Secretly supporting allies.

So, I know were supposed to try and win the game but sometimes I just play for fun. What I mean by this is secretly giving an AI that is struggling in a war extra units so that they survive. In my most recent game, I had Declarations of Friendship with several Civs, but to keep it this way I couldn't simply declare war on someone or otherwise it would lead to a chain reaction. So when the Iroquois, one of the major powers in my game (who I'm friendly with) started attacking Siam (who I liberated and was also friendly with me), I secretly gifted Siam Riflemen and Cannons so they wouldn't get overrun. I didn't want the Iroquois to become too powerful, but I couldn't declare war either. They managed to hold the line until I bribed the Iroquois for peace. I guess it could be technically used offensively as well, allowing you to have proxy wars like during the Cold War. Has anyone ever tried this?

Yes...I've done this and enjoy the strategy as it is more emmersive for the player IMHO. However, the game mechanics don't reward or play to this advanced method of play. The programmers could really help themselves along with the obvious AI diplomatic issues this game suffers from by simply reading some Nixon and Kissinger. Not every nation "Plays to win".

I'll do it more with CS's than with other Civs, pretty much just to keep them occupied and weaken their forces before I invade.

There is something especially amusing about a CS taking a pounding and then turning around to suddenly produce half a dozen tanks out of nowhere!

Yes...I've done this and enjoy the strategy as it is more emmersive for the player IMHO. However, the game mechanics don't reward or play to this advanced method of play. The programmers could really help themselves along with the obvious AI diplomatic issues this game suffers from by simply reading some Nixon and Kissinger. Not every nation "Plays to win".

I agree. I find fighting 'hot' wars rather tedious, but I am more than happy to supply the enemy of my enemy with units. But it can be just as tedious moving the units across the world to their actual territory. Why can't we gift units to AI characters as easily as gifting to city states?

I think that such gifting should translate into diplomatic bonuses with the receiving state.

I play all my games like that. My final goal is winning, but not as fast as possible. I help civs I like.

Now if I could like civs in civ5...

Two Points:

1. I always help my CS allies who are being attacked -- to the extent that I can afford to give up my own military units. My problem with this is that the CS doesn't use my gifted units just to defend itself. Nooo..ooo! Given the slightest break in the attack, then the CS will send these units out to commit suicide against the nearest enemy city.:mad:

2. If a civ you are friendly with is at war with one of your CS allies, you can always get the friendly civ to make peace with the CS -- trade menu of the diplomacy screen, choose "other players." The only time they won't make peace is when that particular CS has declared perma-war on them.

This is civilization 5 AI is not designed for players who want interact with AI

Moderator Action: If you don't provide a bit more background about your opinion, then such post are considered spam.

This is civilization 5 AI is not designed for players who want interact with AI

And this is an issue with some of us, an issue we'd like to see resolved. In a good Civ game you should be able to take your own path, either war or peace, or as a lot of folks around here express it, either as a builder or a war monger. In Civ V having this choice is not always there. Some games you can play peacefully, but most not. Also, the AI Civs do not have a predictable nature, other than them being totally schizophrenic. Under the present game engine, this is not that hard to fix. All the AI civs are simply xml files that can be changed, and an AIs attitude is the same. The ability to have more positive modifyers for diplomacy shouldn't be that hard. They did a little of that in the last patch.

This is not something that would take an expanssion pack to fix, this is just another patch adjusting stuff that is already in their code.

And this is an issue with some of us, an issue we'd like to see resolved. In a good Civ game you should be able to take your own path, either war or peace, or as a lot of folks around here express it, either as a builder or a war monger. In Civ V having this choice is not always there. Some games you can play peacefully, but most not. Also, the AI Civs do not have a predictable nature, other than them being totally schizophrenic. Under the present game engine, this is not that hard to fix. All the AI civs are simply xml files that can be changed, and an AIs attitude is the same. The ability to have more positive modifyers for diplomacy shouldn't be that hard. They did a little of that in the last patch.

This is not something that would take an expanssion pack to fix, this is just another patch adjusting stuff that is already in their code.

yeah in civ5 diplomacy lacks in substance and the AI is average

Moderator Action: If you don't provide a bit more background about your opinion, then such post are considered spam.

Top Bottom