Russia kicking my Butt?

Scotch0101

Centurion
In all my games with Russia they kick my butt. I was just walking through their territory (open borders) and a stopped in one of their cities, I clicked 'next turn', and immediately she declares war on me :mad:!?!?! Catherine really likes to backstab you. We were friends since we met....like 3500 B.C.....she declares war on me in 1880. Is her back stab level really high or something?

You can usually see why she dislikes you by looking in the diplomacy screen and hovering your mouse over her status towards you. Though sometimes they'll DoW on you if your military is really weak, which doesn't show up on that status. Did she actually backstab you, which means you were declared as friends at the time of her DoW?

Kacapy are an expansionist civilization. It means that when there will be little or even less land to settle, they will start to expand by force. Just like in real life, vide Ukraine. Even though you were a "brother nation" for nearly 5.000 years, they are Kacaps, varelsa, and that's what they do.

You should expect the same behavior from some other civilizations as well, especially from Hiawatha. He's the worst expansionist in the game.

You also need to remember that when your long-time friends starts to show red signs of annoyance in diplo screen, something is likely going to happen. Late games often turn into total wars and it's a good idea to have diplomats in potentially hostile capitals.

What happens to you units in their territory when they declare war? Are they teletransported out of their territory or stay there? Never happened to me.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Russia is one of those civs that, when you meet them, you just go, "sure lets be friends... whatever." Like Brazil, you know it's just a matter of time before they denounce and DoW for abso-freaking-lutely no reason. It's only surprising once. After a few games you get a feel for which civs you just have to consider enemies regardless of the diplo screen. I got a DoW last game from Brazil the turn after I built the louvre. I should add that this was only the third wonder I'd managed to get on a very tough immortal game. It just felt like, "Really dude?"

What better reason to end centuries of trade and warm relations than an obscure cultural tourist trap? I think Australia should attack New Zealand because Peter Jackson built the shire there.

You can usually see why she dislikes you by looking in the diplomacy screen and hovering your mouse over her status towards you. Though sometimes they'll DoW on you if your military is really weak, which doesn't show up on that status. Did she actually backstab you, which means you were declared as friends at the time of her DoW?
She literally BACKSTABED me! We had a current DoF and she gave me a DoW!

Russia is one of those civs that, when you meet them, you just go, "sure lets be friends... whatever." Like Brazil, you know it's just a matter of time before they denounce and DoW for abso-freaking-lutely no reason. It's only surprising once. After a few games you get a feel for which civs you just have to consider enemies regardless of the diplo screen. I got a DoW last game from Brazil the turn after I built the louvre. I should add that this was only the third wonder I'd managed to get on a very tough immortal game. It just felt like, "Really dude?"

What better reason to end centuries of trade and warm relations than an obscure cultural tourist trap? I think Australia should attack New Zealand because Peter Jackson built the shire there.
Leaders you should NEVER make a DoF (because they'll backstab you)with: Alex (duh:rolleyes:), Catherine (duh:rolleyes:), Ethiopia (really...YES..play against them in a continents tiny prince game)

I don't dof with anyone ever unless they're the only other civ with nukes or no where near my borders. If you declare war on someone who you've dofd with then it will leave a debuff to your diplomacy that's worse than warmongering. The dof system is there to trick bads in to a false sense of security. A general rule of thumb is never dof, open borders or do anything to provoke other civs including abstaining from the world congress most of the time.

I don't dof with anyone ever unless they're the only other civ with nukes or no where near my borders. If you declare war on someone who you've dofd with then it will leave a debuff to your diplomacy that's worse than warmongering. The dof system is there to trick bads in to a false sense of security. A general rule of thumb is never dof, open borders or do anything to provoke other civs including abstaining from the world congress most of the time.

This is good advice if you have absolutely no idea how diplomacy works.

Unfortunately, if you do, this is not really beneficial at all. DoF's are the only way you can get RA's. DoF's are the only way you can get straight gold trades when you need them. DoF's reduce warmongering penalties against other civs. DoF's will get you what you need done in the world congress (including them voting for you for host, proposing your ideology and your religion for the world) and it makes for games where a part of the global community is basically all friends and runs things together.

Obviously you need to make sure your friendships are well placed. You need to monitor global relations very well, but there's absolutely no reason to treat every game as "you vs the world."

DoF's are beneficial, but are also asking for it too.

Asking for what? Favorable trades? Free science? Friends who don't care that you go to war vs common enemies?

If you don't think they're valuable, you just quite simply don't know how to be effective at diplomacy. No, that doesn't mean you take every DoF offered, but it doesn't mean you turn them all down too because you're going to get backstabbed.

Case in point - I am friends with Catherine every game. Literally every single game she's in, I'm friends with her, and she's solid till the end. I've got screenshots of her voting for me to host the WC. I don't know what I'm doing differently from you guys who all claim she's untrustworthy, but the way I handle things with her, she's always my friend till the end. I find Elizabeth to be far more of a pain in my ass than Catherine has ever been.

Chum, you're asking to be backstabbed when you make a DoF. You can do really good because of it, like research agreements and such, but just wait..........eventually in one of you're games it will happen....guaranteed. Since you're friends you figure you don't need to worry about invasion.....so, you have maybe 1 or 2 units in his/her general direction. Next thing you know, 'wait, I thought we were friends' , your capital's gone! I was a little dramatic there, but I hope you understand my point.
Play this game, you'll see why.

Attachments

• SwedeHighlands.Civ5Save
    428.3 KB · Views: 42
Chum, you're asking to be backstabbed when you make a DoF. You can do really good because of it, like research agreements and such, but just wait..........eventually in one of you're games it will happen....guaranteed. Since you're friends you figure you don't need to worry about invasion.....so, you have maybe 1 or 2 units in his/her general direction. Next thing you know, 'wait, I thought we were friends' , your capital's gone! I was a little dramatic there, but I hope you understand my point.
Play this game, you'll see why.

Who cares if you're backstabbed? The diplomacy hit isn't on you. So what's the problem? Someone else denounces you? And you lose what, exactly?

If you're friends with someone, you're A LOT less likely to go to war with them. A LOT. Just because it happens sometimes doesn't mean that it's a good idea to never be friends with anyone.

If you think at any point in any game that you don't need to worry about invasion, you're playing poorly. I've gone entire games before without being at war. This isn't vanilla anymore. Peace does break out, and it stays around for a long time if you play it right.

Who cares if you're backstabbed? The diplomacy hit isn't on you. So what's the problem? Someone else denounces you? And you lose what, exactly?

If you're friends with someone, you're A LOT less likely to go to war with them. A LOT. Just because it happens sometimes doesn't mean that it's a good idea to never be friends with anyone.

If you think at any point in any game that you don't need to worry about invasion, you're playing poorly. I've gone entire games before without being at war. This isn't vanilla anymore. Peace does break out, and it stays around for a long time if you play it right.

The diplomacy hit for capturing an enemy city is the same whether they backstab you or not. DoFing with a civ who decides to be a jerk and get denounced by everyone will drag you down and get you embargoed in the world congress and all your luxes banned.

You have NOTHING to lose by abstaining from DoF and everything to gain.

P.S. having to spam military units to fend of invasions because you got to close to a spazzed out civ will impact your science/gold/production.

Top Bottom