Securom error with Disk in Drive

Model Citizen

Chieftain
I'm having a problem launching my game from the desktop icon when the Colonization disk is already in the drive. When I try to launch it I get a Securom error saying I need to insert the disk, even though its already in there.

The only way to launch the game is to open my disk drive and then close it again with the disk still inside, launching the autorun.exe which finally prompts me to play the game. It is not stopping me from playing, but it is annoying opening and closing my disk drive every time I want to play. Is anyone else having this problem?

Also why would Firaxis use SecurRom in the first place? Surely there is some other version of copy protection they could have use. Securom has such a bad name right now with all the DRM problems people are having with Bioshock and Spore. I was very disappointed when I realized Firaxis was using any form of this malware for copy protection. It will definately make me rethink any further Firaxis purchases in the future because I won't be certain what level of DRM malware will be installed on my system until its too late.

I have the exact same problem, and the securerom message too. I also have to open and close my drive till it starts up. What do you want to bet the pirates are not having any such problem :/

I always use "no cd" cracks with my legally purchased versions anyways. Simple reason is that I play multiple games, and I don't want to have to insert the game CD for each and every game I play. It gets annoying, and I rather just keep my original CD's safe.

for those of you with multiple drives, try popping it into the opposite drive you installed on. it could be that the drm settings are different on mine even though the computer says otherwise, but this cut out that problem entirely for me. I was getting very angry about it, too.

talked to tech support @ securerom, they say create a new user on your computer that does NOT have admin rights, use that one

talked to tech support @ securerom, they say create a new user on your computer that does NOT have admin rights, use that one

To be honest, that is f'ing lame. Why should I have to jump through extremely odd shaped hoops to get my property to work correctly? Hopefully there will be a patch to fix/remove this like another game (Supcom, or CoH, or Sins...can't remember).

One odd thing, though. I tried to play BtS today, and for some reason it didn't recognize the CD (not the same message though). I did have a custom startup that stopped Windows Messenger from starting, so when I changed msconfig to have that startup, BtS worked. But, Colonization still didn't work...So yes I'm using a no-CD crack, which also allows Colonization to load up much faster than the one time the CD did work. Only thing that sucks is that if there's a patch, then you have to wait for a new crack.

You don't need to open/close the drive - you can launch the autorun if you doubleclick (Or Right Click -> Autoplay) the cd drive in Explorer / File Manager / My Computer...

Its not really a solution, but still a bit less annoying than to open the cd-drive every time.

Yes, very annoying! I went to their site and their suggestion was to check my drive settings. They were fine but I still get the error saying that it isn't verified in time.

I played this game several times over the course of two days with no problems. Then I went to play it again and got the securom error, even though I had the original disc in the drive. I would have to take out my cd then try to start it again that way and it would sometimes work.

I had to do this many times (because I was having a problem loading saved games, it would crash on load for most), and eventually, it would not recognize the cd at all and it would only give me the securom error.

I finally went and installed it on my desktop (that was all on my laptop) and played it from there. I am not happy with this game so far.

Top Bottom