Seven Years War (for BtS)

jeffah3539

Leviathan
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14518

There are screenshots on the DL page.

This is the Seven Years' War, a conflict which engulfed all of Europe's major powers between 1756 and 1763. It was fought between Prussia, Great Britain, and a small contingent of German states on one side and Austria, France, Russia, and Sweden on the other side. The conflict began with fighting between the French and English colonists in North America in 1754 which later spread to open war between France and England after the French invasion of British-held Minorca in April 1756. Frederick II of Prussia had captured the territory of Silesia from Austria during earlier wars and feared that Austria would attempt to seek revenge as soon as possible. Against British advice, he chose to pre-emptively invade neutral Saxony as a prelude to war with Austria. This activated a series of alliances which resulted in France, Austria, Russia, and Sweden all declaring war on Prussia. The war which Winston Churchill described as the "first World War" had begun.

Despite being heavily outnumbered and often fighting on three or four fronts at one time, Frederick established himself as the finest general of his era by fighting all of the armies arrayed against him to a stalemate and maintaining the pre-war territorial status quo. Napoleon himself paid tribute to Frederick's military genius; remarking while visiting Frederick's tomb in Potsdam after his defeat of the Fourth Coalition: "Gentlemen, if this man were still alive I would not be here."

In North America, where the conflict would be known as the French and Indian War, the British sent troops to aid the American colonists and their Iroquois allies in the conquest of French Canada and their Algonquin allies. The most lasting impact of the war would be the British territorial gains in America at the expense of the French. After Spain entered the war at the behest of the French, they lost Florida to the British, and, as compensation, France was forced to transfer part of New Orleans and the Louisiana territory to Spain in the Treaty of Paris which ended the war.

The scenario begins in April of 1756 and lasts for seven years (84 turns) until 1763 with monthly turns. You can play as Prussia, Great Britain, France, Austria, Russia, or Sweden. Prussia has the strongest units to start but they are outnumbered by the armies which their neighbors can raise against them. Britain has the strongest navy by far but a small army which might be best utilized in the colonies. France, Austria, and Russia have sizable armies and the capacity to produce even more troops, but they must contend with the veteran, well-trained, and well-led armies of Frederick.

Will you play as Frederick and attempt to establish the ascendancy of the Prussian state in Europe? Or will you attempt to establish British colonial dominance? Or will you attempt to maintain the current balance of power playing as Austria, France, Russia, or Sweden? Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy my first scenario!

A big thank you to "Dieter VonClam" for his North Atlantic map which I modified and used for this scenario.

Nice scenario, I like it. You did a pretty good job with it. There are two things which I would recommend you to change. First, Finland was still part of the Swedish Empire during the 7 years war and the second thing I would recommend is to add Denmark. But all in all a very good Scenario.:goodjob::thumbsup:

Very nice. Will check it out as soon as I have time. ;)

A reason why Churchill called it the first worldwar might have been that the conflict also extended to India, where the French lost most of their possessions, paving the way for the future British Indian empire. (But I can see why you didn't want to use a worldmap for this scenario.)

Nice scenario, I like it. You did a pretty good job with it. There are two things which I would recommend you to change. First, Finland was still part of the Swedish Empire during the 7 years war and the second thing I would recommend is to add Denmark. But all in all a very good Scenario.

Thank you :D You are right about Finland, the map I was using used two different shades of yellow for the Swedish and Russian Empires and I had trouble telling the difference. I will fix that. I ran out of civs when I was making it so I couldn't include Denmark. I think I am going to fix it by giving Saxony to Austria since it was basically a protectorate of Austria anyway and usually gets captured on the first turn by Prussia, and use that place to add Denmark and Norway as one neutral civ.

A reason why Churchill called it the first worldwar might have been that the conflict also extended to India, where the French lost most of their possessions, paving the way for the future British Indian empire. (But I can see why you didn't want to use a worldmap for this scenario.)

Yeah, that was basically why I didn't include it. I wanted to focus more on the European battlegrounds while also including the Trans-Atlantic part. Being from the US, as a kid I was taught the French and Indian War, and nobody ever thought that it might be worthwhile to mention that it was also a fairly major European war. That was what piqued my curiosity about it and one of the reasons why I wanted to make the scenario. The other reason was that there aren't very many musket-era scenarios out there.

It´s a very good scenario, but I want to know how It can changed the players. When you begin the scenario you can choose diferents nations (France, England...), but no Spain. Can you show me the way to change it, or can you actualize this scenario?

It´s a very good scenario, but I want to know how It can changed the players. When you begin the scenario you can choose diferents nations (France, England...), but no Spain. Can you show me the way to change it, or can you actualize this scenario?

I think you can edit the World Builder save by loading it in World Builder, making Spain a playable nation, and then resaving it. Then, boot it up as a scenario and you should be good to go.

I came across this searching for Seven Years Wars threads over in the History subforum, and I can't believe I missed this when you released it. I like how you included the North American and European maps together, which cuts down on having to program events for the French and British fighting over there. Did you use a particular scaling factor (i.e. 1 Civ unit corresponds to 2-3 brigades)?

If I can make a minor nitpick, most nations had dedicated grenadier battalions at this point, and usually deployed them in a 1:3 or greater ratio to standard musketmen (depends on the nation, I don't have precise figures at the moment). So, I enabled Military Science for my playthrough and changed the infantry component of the Prussian Army invading Saxony to contain 6 muskets and 2 grenadiers instead of 8 muskets. Given the long build times and multiple fronts in this scenario (at first, once you start consolidating, take Denmark, make peace with either the French or Russians, etc. it's not too bad), players might find it more worthwhile to produce musketmen over grenadier replacements, so that adds another factor the player must consider when rebuilding his armed forces.

In a future playthrough, I might try assigning a number of grenadier units to each nation but leave Military Science turned off at the start--that way, your elite infantry cannot be replaced, at least not until late in the war. Gives you a different take when making tactical decisions...are you going to risk your irreplaceable elite troops? Or send in the weaker musket brigades first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar

I think you can edit the World Builder save by loading it in World Builder, making Spain a playable nation, and then resaving it. Then, boot it up as a scenario and you should be good to go.

I tried to change at the World Builder, but I can´t set up Spain a playable nation. I don´t find this option. Would you show me the way?
:confused:

Hello

I´ve tried to set up Spain as a playable nation (again). In world build saver, in the main menu, the way you described... But I can´t. Would you change the download file to another file which will be able to play every civilizations?. If it´s no posible, would you describe the set up with images?.

;)

This is a version that allows you to play as all civs. This is the guide I used to learn all of my worldbuilder experience.

Attachments

• Seven Years War.zip
    47.9 KB · Views: 366
With the instructions GGRachus I get increase the turns for 84 to 500. I did This change because when I was ready to attack the games end. With this change I enjoyed a lot.

Thank very much for learning the way to set up the scenario.:goodjob:

Hi, I'm trying to download this scenario but I cannot find it! Just the patch taht allows to play with all civs....

Awesome mod. Two things though. It seems to get hung up right when the traditional game ends, like end of turns. It won't process through to one.... more.... turn..... or just ending the game. And Austria was an ally of france in the SYW, not an enemy

And I remember many years ago you can mod a scenario in game as CIv III had an application to bring up the map. All you have to do is click on world builder after clicking escape?

Last edited:
I find this scenario highly enjoyable modding out the wars. So if you want to go at it with another civ you can pick the time. Nice map and nice faction choices too

I've been playing around with this, renaming Iroquois cities correctly as the 5 nations once stood (1722 a 6th nation was added, but there's no room on the map for them) The game seems balanced, except cities grow at enormous rates, not the worst thing. and of course technologies are researched rather quick, but that seems to hold for all CIV IV mods. Love the map and era, so addicted to keep modding. Of course i gave the Iroquois and Algonquin British and French technology respectfully, to better represent their strength at the time and so they don't get wiped off the map on turn 3 (to say)

Last edited:
Top Bottom