School shooting in Finland

Princeps

More bombs than God
What are the gun laws like in Finland?

When was that uploaded? The comments all the way back to page 100 only go back to only two hours ago, making me wonder if it really was him who made the video.

Well, according to the media (and they're always right... right?) those vids are believed to have been posted by the shooter.

What are the gun laws like in Finland?

I'm not sure actually. I think you can get a gun with proper premission from the authorities. So, for example, if you refuse to touch a gun when in the compulsory military service, you're unlikely to get a permit. But there are plenty of guns in Finland, with all the hunting, I suppose, but I think he used a hand-gun.

Here it comes to the remains of Europe....
It is very negative news.

Nooo! That can't happen! If it happens outside of America, the gun control debates are going to be disrupted. Only America is allowed to have gun-wielding maniac teenagers!

(I didn't read/watch it.)

From CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/11/07/school.shooting/?iref=mpstoryview

HELSINKI, Finland (CNN) -- An 18-year-old gunman opened fire at a school in Finland killing a headteacher Wednesday, in a shooting that appeared to have been planned out in graphic videos posted on Internet sharing site YouTube.

The incident, believed to be the first of its kind in Finland's history, was claimed to be the work of Pekka-Eric Auvinen, who has also published a manifesto demanding war on the "weak-minded masses" and pledging to die for his cause.

YouTube suspended the videos, many of them featuring Nazi imagery, shortly after police in the town of Tuusula, near Helsinki, were reported to have apprehended the gunman.

One video posted by a user identified as "Sturmgeist89" earlier Wednesday was was titled "Jokela High School Massacre - 11/7/2007."

The school involved in the shooting was reported to be Jokela High, attended by more than 400 students, aged between 12 and 18.

Jarkko Sipila, a reporter with MTV, told CNN that the shooting happened around noon Finnish time (1000 GMT) in the quiet town around 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Helsinki.

Sipila said some of the pupils had fled to a nearby elementary school while police surrounded and sealed off the high school. Finnish news agency STT carried police comments that they had been fired at.

The Associated Press reported comments from Kim Kiuru, one of the school's teachers, on radio station YLE.

Kiuru described how the headmistress used the public address system around noon to tell pupils to stay in classrooms.

He said he locked his classroom door, then waited in the corridor for more news.

"After that I saw the gunman running with what appeared to be a small-caliber handgun in his hand through the doors towards me, after which I escaped to the corridor downstairs and ran in the opposite direction, " Kiuru said.

The agency reported Kiuru as saying that he saw a woman's body as he fled the school, before telling his pupils to leave the building through the windows.

Sipila said that at least four people in the school had suffered gunshot wounds and that others had been injured by shattered glass.

He added that the gunman, believed to be an 18-year-old 12th grader, is thought to have had a fascination with dictatorial figures such as Hitler and Stalin.

Sipila said that Finland has around two million firearms, although gun laws are tough. "We do not know where he got it from," he said.

Police are scheduled to give a press conference at around 1500GMT.

That reminds me of the Pekka jokes that have been popular in Sweden for quite a while...

I was wondering if Pekka was a common name or not. I guess it is common enough not to freak out if I saw another Pekka from Finland on a forum.

GoodEnoughForMe said:
What was the Youtube video like? It's been taken down.

It showed a picture of the school, then a picture of him holding a gun with red background, all the while some (heavy metal/rock?) music was playing in the background.

AL_DA_GREAT said:
It has spread outside the USA :cry:

School shootings have happened in Europe before.

School shootings have happened in Europe before.

And Mexico. And other countries. We just don't hear about them as much. Because when its not in America you can't blame it on lax American laws and an American gun culture.

And Mexico. And other countries. We just don't hear about them as much. Because when its not in America you can't blame it on lax American laws and an American gun culture.

I think the fact that it happens far less frequently might have something to do with that too

Top Bottom