Settling ties in major sporting events

denyd

Emperor
After watching a replay of a world cup game (on ESPN classic), I think it's a good idea for all sports to settle ties the way soccer does with penalty kicks.

For basketball, if the score is tied at the end of regulation in basketball, a 5 minute overtime then free throw shooting until one team gets ahead by 2 alternating players.

For the NFL, the standard 15 minute overtime, follow by a field goal kicking contest. Start at the 10 and move back 5 yards per kick until someone misses.

Hockey could use the same system as soccer. No more playoff games going overtime and messing up the TV schedule.

For baseball, I wavering between tobacco spitting and who can blow the biggest bubble gum bubble.

[BTW: For those thinking I'm serious about this, gotcha. I was quite disappointed to see a hard fought game be settled by penalty kicks. Why not follow the lead of the NHL and remove a player every 10 minutes of overtime uuntil either it's 5 on 5 or until someone scores.]

I think they could settle ties in basketball and baseball by not playing the games.

I have always thought penalty kicks were a little weird, but being an American, I don't know that I have standing to advocate change. I do wonder what would happen if they went to a hockey format, though. It seems like all the players would either be walking or balled up with cramps by the third or fourth OT.

By fighting to the death. First team to die, loses.

Penalties are great. Most certainly the best way of solving that problem.

But in a decent league system there isn't even a reason to settle a tie.

I think the system in baseball and basketball is fine. In the NFL, they play for the extra two quarters and at the end of that, if there is no score, then the game is a tie (unless its a playoff game). I've only seen this happen once in all these years. Baseball as far as I know keeps playing the game till someone scores. I think in basketball they keep adding new quarters (or time periods) if things keep coming up tied.

The system is fine for the sport. Football (soccer) is a much more low scoring game (teams will score maybe once or twice on average whereas in American football a team would score about three to five times on average) so the possiblity of a tie through extra time is more likely.

Hockey could use the same system as soccer. No more playoff games going overtime and messing up the TV schedule.

Spoken like someone who has never watched a shred of hockey in his entire life.

Sudden death overtime has been in hockey ever since its creation. I would personally shoot anyone who tried to institute penalty shots in a league I actually care about. The AHL can do it, fine, I don't care about them. But if the NHL, WHL, or PIJHL tried it, I'd kill their commissioners. Penalty shots are boring, plain and simple. There's nothing exciting about them. I'd rather watch another 30 minutes of hitting and skating instead of guys go one on one with the goalie ten times over.

The vast majority of hockey fans share my feelings.

Pasi Nurminen said:
Spoken like someone who has never watched a shred of hockey in his entire life.

Sudden death overtime has been in hockey ever since its creation. I would personally shoot anyone who tried to institute penalty shots in a league I actually care about. The AHL can do it, fine, I don't care about them. But if the NHL, WHL, or PIJHL tried it, I'd kill their commissioners. Penalty shots are boring, plain and simple. There's nothing exciting about them. I'd rather watch another 30 minutes of hitting and skating instead of guys go one on one with the goalie ten times over.

The vast majority of hockey fans share my feelings.

Exactly. It's like settling a baseball game with a Home Run derby, or a basketball game with free throws. Make them fight it out to the end!

removing players from the fields? It will not help scoring a goal. Can you imagine those poor tired players, how can they run through all the field and produce something spectacular.....hockey players have got the skates, you know

To those who think my comments were serious :blush:

I just found it silly (and frustrating) to watch a couple of hours of a great soccer game and to have it settled on penalty kicks. I agree with those who commented about hockey's playoff drama as I've enjoyed numerous overtime games. I think that soccer should find a better solution to tie games in tournaments such as the World Cup.

Rhye said:
removing players from the fields? It will not help scoring a goal. Can you imagine those poor tired players, how can they run through all the field and produce something spectacular.....hockey players have got the skates, you know
It's not the skates. It's the line changes.

denyd said:
I just found it silly (and frustrating) to watch a couple of hours of a great soccer game and to have it settled on penalty kicks. I agree with those who commented about hockey's playoff drama as I've enjoyed numerous overtime games. I think that soccer should find a better solution to tie games in tournaments such as the World Cup.

Penalties seem to be the best solution, football doesn't have unlimited substitions so it would be unfeasable to have the game go on until a winning goal is scored. Removing players would seem too strange as you force teams to play with an unusually low amount of players where there would be too much space and at some point it would be too easy to score. Penalties do have an entertainment value in that you don't want to watch but you keep on watching, hoping that somehow your team scores.

If a World Cup quarterfinal game went into 4 or 5+ overtimes, then you might as well eliminate them both, cause they ain't winning the next game.

And penalty kicks ARE EXCITING.

BTW, I liked the Golden Goal.

You can't elimate them both as otherwise the team in the semi final would have a bye to the final which they would then have a huge advantage in.

ummmm........ said:
It's not the skates. It's the line changes.

That's a good point. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there some kind of limit for substitutions in Soccer?

Basketball and Football don't have any problems as overtime usually resolves itself within a period of time that isn't too long. Baseball is one sport that usually does not resolve itself quickly, but it takes so long anyway, adding a sudden death extra innings doesn't decrease the excitement (only the pitching staff is really hurt by the extra time, but it often makes it more interesting, especially in a playoff game when you would be facing the same team the next day anyway).

Louis XXIV said:
That's a good point. If I'm not mistaken, isn't there some kind of limit for substitutions in Soccer?

Basketball and Football don't have any problems as overtime usually resolves itself within a period of time that isn't too long. Baseball is one sport that usually does not resolve itself quickly, but it takes so long anyway, adding a sudden death extra innings doesn't decrease the excitement (only the pitching staff is really hurt by the extra time, but it often makes it more interesting, especially in a playoff game when you would be facing the same team the next day anyway).

Point taken. I've seen that happen with the Leafs a couple of times in the Playoffs. Makes for exciting viewing. Scary when the other team gets the pressure on, dissapointing when the other teams goalie makes a big save, but what a rush when your team scores!

And back to back overtime games mean it's a really good series!

Dell19 said:
You can't elimate them both as otherwise the team in the semi final would have a bye to the final which they would then have a huge advantage in.

I think you missed the point here - any team that goes through to a semi after an extended extra time period in the quarter will be in no condition to comptete effectively. They have little chance. The rest period is too short to make up. Injuries too are far more likely to happen to tired players.

At least the team in the semi final still has to play a game. If they were both elimated then you don't just screw up one game you screw up two instead which would also include the final in this case.

Hitro said:
Penalties are great. Most certainly the best way of solving that problem.

But in a decent league system there isn't even a reason to settle a tie.

Penalties are only great if you win them...

God, they can be depressing.

Yet, I think I won't soon forget the Sweden-Holland match of last summer. Standing on the 5th row behind Edwin van der Sar :D .

Attachments

• Zweden.jpg
    Zweden.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 6,527
Top Bottom