SG Interest?

The last game was on a large map, so I think we're all looking for some respite in a standard map.

We're talking about the NoAIPatrol flag, right? I have it set to =0 (recommended for smarter barbs), but in the last game we didn't have barbs (I'm not a fan of goody huts). If we use barbs it seems best for all of us to have the same setting, whether it's =0 or =1.

If there's still places available, then I'm up for the next one as well (if you want me!). Standard map would also be fine by me.

Not sure about DG/Deity though. I appear to have forgotten how to play CivIII, because my last couple of solo Large All-Random Emp-games have all gone/are going really poorly...
Spoiler Litany of disasters... :
Hittites:
Small island start (space for 10 towns at strict CxxC), Iron + Horses but no freshwater, took me ages to conquer the Romans on the larger island next door (using Maces), the Dutch to the south (using Cavs), and the Iroquois halfway round the world (Cavs/Tanks); eventually lost a Space-Race to Egypt​
Koreans:
Tiny island start (5 towns at Cx[x]C), no freshwater, Iron appeared under an already-founded town; 2 tiles from a 5-Civ continent (the other continent held the other 6 Civs); Maces eventually conquered the neighbouring Ottomans, but then the Egyptian/Viking Cav+Rifle-invasions started, gave up​
Ottomans:
North end of a long stringy Continent, 2 Luxes and Iron-Mountains but no freshwater; preparing to invade the Germans to the south by building Warriors for upgrading, but just after I'd hooked up my Iron, the Vikings started massive cross-ocean Sword-invasions; lost my Wine-town and then my capital, gave up​
Arabs (current):
Got tired of island starts, so chose a 70% Continents map this time; rolled a decent-sized island all to myself — but 90% is Tundra/Hills, with a 1-tile frozen lake, and no resources. Founded a small core at CxxC, beelined to Philo, made it first and took Lit, converted a build-in-progress to the GLib, but then lost the tech-monopoly and the GLib to a SunTzu Wonder-cascade :wallbash: (Still) can't reach the nearest continent safely (lost about half a dozen Archer-filled Galleys trying, eventually managed to land 5 Archers — just to take a single crappy Iroquois Tundra-town as a foothold...). Now ICS-ing and Culture-building, while trying to reach Astro to re-invade with LBMs+Trebs — likely vs. Cavs + Rifles/Infs, at this stage... :rolleyes:
We're talking about the NoAIPatrol flag, right? I have it set to =0 (recommended for smarter barbs), but in the last game we didn't have barbs (I'm not a fan of goody huts). If we use barbs it seems best for all of us to have the same setting, whether it's =0 or =1.
Since an SG is still technically a single-player game (MP-INO?), it shouldn't be game-breaking for the SG-team members' .ini files to have differing settings (unlike a 'real' MP game), but it might mean that the NoAIPatrol=1 players would get slightly 'easier' turnsets (and shorter interturns!) than the NoAIPatrol=0 players.

FTR, I have also set NoAIPatrol=0.

Of course you are, I just didn't want to sign you up without your assent.

I'm fine with playing another emperor game. We could play a Straight-Up game with random map geography, all random civs, and maybe add in some barbs? I'll wait for others to weigh in but that sounds good to me.

To be perfectly honest, I don't mind what settings we play. I generally take what I'm given. Getting the opening plays right is, for me, the hardest part of the game and I remember being particularly impressed with one or two of the individual turnsets early doors in the last game. I certainly wouldn't want a bigger map than that - preferably smaller. Level - Emperor (maybe easier if we decide to go for a ridiculously hard start).
I think Feudalism is my new favourite government though :)
Can we firm up the rules for teleporting units to the capital?

We could play a Straight-Up game with random map geography, all random civs, and maybe add in some barbs?
Sounds good to me!

I could roll some starts, probably tomorrow am (EDT), unless someone else wants to sooner.

I'm ok with using the free palace jump trick, disbanding the capital for a new palace elsewhere. I'm also ok with using combat settlers as long as we plan on keeping the towns we found.
Trading off a town for the sole purpose of sending the troops statoined there to our capital is a step too far, I think. In the last game we could have ended up trading plains island towns to the vikings, sending our units home in the process; this would be ok. Using it to move an unshippable unit or to expedite shipping should be avoided.

If there's still places available, then I'm up for the next one as well (if you want me!). Standard map would also be fine by me.

Not sure about DG/Deity though. I appear to have forgotten how to play CivIII, because my last couple of solo Large All-Random Emp-games have all gone/are going really poorly...

If I'm not mistaken, succession games allow players to kind of "shoot above" what the difficulty level they'd be comfortable with alone. Emperor's totally fine though.

Since an SG is still technically a single-player game (MP-INO?), it shouldn't be game-breaking for the SG-team members' .ini files to have differing settings (unlike a 'real' MP game), but it might mean that the NoAIPatrol=1 players would get slightly 'easier' turnsets (and shorter interturns!) than the NoAIPatrol=0 players.

FTR, I have also set NoAIPatrol=0.

I meant more, I play a lot of online multiplayer. So since online multiplayer requires a different setting, I'd have to edit the .ini files before and after each series of turns I do.

Not a big deal, it's not a play by email game or anything hahah, so it wouldn't be a ton.

Top Bottom