[SDK] Using Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

@glider1

I really think that you don't need to go back to VS2005 and download the PSDK. The version of VS doesn't affect the building process as it is controlled totally by the makefile. The debugger should work with any windows DLL or EXE file. The format for such files hasn't changed.

You may try setting BTS to be started from within VS when debugging. In the properties dialog for the project select Debugging in the left side. On the right you will find Command -> Insert the full path of BTS exe file. In the command arguments insert mod=\"name of mod". Now if you choose Start Debugging from the debug menu or hit the F5 key BTS should start and load the mod. If you have set a breakpoint BTS should continue running until the breakpoint is reached then control returns to VS where you can step through the code and inspect variables values.

I confess I haven't tried this process but it should work.

Just EXCELLENT instructions.
Got it working with VS 2008 prof. and the makefile by Jean Elcard.
Build succeeded and working with Civ!
I hope to get debugging to work too.

Big thanks to everyone!!

placeholder

Ok, I'm totally confused. I was fine up until step 11. I don't have a NMake option! And then almost everything after that isn't there! I was able to remove the debug option and to rename Release to Final_Release, but since there was no NMake I'm not sure if they were the right ones. I'm using a Vista machine with Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition, version 9.0.21022.8. Hope you can help me. ;)

P.S If anyone could get some screenies it would be a lot easier. :thumbsup:

Are you sure you created a "Makefile Project" in step 9 ?

In any case you can call for nmake from VC++ console - nmake Final_Release or something.

there should be a menu point somewhere "Tools -> Visual C++ Command Prompt" or something similar.

Then you navigate to the folder where your files are (cd .. ) and call nmake Final_Release (Or whatever target you defined/need) from there.

So I found the CvGameCoreDLL.vcproj and deleted it. I can't find, CvGameCoreDLL.vcproj.vspcc., it's not there. What should I do?

You was supposed to delete it, if it would have been there, so it being missing is not a big problem :lol:

So now I'm on step 10. I click project- add existing item, and the window comes up. I choose everything and click add. Then a window comes up and says that CvGameCoreDLL.ncb is already in use. Select a new name or close the file in use by another application. I closed all of my applications except the program itself. It still says that. What should I do?

I need to edit the original post because some things are slightly different when using VS2008.

--- On Step 10, select everything EXCEPT any .sln or .ncb files

So now I did everything, but it says:

1>Stop.
1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Makefile project actions"
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Xenia\Desktop\Work Folder\CvGameCoreDLL\Final_Release\BuildLog.htm"
1>CvGameCoreDLL - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Also .sln, .ncb, and vc.proj did not work.

This is the build log:

Attachments

• Build Log.doc
    30 KB · Views: 97
I can't believe they need to make that a Word document....

Anyhow, this line is the actual error:
Code:
NMAKE : fatal error U1052: file 'Final_Release' not found
Stop.
Go through step 11 again and make sure the configuration was renamed to
Code:
Final_Release
It needs to be exact, including the underscore.

Also double-check the rest of that step where you enter the nmake command lines.

I'm sure that I did everything right:
First I deleted the CvGameCoreDLL.vcproj and Final_Release to make a new project. Then I went to File- New- Project. Choose Makefile project and named it CvGameCoreDLL. In the Makefile wizard, clicked next, erased the Output box and clicked finish. I then added the text, user, and suo files. Then I went to the CvgameCoreDLL Properties Pages. Selected Nmake and went to the Configuration Manager. I removed ‘Debug’ and renamed ‘Release’ to ‘Final_Release’ in both places. Then, I typed nmake Final_Release into the Build Command Line. Then, nmake clean Final_Release and on the next line, nmake Final_Release in the Rebuild All Command Line window. Finally, nmake clean Final_Release was typed in the Clean Command Line window.

This is the solution:

1>------ Build started: Project: CvGameCoreDLL, Configuration: Final_Release Win32 ------
1>Performing Makefile project actions
1>Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 9.00.21022.08
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
1>NMAKE : fatal error U1052: file 'Final_Release' not found
1>Stop.
1>Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Makefile project actions"
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Xenia\Desktop\Work Folder\CvGameCoreDLL\Final_Release\BuildLog.htm"
1>CvGameCoreDLL - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Can someone please help???

It sounds to me, as your makefile is missing - otherwise it shouldnt search for a file called final_release.

Thanks, I think that this tutorial will be easier.

Top Bottom