Scenario making for beginners.

How would I go about giving one unit different sprites for each civ? I recall Pluto Rising doing the same with cities.
Per-player city graphics is a feature of ToTPP; you can add colour masks to units through static sprites, but as far as I know there's no way to code 'flavour graphics' outside of discrete units (although if TNO added support for this, it would be mind-blowing).

Does anyone know the answer to this?

When you use a "goTo" command, will a unit keep moving there without stopping under all circumstances? Or will they change paths/stop/etc. if they come across an enemy unit?

I ask because in a scenario I'm testing, I've noticed the AI stacks their ships in certain tiles and I want to move them on their merry way, but I'm hoping if they bump into a player-controlled unit, they'll attack.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you.

From what I remember, the unit will stop the goto order and re-evaluate when it comes near another unit. I believe my tests were in the context of trying to force them to attack by giving a goto order for an enemy square, and that didn't work.

Hi John,

I don't know if this will help in your case but in Napoleon I wanted British naval units to be able to move from the English isles all the way into the Mediterranean.

I did this be creating a series of naval "zones" each within the typical range of naval units . At the beginning of each turn, any naval unit located in a specific zone received a goto command to move to the next zone down the French, Spanish and Mediterranean coasts.

From my personal experience, this appeared to work relatively well.

If you are interested, you can look at the following section in my event file (particularly the British naval commands):
12. AUSTRIAN, BRITISH, OTTOMAN, RUSSIAN and SPANISH MOVETO COMMANDS

I hope this was useful to you.

Thank you! I'm playtesting now so we'll see what happens, but I might need to use this depending on how the AI does. I appreciate the idea.

Is making a scenario with only two players possible and/or feasible?

Is making a scenario with only two players possible and/or feasible?

Yes, there are several out there, but I will warn you it is a zero sum game which makes it really hard to balance. Over the Reich is a 2 player game that Prof. Garfield and I spent ages trying to balance, for example. Any thing that is "good" for one player is "bad" for the other which makes it quite challenging if the civs you're planning on including have any special traits/aren't one in the same.

Ah, well, I suppose a Human-Martian conflict would be nigh impossible to balance anyway.

Aren't there versions for CivTweak and CivCity for modern computers?

Hi @Wiw,

I don't believe there's a modern version for CivTweak but have you checked out TNO's Civitas tool which can be located here. It handles many if not most of CivCity's functions.

Noticed the important guide links in the first 3 posts of this thread were broken so have fixed them. I'm not sure what happened to the old CivFanatics FAQ Civ2 reference guide area. Looks like it went down over a decade ago. I'll ask the admins about it but either way thankfully it was backed up on webarchive.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050404001608/http://www.civfanatics.com:80/civ2reference.shtml

Aren't there versions for CivTweak and CivCity for modern computers?
Thankfully you can still run them on modern computer using WineVDM. See here...

Top Bottom