Settling on deer/grasslands for 3 food

I am sure somebody posted this somewhere but...

I just discovered that if you settle on deer/grasslands (can't be a hill, has to have green grass under the woods) you get 3 food in your cap instead of 2, and it increases to 4 with granary!

At first I thought it might be civ dependent, but tried with several and it still worked.

It didn't work for bananas or wheat... but then again I have never seen those 2 have grasslands under the tile.

It was about time! :lol:

Like cows, you can get the ''extra'' from his building(cow for stables, +1 prod).

Personnally i try to avoid that because you don't really gain anything from it, excepted when you have a lot of them, which happen only when playing Legendary starts. You also lose a hpt since that you destroy the forest when you settle on it(forested grassland deer = 2f/1h).

I try to gain food from plain/hills tiles instead. But heh, i didn't see your starting spot so maybe it was pretty obvious to settle on that deer.

Hmm, interesting. I never knew that. So tundra, and plains it won't work. But grasslands it will? And only dear? Strange.

Hmm, interesting. I never knew that. So tundra, and plains it won't work. But grasslands it will? And only dear? Strange.

Basically the city tile does not decrease any yields on the tile. You get 2 food and one hammer automatically from the city tile, and if you settle on something which has more (ie hill with 2 hammers or deer on grassland with 3 food) you get the increased yield.

You don't want to settle on salt. Settling a city on a plains salt tile gives 2 food, 1 hammer and 1 gold -- same yield as the unimproved salt tile. Settle on another tile and set your first citizen to work the salt tile, and as soon as you can improve that tile it yields 3 food, 2 hammers and 1 gold.

That's right, if there are no good hills to settle on, I also like to settle on Plantation resource tiles such as Wines or Cottons. The bonus yield from their associated improvement is weak enough that they're unnecessary.

Another thing I like to do is chop flat grass or plains deer or truffles. Chopping a plains forest doesn't change its base 1/1 yield, and the deer or truffles still allow you to build a camp on it. In fact, chopping a grass forest changes it to a 1/1 to a 2/0 tile, and I like that because I like having more food and some free hammers.

Top Bottom