Sandypelago

vktj

Warlord
Sandypelago is a quick and dirty modification to the Archipelago map script which comes with Civ4. This script, instead of generating a bunch of islands in an ocean, generates a bunch of areas with arable land in a desert.

This is geared towards desert-themed mods (since as Legends of Ancient Arabia), but works with other mods for games where people do not want to build a navy, but want to retain a "needle in a haystack" exploration flavor.

To install, put the script in ${Beyond the Sword}\PublicMaps (or ${Warlords}\PublicMaps or even ${Civ4}\PublicMaps). Note that ${Beyond the Sword} is where BTS is installed (such as c:\Program Files\2K Games\Civilization IV Complete\Beyond the Sword or what not), ${Warlords} is where Warlords is installed, and where ${Civ4} is where vanilla Civ4 is installed. It may also work if ${Beyond the Sword} is ${My Documents}\My Games\Beyond the Sword\PublicMaps (or likewise for
${Warlords} and ${Vanilla}).

To use, keep in mind that lowering the "sea level" increases the size of areas with arable land. I like the map with a low "sea level" and with an "arid" climate.

This script has only been tested in Warlords using the Legends of Ancient Arabia mod. Your mileage may vary.

This script is very similar to the sandLand script I posted earlier today, but makes more unpredictable maps that are more dynamic but can be less balanced.

2017 update: It’s now possible to make maps when “Big arable areas” is selected

Attachments

• Sandypelago.jpg
    Sandypelago.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 709
  • Sandypelago.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I have, two years later, fixed the bug with the map script going in to an infinite loop when “Big arable areas” is set. Not only can the fix be downloaded here, it’s also available at https://github.com/samboy/misc-civ4-mapscripts

If anyone else has a bug report, feel free to make one. I may even fix the bug in 2019 or so.

Last edited:
2021 update: In addition to the non-arable area being sand (desert), there is now an option to make non-arable areas instead be snow or extended coastland.

Attachments

• Sandypelago-2021.zip
    7.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Top Bottom