Rush Limbaugh Dies

What revolution did he work towards?
He changed "talk" radio into "political hate" radio and created a whole industry. His style of talk was revolutionary in the same way that the iPhone changed telephones.

He changed "talk" radio into "political hate" radio and created a whole industry. His style of talk was revolutionary in the same way that the iPhone changed telephones.
So he invented those weird hatefilled people that rant on about 30% of the radio stations you get driving through the empty bits of the US? I mean, fair enough, if he did that then he did quite a lot.

So he invented those weird hatefilled people that rant on about 30% of the radio stations you get driving through the empty bits of the US? I mean, fair enough, if he did that then he did quite a lot.
Yes, he created the template for all those that followed. He was exceedingly successful in demonstrating how to use radio to build a political following based on the single idea that libruls and liberalism were the enemy of the nation.

He was able to do so because Regan abolished the the Fairness Doctrine in 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine

Conservative talk radio[edit]
The 1987 repeal of the fairness doctrine enabled the rise of talk radio that excelled at vicious, divisive talk. "In 1988, a savvy former ABC Radio executive named Ed McLaughlin signed Rush Limbaugh — then working at a little-known Sacramento station — to a nationwide syndication contract. McLaughlin offered Limbaugh to stations at an unbeatable price: free. All they had to do to carry his program was to set aside four minutes per hour for ads that McLaughlin’s company sold to national sponsors. The stations got to sell the remaining commercial time to local advertisers." "From his earliest days on the air, Limbaugh trafficked in conspiracy theories, divisiveness, even viciousness" (e.g., "********s").[36] Prior to 1987 people using much less controversial verbiage had been taken off the air as obvious violations of the fairness doctrine.[37]

He was able to do so because Regan abolished the the Fairness Doctrine in 1987.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_fairness_doctrine
The thing I do not get is how they compete with NPR. You are driving along, and flick through the radio. Sometimes it is music, sometime it is talk. If it is talk, it is either some guy on the right ranting incoherently or NPR making reasoned arguments about the problems of the day. And people listen to the ranting guy?

This guy definitely doesn't belong in anything remotely approximating heaven or the "good place".

He deserves no respect in life nor his death. Screw him, he's a demon, a man so utterly bereft of morals that he had no issue horsehockyting on those on the lowest rungs of society and those that want to treat him like he was a decent human being are complicit in the misery he helped propogate for money.

He was a sociopath and if he shaped the GOP as fox news claims, then that speaks to the sheer and utter hatred of that party.

Love him or hate him, he was revolutionary.
This is an odd phrasing, because the "love him or hate him" phrase is normally followed by some kind of truism, often intended as a positive credit to their character. Not only is it not a truism (he just found a shtick that resonated for a lot of offensive reasons), it most definitely isn't to Limbaugh's credit either :)

Reactions: HEF
limburger was nothing more than a poor man's howard stern; in fact, that's how he got that radio slot with fox radio when stern turn down fox's initial offer as a result of not accepting his female African-American co-host.

I hadn’t listened to Rush in a while as my political zeal has long since waned. Aside from ordinary condolences, I'd say that for some 30-odd years he broadcast five days a week, three hours a day; can you imagine hosting a show for that long and keeping it fresh all that time? During his lifetime, I saw an article that credited him with saving the AM band of radio, which probably isn't far off from the truth. Credit where credit is due. Dittos, Rush.

Top Bottom