Salt

Xiao Xiong

Prince
Something seems missing from Civ in terms of resources: Stuff that is really valuable in the ancient world, but not worth so much later. Salt is an example. It used to be worth more than gold, per ounce, and served as a currency in many empires.

Then at some point people discovered that you could mine salt from underground, and with the invention of steam and modern mining techniques the stuff became cheap as dirt.

I mention salt as an example. I think it would be strategically interesting if the value of certain commodities rose and fell as things were invented. Mostly in Civ there are discoveries that raise the value of things--but there should also be discoveries that reduce value.

Salt in particular though was a crucial resource over which many wars were fought in history--but has fallen into unimportance today.

Something seems missing from Civ in terms of resources: Stuff that is really valuable in the ancient world, but not worth so much later. Salt is an example. It used to be worth more than gold, per ounce, and served as a currency in many empires.

Then at some point people discovered that you could mine salt from underground, and with the invention of steam and modern mining techniques the stuff became cheap as dirt.

I mention salt as an example. I think it would be strategically interesting if the value of certain commodities rose and fell as things were invented. Mostly in Civ there are discoveries that raise the value of things--but there should also be discoveries that reduce value.

Good idea. Assuming it would become obsolete after refrigeration, what purpose would this resource serve?

id say just make a salt related building like a granary. requires trapping.

trapping > reveals salt
salt > mine to get resource
resource > build Granary 2.0 + food bonus to trapping resources.

Trapping? Why? I mean, maybe to preserve meat, but I think that mining should be requisite, because it's required to see salt. And you would build a salt mine, not a salt camp. Get where you're coming from though.

All commodities in this game should be tradable.

Salt in particular though was a crucial resource over which many wars were fought in history--but has fallen into unimportance today.

Already there. It's called horses, iron, coal, oil, etc. Each waxes and wanes to near worthlessness rather quickly as time moves on.

IMHO Iron should really be more important in the industrial and modern era. Perhaps a :c5production: bonus or another building (like a Steel Mill) which requires iron and complements the Factory.

Another resource which is missing is rice. In addition to it being an important grain, rice was also used as a form of currency by many Asian civilizations.

I don't think iron needs to be any more powerful. It rules the ancient era by itself.

Top Bottom