Save Game Strategy?

Oddible

signal / noise > 1
How do you save your games in order to be able to find them? The save game UI seems to have thrown usability out the window - unless I'm missing something. I am in the middle of my second game and I have so many save games that I have a hard time finding my last save. So then I start naming things 'Last Save', well that doesn't work because I quickly have several of those. So I started having to append the year AD1560 to the beginning of my saves so they'd sort and I could remember which one is the last save. Unfortunately this doesn't scale into my second game, now I have games that are named by year from two different games and I have to click on several games to figure out which one is the last one again. So now I'm naming them by: Songhai AD156. Suddenly I'm EXACTLY back to the old naming convention from prior civ versions except I'm doing it manually instead of the game doing it for me.

I'm finding it hard to believe that this huge a failure made it past beta testing so I'm assuming that I'm doing it wrong. I'm interested in how other people are saving their games to avoid these issues?

The save game dialog has been streamlined to match the organic feel of the game. All those sort tabs and default save game names and different folders were way too complicated and got in the way.

So what do you do? Do you really delete all your old saves the second you finish a game? Do you name your saves 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc? How do we work with this dialog?

The save game dialog has been streamlined to match the organic feel of the game. All those sort tabs and default save game names and different folders were way too complicated and got in the way.
Yeah, I know they changed it so it would have this sleek organic streamlined look, instead of a simple dialog box with a list of saves like Civ IV had. The new save format may look good, but it doesn't work as good.

[Game #] [Empire][Date]

GM 1 Eng 3025 BC

Edit: and its a bit crazy that the latest save doesn't automatically sort to the top of the list.

You could type the civs name and the real world date? I play a game through, or delete it if I start a new game, so I don't think I'll have a problem.

:lol:

Well, just to make is unsimple, are you saving in the steam cloud, on your local storage, and where are the autosaves going?

And that is if the game lets you save at all ... see the save issue in bugs forum ... some days it won't let me even type in a name, some days I can type but it won't save, and some days I get a save on my local storage.

End up having to save to the steam cloud, do a quicksave, and also try to put one locally, as I never know where I can recover it from later ... :mad:

dV

I lot of fail got past the beta stage (was there even one?), don't be surprised.

[Game #] [Empire][Date]

GM 1 Eng 3025 BC

Edit: and its a bit crazy that the latest save doesn't automatically sort to the top of the list.

In Civ IV, I kept the default name and added something like "PC003", meaning Persia - Cyrus - Third game with Cyrus leading Persia. I guess you can do the same, but last save not at the top is full of fail.

So basically now we're typing in the exact same information that the game used to do for us - this is streamlined fo sho! Steamlined that feature right out of the developer's task list!

Top Bottom