!

now the real question is...

Has anyone gotten Civ4 running on a Linux install on a netbook? :lol:

Top Bottom