setting a city limit

MetaKing

Chieftain
Is there a way to set a limit for the number of cities a civilization can have?

I would like to play a game where every player is allowed only 10 cities, so the game
would be all about where you put your cities and not so much about how fast and how
big you can get.

I don't believe there is a way to do that. But as this question is more for Creation & Customization, I'll move it there and the experts there can confirm.

The only thing I can think of is to have settlers only available for a limited point in the game - with a tech which upgrades them to a non-settler unit at some point (maybe even a worker). It wouldn't guarantee exactly 10 settlers per civ though.

What Rob said is excellent way to go.

If you want settlers to be 'spread out over time', You would have to get creative to get something close to that in an epic-type mod.

For epic, you can use a wonder that auto-produces settlers and goes obsolete with a tech. That would let you give a time-limit for auto-production. To make sure human players don't abuse it and keep making settlers, you could make the tech that obsoletes the wonder very powerful, so that way it may weigh heavily in favor to research it asap. This way you can use timing to get the number you want (how long to research to that tech by how often settlers are auto-produced from an improvement like palace).

Hope this helps a bit.

Well, one way to do it would be to give every civ 10 'citizen' units at the start of the game that could upgrade to settlers on a tech-determined clock, i.e., discover aquaduct, Roman citizen upgrades to settler; discover irrigation, one Persian citizen can upgrade to settler, etc. They'd all have to be specifically flagged so that everyone gets just one upgrade for each...

I made a small wonder (settler farm) available at the beginning of the game and goes
absolete after writing. it produces a settler every 10 turns.

Ordinary settlers cannot be build since they require a special settler strategic resource who
has a appearance rate of 0 percent. This seems to work and give every player a max of about

Better would be if the global maximum cities could be set to let's say 100 (with 10 civs each
about 10 cities), because then you could abandon a less important city and build a new
more important luxury colony city. (now you have to keep one or two in reserve)

Later i gonna try balthasar's method because that would spread settlers more out during
the game.

Out of curiosity, if it's possible to remove city limits from the game, shouldn't it be possible to merely change city limits, not remove them entirely? That way, you could set the global city limit to say, 100, and then have an improvement or wonder auto-produce settlers. If the palace does it, you can ensure that all players get an equal shot at founding 10 cities, and if one gets destroyed or abandoned, another could take its place.

I can see a few flaws in this system, but overall, it seems like it should approximate MetaKing's, idea, right?

There is a city limit in the game (512 max) and it cant be changed. (so i have read)
But if you could change something in the game so every city counts as 5 cities in 1, that
limit would be reached 5 times as fast and at 102 cities.

Top Bottom