Is there any interest in a stable Vox Populi LAN/Internet experience?

Chippy Smith

Chieftain
Hi! After playing Vox Populi with friends since 2018, I find it difficult to play the new versions by myself. Unfortunately, my group has had issues with early crashes in newer versions using the "MP_MODPACK" method of playing online multiplayer. Crashes / desyncs have always been an issue, but in older versions they tended to mainly show up in later eras, on larger maps, during AI wars; they were controllable to a degree. Our games in newer versions struggle to get out of classical, with crashes being all but fatal to the save during AI wars in Renaissance or later.

This post isn't me asking for advice on what we as players can do (there are many other threads detailing actions we can do to promote stability with CivV's flawed multiplayer system), but is instead me trying to gauge community interest in remote multiplayer Vox Populi; its stability, as well as its unique strategies compared to singleplayer / human vs. AI.

Do most users here enjoy playing Vox Populi singleplayer more, or with friends? Friends as allies, or friends as adversaries? Do strategies / playstyles differ in viability playing in a multiplayer environment vs. playing against AI, or is the optimal playstyle in Vox Populi the same regardless, just like vanilla Civ V? Is Vox Populi doomed to forever be unapproachable as a multiplayer experience, outside of asynchronized hotseat / play by email? Would a dedicated Vox Populi multiplayer instance improve stability to a noticeable degree, or would the effort yield negligible results? Are Civ V's flaws in its implementation of multiplayer too deep-rooted in the game for players to work around or for modders to improve, short of making a whole new game/executable?

Maybe I could stand to acquire a better understanding of the game and its intricacies, but for me, multiplayer Vox Populi is a much fuller strategy experience compared to singleplayer. I feel like Vox Populi is a dynamic multiplayer game due to the viability of numerous playstyles and their interactions; for every specific action taken against a player by player, there is a tangential reaction that player can employ, often utilizing a different game system. This is to say that I believe the variety of ways in which one can play Vox Populi truly shines in a meaningful way in multiplayer. I think that singleplayer Vox Populi is a more rigid meta when trying to play optimally, and that static environment is almost an antithesis to what makes Vox Populi cool.

As a longtime lurker, it was the establishment of the VP Congress that got me to actually use this account. Having a vote in making this game more polished, with more "balance" and meaningful mechanics, was too enticing; I had to end my lurking ways. However, the feature that I think would make Vox Populi THE strategy experience on PC is functional, user friendly multiplayer. If it's impossible because of Firaxis, or it's because of the amount of work required; either way I understand that it's a lot for unpaid developers to address. The fact that we have Vox Populi as is, with regular updates that improve the experience, is just awesome. It's a prime example of fandom gone right, but can we get much higher? Is there any interest in a better Vox Populi multiplayer?

Last edited:
We don't have Firaxis's networking code. We therefore have great difficulty addressing crashes, desyncs and bugs in general.

Much of the VP code is incompatible with MP and we don't know how to resolve it.

Hotseat multiplayer seems less unstable than other versions, from what I've read, but no guarantees.

We don't have Firaxis's networking code. We therefore have great difficulty addressing crashes, desyncs and bugs in general.

Much of the VP code is incompatible with MP and we don't know how to resolve it.

Hotseat multiplayer seems less unstable than other versions, from what I've read, but no guarantees.
Hey Recursive,
Do you know how these were addressed in the past? I recall there were even "official" MP modpacks (maybe even made by Gazebo?) at some point, curious how they used to fix those desync problems

Hi! After playing Vox Populi with friends since 2018, I find it difficult to play the new versions by myself. Unfortunately, my group has had issues with early crashes in newer versions using the "MP_MODPACK" method of playing online multiplayer. Crashes / desyncs have always been an issue, but in older versions they tended to mainly show up in later eras, on larger maps, during AI wars; they were controllable to a degree. Our games in newer versions struggle to get out of classical, with crashes being all but fatal to the save during AI wars in Renaissance or later.

This post isn't me asking for advice on what we as players can do (there are many other threads detailing actions we can do to promote stability with CivV's flawed multiplayer system), but is instead me trying to gauge community interest in remote multiplayer Vox Populi; its stability, as well as its unique strategies compared to singleplayer / human vs. AI.

Do most users here enjoy playing Vox Populi singleplayer more, or with friends? Friends as allies, or friends as adversaries? Do strategies / playstyles differ in viability playing in a multiplayer environment vs. playing against AI, or is the optimal playstyle in Vox Populi the same regardless, just like vanilla Civ V? Is Vox Populi doomed to forever be unapproachable as a multiplayer experience, outside of asynchronized hotseat / play by email? Would a dedicated Vox Populi multiplayer instance improve stability to a noticeable degree, or would the effort yield negligible results? Are Civ V's flaws in its implementation of multiplayer too deep-rooted in the game for players to work around or for modders to improve, short of making a whole new game/executable?

Maybe I could stand to acquire a better understanding of the game and its intricacies, but for me, multiplayer Vox Populi is a much fuller strategy experience compared to singleplayer. I feel like Vox Populi is a dynamic multiplayer game due to the viability of numerous playstyles and their interactions; for every specific action taken against a player by player, there is a tangential reaction that player can employ, often utilizing a different game system. This is to say that I believe the variety of ways in which one can play Vox Populi truly shines in a meaningful way in multiplayer. I think that singleplayer Vox Populi is a more rigid meta when trying to play optimally, and that static environment is almost an antithesis to what makes Vox Populi cool.

As a longtime lurker, it was the establishment of the VP Congress that got me to actually use this account. Having a vote in making this game more polished, with more "balance" and meaningful mechanics, was too enticing; I had to end my lurking ways. However, the feature that I think would make Vox Populi THE strategy experience on PC is functional, user friendly multiplayer. If it's impossible because of Firaxis, or it's because of the amount of work required; either way I understand that it's a lot for unpaid developers to address. The fact that we have Vox Populi as is, with regular updates that improve the experience, is just awesome. It's a prime example of fandom gone right, but can we get much higher? Is there any interest in a better Vox Populi multiplayer?
I played a few years ago and it indeed was a great experience. It's much better to have "thinking" opponents. You can also do some reasonable politics, and many more things...

But since then I had issues finding people to play with, and now I hear it's tough to make MP work with Vox Populi

Hey Recursive,
Do you know how these were addressed in the past? I recall there were even "official" MP modpacks (maybe even made by Gazebo?) at some point, curious how they used to fix those desync problems
@Gazebo

I play VP with 3 friends on a weekly basis with an old version (because of problems that started to arise with versions from around 2018).

It's really too bad that there's no access to Firaxis' multiplayer code, because even with older, more stable versions, the main problem hampering our Civ experience is the game's instability. Even though our version is fine until very late in the game, we can't close games like we would want to (too many crashes in late game wars) and cannot always play on the settings we want (for example bigger maps, or playing Terra, generates way more desyncs).

So yes, I'm sure you/we are not alone in this and I'm guessing there are other people would love an upgraded multiplayer experience, but it seems like the possibilities are limited.

I play VP with 3 friends on a weekly basis with an old version (because of problems that started to arise with versions from around 2018).

It's really too bad that there's no access to Firaxis' multiplayer code, because even with older, more stable versions, the main problem hampering our Civ experience is the game's instability. Even though our version is fine until very late in the game, we can't close games like we would want to (too many crashes in late game wars) and cannot always play on the settings we want (for example bigger maps, or playing Terra, generates way more desyncs).

So yes, I'm sure you/we are not alone in this and I'm guessing there are other people would love an upgraded multiplayer experience, but it seems like the possibilities are limited.

What version do you play on for multiplayer, if you don't mind me asking? Looking around there's a lot of talk about how to make any given version as stable as possible, but there doesn't seem to be a consensus on a version that is the "most stable." It would be neat if there was a version that is understood to be the most "multiplayer ready" version of Vox Populi.

We play with a version from 2018, but I'm not sure which one. It should be the version just before the White Tower replaced the Steam Mill for England (as I've always regretted the fact that we couldn't have it in our version, around then is when the versions started to become less multiplayer stable).

Since then I made quite a number of adjustments to the modspack myself, so it's now not entirely "true" VP anymore (although I did try to implement a number of simple things that VP did later. I'm not a coder so anything that goes beyond tweaking/adding/removing numbers is beyond me).

We used to regularly play modded Civ V multiplayer online (same city) with 2-4 people, Huge Maps, on Epic. We started when it was just Whowards mod, on which the Vox Populi .dll is built. This would have been around 2014 (see https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/dll-de-hardcodify-beliefs-yields-per-follower.528843/). Other than a desync from the mapscript (workaround of load, save, reload) and a desync due to scrolling in 2016 (https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues/1026), the game was absolutely rock solid, with a desync frequency of less than 100 turns.

In 2018 it still seems to be working looking at my issue (https://github.com/LoneGazebo/Community-Patch-DLL/issues/4341)

Things fundamentally changed during overhauls of unit movement. It is difficulty to pinpoint which exactly, but there were experimental patches/discussions around changing embarkation. https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/who-needs-stacking-for-embarked-units.640272/ is the closest I can find from 2019. I remember Venice was still a single city civ when it was stable.

@Nightmare Dusk and I play VP together often, he's popped up in these forums occasionally.
Just before the barbarian rework we would experience a desync every 40-50 turns until late game (post turn 180ish) when it accelerated to every 15-20 turns. Not a bad situation.
Following the barbarian rework we could not play with or without barbarians. We would desync and even game crash every 4-8 turns.
So yeah, we would like to play multiplayer, even if it's only 2-4 players before it breaks that would be amazing.

I can understand the decision, as you'd never be able to create a properly stable MP version, and the stability varies for players so it's hard to pinpoint what causes instability.

That said, before late 2018, some versions were quite playable in MP, but since then they haven't been at all. So it seems like something in the coding broke it altogether?

I can understand the decision, as you'd never be able to create a properly stable MP version, and the stability varies for players so it's hard to pinpoint what causes instability.
From a player standpoint we may be able to identify which specific changes killed stability. I know 2.7.3 works with the MP mod pack, which is pretty recent.

If we disable the features that were touched on in the following update (via game settings or ini/xml file flags) one at a time and find one that stabilizes multiplayer, we may be able to find a workaround. If not, we know it's related to one of the features we can't touch.

The option to turn off part of an update, or revert a feature to base game, would be easier to make than running through all the network traffic logs to find and troubleshoot an exact cause, and wouldn't even lead to a fork in the VIP project.

Gotta go build a mod pack for 3.0, lots to test there, will report findings in a few weeks eventually.

I'm new here, would that be a new thread kinda infodump, or tossed in here, or...?

2.7.3 does NOT work. The people who said it does in the thread that you linked are playing hotseat. I'm one of them. We tried simultaneous turns with disastrous results.

It seems like the most stable MP version comes from 2018. Can anyone link me the correct/good modpack?

We want to start a game with about 5 people, so just stability is more important than playing the latest version I think...

The last version of VP (3.6) should be better than 2018 version. Since 3 versions there are a lot of efforts made to kill the desyncs.

The last version of VP (3.6) should be better than 2018 version. Since 3 versions there are a lot of efforts made to kill the desyncs.
Okay thanks! Does anyone mind making a modpack of the latest version?

I tried following the instructions here: https://civ-5-cbp.fandom.com/wiki/Creating_a_Modpack but I get stuck where I have no options from the drop down menu in FireTuner, so cant select MPMP_Maker.

If anyone has any MP experience with the latest version, now or in the near future, I'd love to hear some experiences, mainly on whether it's stable!

Top Bottom