SGOTM 09 - Fifth Element

GB, in my last test Med was less a disaster than in the previous one.
So, we can go for it if the other members prefer so.

I've found a way to work out the growth/warrior:
Work fish and 2 GLF, Launch will grow 4 in 3t. and the warrior will pop in the same turn.
Then worker > settler > GW
City 2 will build its warrior
The worker now on the hill: Windmill, road, then road straight to West
Next worker will go on the hill SE, for windmill, no road

I don't think you'll finish the settler, so i stop here.

Remember to turn off max food

Remember, watch the city before hit enter every turn this way you can see the improvements built, and start work them.

T15 - Work Fish, 2 WGL
IBT - learn Masonry, start Meditation, it is two turns less. We'll get to Writing and Libraries faster. In addition, in all my tests Poly wasn't worth much to the AIs.
T16 - Worker starts WM Scout goes 1 SE
IBT - Nothing
T17 - Scout 1SE, nothing else near Site 2, MM Launch Pad to Fish, WGL, WGH
IBT - Nothing
T18 - Scout 2 SW, Grow to Pop 4 and build Warrior, MM to Fish, 2 WGL, WGH
IBT - Nothing
T19 - Scout heads SW still, MM to Fish, WGL, WGH, Windmill
IBT - Nothing
T20 - Scout finds Coast to SW, Worker starts Road, MM to 2WGL, WM, WGH
IBT - Nothing
T21 - Nothing, Worker finishes Road, Scout moves along Hammurabi's southern border. There's not much space south of his capitol.
IBT nothing
T22 - Finish Worker and move to SE Hill to Windmill, Worker1 continues to road.
Start Settler (6T) MM to Fish, WM, WGL, WGH
IBT - Hammi moves an Archer toward our border. hopefully he'll stay friendly.
T23 - Scout moves West. Hammi has Cows and Sheep in his BFC and has built a FP. His Worker has pasturized the Cows and is working on the Sheep.

Turn Log
Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 3100 BC to 2620 BC:

Turn 15, 3100 BC: You have discovered The Wheel!

Turn 21, 2740 BC: You have discovered Meditation!

Attachments

• Hammis southern borders0000.JPG
    Hammis southern borders0000.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Pericles BC-2620.CivBeyondSwordSave
    65 KB · Views: 66
Is that attachment from the submission page? It looks like from your local save.

Just in time to post a comment before, and now just finished my Easter's lunch duties.

BTW: Happy Easter to you all !!!

I've opened the save and everything seems OK (correct tiles worked and so on)

I'd like to discuss this: in some attempt i set research to 0 for 1 turn once the settler is out.
This way we can go 100% with the library in.
Or we can set it to 0 the turn before library completes, or simply let it to 90% when we'll be forced to do so.

Edit: no, the choices are: stay @90% or set 0% for 1 turn while building the library.

It seems we all agree on tundra for city 2, so not much to discuss.
Now i'll post a detailed plan lookin in my autolog.
edit: done, please take a look on #3!!!

Aim of this small guide is try to use at best a modern unit versus middle-age units.

- Paratroopers can launch from a city or a fort (in own territory).
- They can launch only as first move.
- They can go anywhere, in any direction for 5 tiles. Then they have 2/3 (after engineering) or 1/2 of move, like they move on a road. If in enemy territory, they can anyway move 1 tile after launch, but they cannot attack.
- Usually the enemy has some 5-6 airships and use them to soften the attackers.
For this reason it's even more important NOT promote the paratroopers and give C1 right before they actually attack.
- They are so strong compared to middle age units, that they can successfully fight even seriously damaged. Maybe not versus a full strenght LB fortified on a city on a hill, but they have high chances in all the other cases.
- 2 airships are enough to explore and allow paratroopers' launch and to soften the stronger defender.
- always try to siege a city with 1 more paratrooper than the defenders are: the AI often manage to squeeze maybe a catapult, delaying the conquest by 1 turn, and this can hurt.

Looking good. We got one more TS in over the Easter weekend.

Sounds good, gb. As usual, I was quite busy over the long weekend, so I've got a bit of reading to do. :coffee:

I've been playtesting forward and have been experimenting with the research path.

PH, Writing, CoL,
Math (hopefully via a GS),
Electricity from the Oracle (gives 1 extra Gold for WM) in my tests I was able to research CS so quickly it wasn't worth wasting the free tech on it.
CS, Paper,
Education (hopefully with a GS),
Gunpowder (required if we want Rifling from Liberalism) Originally I went to Philo if no one had it for trade and then Liberalism and took Rifling for free. However after completing Gunpowder, Rifling was only 10 to 12 turns to complete.
After Rifling I would go to Philo, Liberalism. Get Rocketry (from Liberalism)

I haven't explored too much from there yet.

I'll experiment with the production que tonight. Barb cities should start springing up in the next few turns. Hopefully they'll be near where we want them. We should have Maces in time to take them out.

GB, elctricity will take 3-4 turns at the right time.
With all the empire up and running (some 22 cities) and with a GAge, i could research Genetics in 1 turn while building 2 SS engines.
Don't be duped by the quick speed.
10-12 turns for rifling are almost an era.
The academy will be in before Math, and Math can be researched in 4 turns.

Don't talk about LB math, or my head will explode. (i'm almost sure i've already heard this)

We need to keep the ball running, this SG will have a lot of TSs.

Simon, you're UP!
Berserks will be swapped.

Ahh LB = Bulbing. Thanks.

some of the abbreviations in this thread do confuse me :crazyeye:
Have you seen my previous one?

Tell us which abbreviations confuse you, we must be sure you'll not be confused when you play.

Most of the abbreviations are commons CIV acronym, some are just ... abbreviations.

I use often GL for grassland and GLF for grassland forest.

Yes, I was going to make sure I understood it all before my turnset,

It was te GL/GLF ones that always cause me to pause and think "Hugh? " while reading :)

Simon, can you play?
If so, please post a PPP ASAP.

Yes, I can play. I thought someone else was up last time I checked post #3. I was waiting for the next turn report Sorry guys !!

I'll re-read the TS objectives and post before playing.

What's a PPP?

Research plan: Check
Production plan: Check, makes sense.
Worker 1 plan: so, he's aiming the road to white dot, 1S of the sheep. Check.
Order of movement onto marble for quary/road, check.
Is the Plains-Hil windmill & Road is 1S of white dot ?
Worker 2 Plan: Finish windmill and create Forest Preserves either side of the river 2S and 2S1W of LaunchPad: Check.
Settler to white dot (Do we have a name there ? )

scout: keep him safe, move around Hammu borders. ASAP negotiate OB and bring him as west you can, after exploring all his territory.

Any hints on that ? I've a nasty habit of turning scouts into animal food.... Presumably, try to finish a turn on a hill/forest, and dodge bears.
Should I avoid finishing turns on grass/plains squares even if that costs a MP ?

MMing city#1: After the settler should I Grow fast to size5, or try to max hammers ?

MMing city#2 ? Should that build the oracle straight away ? And should it work the marble and just grow slowly ?

Ready to play as soon as someone tells me the actions are approved.

Research plan: Check
Production plan: Check, makes sense.
Worker 1 plan: so, he's aiming the road to white dot, 1S of the sheep. Check.
Order of movement onto marble for quary/road, check.
Is the Plains-Hil windmill & Road is 1S of white dot ? yes, IIRC. but you can't miss it, is the only plains hill.
Worker 2 Plan: Finish windmill and create Forest Preserves either side of the river 2S and 2S1W of LaunchPad: Check.
Settler to white dot (Do we have a name there ? )
As I said, i like greek names. But i'll take anything you want, provided is short.

Any hints on that ? I've a nasty habit of turning scouts into animal food.... Presumably, try to finish a turn on a hill/forest, and dodge bears.
Should I avoid finishing turns on grass/plains squares even if that costs a MP ?
yes, you got it

1) MMing city#1: After the settler should I Grow fast to size5, or try to max hammers ?

2) MMing city#2 ? Should that build the oracle straight away ? And should it work the marble and just grow slowly ?

Ready to play as soon as someone tells me the actions are approved.
1) Max hammers (but continue work the fish), start the GW, then switch to Library right after writing is in.
2) work any tiles with 2 :food:+1 :hammers: first build: warrior, then airship, switch to Oracle once the quarry is roaded. Work the quarry right after is complete.

more) remember that the workers finish the improvements the turn before they're ready. So, right before hit enter, enter the city(cities) screen and look what you got.
Just to show you the importance of doing this, you'll save 1 turn on writing working the 2nd windmill when ready.

With all this you can be done in some 10 minutes.
To comfort you, after this initial phase we must MM well, but not at this level of attention.

GO! good luck.

Top Bottom