Saddam Hussein receives death penalty

The Fjonis

Prince
BBC said:
Former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity by a Baghdad court and sentenced to death by hanging.

He was found guilty over his role in the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail in 1982.

His co-defendant former judge Awad Hamed al-Bander was also sentenced to death. Former vice-president Taha Yassin Ramadan got life in jail.

Three others received 15 year prison terms, another official was acquitted.

Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6117910.stm

Discuss.

I'm against the death penalty. It accomplishes nothing. Instead throw him in jail and maybe someday he'll rat out other criminals he's worked with. Or not but it's worth a shot. I thought it was idiotic and a tragedy when they killed the Oklahoma City bomber without ever getting any information from him (now we'll never know the story and who else was behind it).

At least hanging is cheap though. I heard somewhere it is cheaper to keep someone in prison for life in America than execute them. I don't know how that can be true though.

Wow, nobody saw this coming.

In other news: Scientists found today that the sky is in fact blue.

Good. One tyrant down, 52 to go.

good.

now we have to listen to all the "Gandhis" on cfc say..

"i feel sadened that another life must be taken"

bigdog5994 said:
good.

now we have to listen to all the "Gandhis" on cfc say..

"i feel sadened that another life must be taken"

Don't mess with the Gandhis! They'll kick your ass! Oh wait, nevermind.

I'm generally against the death penalty, but I feel very little sympathy for genocidal maniacs. If he is in fact hanged, I for one won't feel very sorry for him.

Narz said:
I'm against the death penalty. It accomplishes nothing. Instead throw him in jail and maybe someday he'll rat out other criminals he's worked with. Or not but it's worth a shot. I thought it was idiotic and a tragedy when they killed the Oklahoma City bomber without ever getting any information from him (now we'll never know the story and who else was behind it).

At least hanging is cheap though. I heard somewhere it is cheaper to keep someone in prison for life in America than execute them. I don't know how that can be true though.

im against the death penalty too, but for this *bleep* im willing to make an exception.

besides if they throw him in jail, its not too unlikely that he will get out in a near future after americans and all other foreign troops leave.

Regardless of the fact that he is indeed guilty, this was nothing more than a show trial.

So is it WW3 in Iraq yet?
I mean, the media told me that tension was high and to expect chaos. What more could happen really? I't seems that everyday there's between fifty and one hundred persons, human beings, destroyed. I open my homepage and there's almost always a little mention of some horrible act, of a tragedy involving suicide bombings and civilian casualties. What a hell hole.

Kill Saddam, don't kill Saddam, I really don't care. He is a bastard and was a bastard, so have been countless world leaders since I was born. After the old cold-war thingy was over and done with, a young me tought naively that after the nuclear nonsense the world would turn to democracy and egality for everyone. We're done with the Reds, let's use our incredibly overwhelming power and wealth to depose every dictatorship and bring freedom to all and bla bla bla. Cute isn't!? :lol: Anyway, I digress. Kill him, don't kill him, just stop pretending this is about freedom, democracy and justice. It's all just realpolitik.

bathsheba666 said:
Good.

Now we've started on the rule of law, let's have Bush and Blair on trial for their war crimes.

Sarcasm: Come on Bathsheba, you don't seriously believe that Saddam ordering people to be killed is somehow equivalent to Bush/Blair ordering people to be killed do you? :cry:

Devil's advocate: I think that Saddam's methods have been vindicated by the subsequent invasion. He had found the only method of maintaining order that works in Iraq. No?

Makes me want to shout Allan Snackbar at the top of my voice!

Allan Snackbar!! Allan Snackbar!! Allan Snnnnnnnaaaacccckbarrrrr!!

Top Bottom