Search and Rescue: A Survival/Horror AC

CivOasis

Ahuizotl
You're searching for a Mr. Daniel O'Neill, who went missing in the area approximately a week ago. Those who reported him missing are being disturbingly tight-lipped about his activities in the region, and the police are currently considering his situation suspicious and investigating any known individuals who were connected to Mr. O'Neill, especially in this area. For these reasons, we have less information than we would generally care for, and we ask you to use significant caution in your search.

Remember, your task is to find out what happened to Mr. O'Neill, and bring him back - safely, if he's still alive. We unfortunately don't have enough information to state whether or not we believe him to be so at this time. You are not here to play hero, and you do us no good if we need to send a team out to rescue you.

One more thing. We don't know who - or what - else is out there. Be careful.

Welcome to my latest action chat, Search and Rescue! After a successful run of what was originally intended to be a one-and-done mission, I've decided to expand this into a full series, and I invite you all to join.

In this game, you'll all be playing as members of a SaR team in a remote part of the Adirondack Mountains of New York. Your job is to find out what happened to Daniel O'Neill, who went missing in the region six days ago. As a result, you'll be dispatched in varying teams, whose only contact with each other during missions will be by radio - an occasionally unreliable and often frustratingly incomplete method of communication. To model this, participants not within speaking distance of each other will be playing within different chats, with me relaying radio communication - assuming its possible at all. Players not on mission, assuming there are any, will be invited to join me in the "Base Camp" chat as well, where you can try your hand and managing logistics and information, though this component is not a required part of the game.

If you're not present IC, you're not present OOC - chats are restricted to active participants only, to further the immersion of this game.

I'm trained in real-life wilderness search and rescue, as well (partially in the Adirondacks and Catskills, to boot), so I'm trying to incorporate as much RL knowledge as I can while still making this fun and accessible to those who have no experience.

In addition, I would like to point out that this AC is about a little more than trying to find a guy while running around in the woods. This is a survival and horror game, and while I've asked participants not to relay actual events that shouldn't be known OOC, I think they can confirm that I'm taking those parts quite seriously. It's entirely possible for your character to get injured or die, and I am tracking those - and your supplies - in between missions.

A lot of focus in this game goes into the horror, which occurs partially through events and partially through psychological processes. I will not confirm what is in your character's head and what is not; that would ruin the mystery.

If you wish to join this game, please give me the following:
Name:
Codename (If you don't wish to use your CFC name):
Occupation (You're either under the US Forest Service or a volunteer for SaR):
Physical Description:
Useful Skills:
Please keep these realistic. I will not accept a jack-of-all trades who just happens to run a mafia undercover. Keep in mind that your character has certainly gone through a rather thorough background check.
Also, reiteration of my personal rule of only permitting original characters.

While this thread is a fantastic spot for posting AARs (when appropriate) and asking questions, we will be working primarily out of a social group, which I will add you to once your sign-up has been properly completed.

Have fun!

Reserved for characters and other important stuff

Current Players (none of whom have bios yet, because they come from the original mission):
Scarlet_King
west india man
Double A
arya126
Red Spy
Tyo

I swear to god if anyone reads anything scary cryptic aloud I will shank them.

Check your PMs and the SG for details on important notes about your characters. Also, character details requested.

Name: Levi Ackerman
Codename: Titan
Occupation: Volunteer for the SaR (Martial Arts Instructor and former soldier)
Physical Description: Short, moderately long black hair, skinny,
Useful Skills: Hand to Hand Combat, Very Fast and Agile, decent tracking, can force self to go without food and water for longer than most others, semi-stealthy
Drawbacks: Not very strong, short, insomniac, PTSD,

Former Israeli Soldier who moved to America for a fresh start after a particularly nasty battle where he was holed up by himself for 2 weeks straight left him with PTSD afterwards. He tries to occasionally volunteer for SaR and firefighting in order to distract himself from his PTSD by helping others.

I will not ever be referring to your character as "Titan."

Filling out for completion

Name: August Salazar
Codename (If you don't wish to use your CFC name): Scarlet
Occupation (You're either under the US Forest Service or a volunteer for SaR): Volunteer
Physical Description: Tall. Somewhat lanky. Brown hair, brown eyes.
Useful Skills: Reading maps, mechanical ability, competent with firearms.

Name: Helen Ogilvy
Codename: Can't
Physical Description: Short, plump, rosy-cheeked with long curly hair.
Useful Skills: Opera Voice, perfect pitch, impeccable sense of direction, and ability to break items due to elite clumsiness skills.

A clumsy yet brilliant young alto Helen though only 24 years of age has performed throughout Europe in some of the greatest opera venues. Two years ago she decided to move from her family home in Airlie, Scotland over to the United States of America in order to try and hit it big in the America Opera scene. So far she has hated it nearly completely and views Americans as highly uncultured. Her only escape from the vicious American entertainment system has been in the outdoors as a search and rescue volunteer.

So I gather that a standard Kinich character would not be welcome here?

Yeah. I'd love to have you on board, but this isn't exactly a lighthearted story this time around.

Name: Professor Harvey Igle
Codename: Arrow
Occupation: Professor of Ancient Linguistics at Yale University
Physical Description: Tall, bespectacled 40-something year old man with hair already graying and strong hands. His chin is pretty strong, too.
Useful Skills: Reads: ancient Hebrew, Latin, Greek, Ancient Egyptian, can muddle his way through most Germanic languages; speaking: Latin, Greek, French, Japanese; general intelligence; charismatic

Name: Oleg Pavlov
Codename: Barada
Physical Description: Man of Russian descent and ethnicity, 34 years of age. Has a beard. Fairly strong and works as firefighter.
Useful Skills: Decently strong, knows how to use an axe.

Sub post, character coming eventually

Since KE has already explained his idea to me (and I accepted what I knew of it), putting a ban from here on out on any additional characters with a military or paramilitary background. You're working for the US Forest Service, not the police force, let alone the army. It'd be a bit odd to see so many people with combat experience show up for a random mission that is predominantly medical in nature...

Everyone knows the only skill really necessary is Opera Voice.

Name: Russell Abbott
Codename: Red
Physical Description: Slightly short with long and straight brown hair. Average weight.
Useful Skills: Basic wilderness knowledge and medical information picked up through volunteer work.

If either last night's team or a new team is available, I can almost certainly run a mission later tonight.

Also, a reminder to finish bios for those of you who haven't completed a full sign up yet

Name: Theodore Green
Codename: Vin
Physical Description: Large man with long black hair and a lot of muscles.
Useful Skills: First aid, good sense of direction, speaks French

Name: Jack Ivanov
Codename: Tyo
Physical Description: tall and thin, kinda squarish/pentagonish head. a tad stronger than he looks.
Useful Skills: He graduated highschool? + A fairly decent survival instinct that has yet to actually be tested.

Top Bottom