Science level problem

lukaszw10

Chieftain
Hi guys,

I have a strange problem. I play the mod I created and after each turn the level of science expenses automatically returns to 50%. So I set it to the desired value, click end turn and... it's back to 50% again! Maybe I clicked something wrong in the editor? Anyone know how to fix this?

Thank you in advance for any information. Regards!

Sounds to me like you set a "Rate cap" of 50% for whichever government you are currently trying to use. With a 50% Rate cap, neither of the Commerce-conversion sliders on the F1 screen may be moved above 50%.

However, the rate cap also applies to the virtual "TAX%"-slider setting, which is calculated by subtracting the SCI%- and LUX%-settings from 100%.

So setting your SCI% and LUX% sliders so that they total 40% or less (i.e. TAX% = 60%) will also cause one or both of them to be reset, to reduce the TAX%-slider to 50%.

Sounds to me like you set a "Rate cap" of 50% for whichever government you are currently trying to use. With a 50% Rate cap, neither of the Commerce-conversion sliders on the F1 screen may be moved above 50%.

However, the rate cap also applies to the virtual "TAX%"-slider setting, which is calculated by subtracting the SCI%- and LUX%-settings from 100%.

So setting your SCI% and LUX% sliders so that they total 40% or less (i.e. TAX% = 60%) will also cause one or both of them to be reset, to reduce the TAX%-slider to 50%.
Thanks a lot, IT WORKS! Since you are an expert, let me ask you a few more questions:

1. After a few or a dozen turns, my neighbors declare war on me, even without any reason. The result is that I am at war with everyone around me, even though I set the AI aggression to least aggressive. How to change it? Is it enough to move the aggression slider in the civilization settings in the editor?

2. Is it possible to "convert" a scenario with a dedicated map into a random map (including the number of civilizations adjusted to the size of the map) while maintaining all the features of the civilization (e.g. government, starting technologies, etc.)?

3. What is "flavors" and what does it mean in the game?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Last edited:
1. After a few or a dozen turns, my neighbors declare war on me, even without any reason. The result is that I am at war with everyone around me, even though I set the AI aggression to least aggressive. How to change it? Is it enough to move the aggression slider in the civilization settings in the editor?
The AI behaviours and build-priorities are all set using the same algorithms. If they've (all) run out of space to settle (or they can't build Settlers), they will build military units instead, and once they consider themselves stronger than an opponent, they'll usually find some excuse (or none at all) to declare.

So e.g. if you've not been matching their military production, and they're now all stronger than you, then they'll all pick you as the weakest potential target.
2. Is it possible to "convert" a scenario with a dedicated map into a random map (including the number of civilizations adjusted to the size of the map) while maintaining all the features of the civilization (e.g. government, starting technologies, etc.)?
Yes. Open a new .biq, go to the "File" pull-down menu, and choose "Import..." After you've clicked through the warning, you'll get a pop-up box called "Import BIC data".

Click the check-boxes for "Rules" and "Players", then select the original .biq file that you want to import those details from. Adjust the "World Size" settings as you want them (no. of tiles, no. of civs per map-size, etc.), and save the new .biq under a new name.

You should then be able to use that .biq to play similar games, but on random maps.
I haven't really explored this option in the Editor, but as I understand it, these are intended to be used to make some additional adjustment to individual nations' relationships with e.g. each other (more or less friendly), technologies (more or less likely to pick as the next research-project) and buildings (more or less likely to build earlier), etc. AFAIK, the flavour-settings don't make a huge difference, though.

Last edited:
The AI behaviours and build-priorities are all set using the same algorithms. If they've (all) run out of space to settle (or they can't build Settlers), they will build military units instead, and once they consider themselves stronger than an opponent, they'll usually find some excuse (or none at all) to declare.

So e.g. if you've not been matching their military production, and they're now all stronger than you, then they'll all pick you as the weakest potential target.

Yes. Open a new .biq, go to the "File" pull-down menu, and choose "Import..." After you've clicked through the warning, you'll get a pop-up box called "Import BIC data".

Click the check-boxes for "Rules" and "Players", then select the original .biq file that you want to import those details from. Adjust the "World Size" settings as you want them (no. of tiles, no. of civs per map-size, etc.), and save the new .biq under a new name.

You should then be able to use that .biq to play similar games, but on random maps.

I haven't really explored this option in the Editor, but as I understand it, these are intended to be used to make some additional adjustment to individual nations' relationships with e.g. each other (more or less friendly), technologies (more or less likely to pick as the next research-project) and buildings (more or less likely to build earlier), etc. AFAIK, the flavour-settings don't make a huge difference, though.
As for creating random maps, I did what you wrote about. But in this scenario there are 29 civilizations. After importing them and running the scenario, I select the tiny map, but in the next screen I can only select my civilization and nothing else. As a result, there are 29 factions crammed onto the tiny map. So now I understand that everyone is fighting for space to settle. What do I have to do to be able to select opponents? I tried unchecking the "Custom Player Data" option in the "Scenario" menu and it solved the problem, but the civilizations lost their treasury, starting technologies, government, etc. What do I have to do to play a random map without losing all of this?

As for creating random maps, I did what you wrote about. But in this scenario there are 29 civilizations. After importing them and running the scenario, I select the tiny map, but in the next screen I can only select my civilization and nothing else. As a result, there are 29 factions crammed onto the tiny map. So now I understand that everyone is fighting for space to settle. What do I have to do to be able to select opponents? I tried unchecking the "Custom Player Data" option in the "Scenario" menu and it solved the problem, but the civilizations lost their treasury, starting technologies, government, etc. What do I have to do to play a random map without losing all of this?
You can manually select opponents as "none" for 23 of them on the game start screen and leave 5 rivals for you to fight.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, IT WORKS! Since you are an expert, let me ask you a few more questions:

Thank you in advance for any help!
1. This is a consequence of having Military alliances enabled (as well as being weaker than your opponent). This will not happen so much if you edit the tech Writing by removing the military alliance option. Personally I have replaced Military alliances at Writing with the Trade Embargo and Mutual Protection Pact settings. The game remains plenty violent enough, but doesn't have so many alliances for and against the human player. Plus, I can be more likely to stand up to a more powerful bully without it always being a stupid, game ending move.

If you do try this, restore the AI aggression levels to their default or it would be a very tame game.

Top Bottom