SGOTM 19 - Also Sprach Sid

Congratulations! It was a pleasure to lurk.

:goodjob:

Thankees to you too for keeping the thread reasonably underspammed while providing pics for the lurkers.

I tried following TSR but overanalyzing and fights over negligible gains reminded off one of our SGOTMs, and I got bored (and lost).

Less posts, better grand strategy, better results. More posts, more testing, too much micro driven strat.

Top-down is better than bottom-up.

3 months deadline prevents the game from watering down.

Again, great game everyone. Plans for the future?

Your interest is back?;)

The future plan is that we could change the team name again, so that there's a new team appears with a laurel award.:lol:

No interest to play any turns. :D
Just being perv lurker.
When I had some gaming cravings, I went to HoMM3 and tried winning on impossible on impossible maps. Much shorter games and less brain activity. Civ is impossible to get rid of even if you don't enjoy the game.

If I played again, I'd go to some low post-count team and tried to oppose you and TSR.:mischief:

BTW, didn't like this name anyway since I don't have any respect for Sid's recent work. Last 20 years at least. But acronym is great.:p

When I had some gaming cravings, I went to HoMM3 and tried winning on impossible on impossible maps. Much shorter games and less brain activity. Civ is impossible to get rid of even if you don't enjoy the game.

Same, i keep coming back to Homm3 ;)
Shame that H4-6 were not that good anymore, or did i miss something?

Gratso Ducks (sorry, you will keep that name for many :b), what an awesome game you played. I guess Shaka would be unlikely to join PR, despite our low post count :)

Same, i keep coming back to Homm3 ;)
Shame that H4-6 were not that good anymore, or did i miss something?

I didn't give those a shot since first looks didn't impress me. Maybe there is something good about them. HoMM3 was one of the first games I've played some 15 years ago and I suddenly felt nostalgic and also like there was some unfinished business since I never played harder diffs. so I played some ten or so games to fill the HallOfFame with Archangels.:)

Gratso Ducks (sorry, you will keep that name for many :b), what an awesome game you played. I guess Shaka would be unlikely to join PR, despite our low post count :)

I'd probably be less active than I was in my last PD game (only pre-game and very early) if I joined PR...:)

I've just realized kossin has pulled this off while being ill... A hero.
It is also fair to say that Doshin's significant and constant contribution is recognized. Everyone always speak of kossin and Duckweed or their staff privilege allows them to change other people's posts...
No point praising Duckweed(TM).:)
Othes didn't have so much time. Forgot pomthom. Shame, shame on me.

I was so happy when my telepathic suggestion to use HAs worked. You may think that you thought of it yourselves.

You did not.

Over and out. This much blabling usually comes from sleep deprivation.

1500!

ban me, I don't care

^Played much more than what I did in SGOTM17.:)

TSR did not go for Music line, that's the reason why they got CS faster.

TSR lost on not going for Cuis, otherwise, it would be a close fight. Our opening this time was really suboptimal (not switching to Math), plus unawareness of Alu corporation.

I'm glad the bump city idea worked. It wouldn't be SGOTM without some teleporting. :lol:

The two big failings in our early game, for me, were the late Math, which would have sped up the Mids and Oxford considerably, and exploration, where we lost a Warrior and we (I) got too caught up in choking Asoka with the initial Woodsman II Axe.

Grabbing the Stone site so late was an unheralded moment. Without it, we would not have had access to Police State or Representation.

MT could have been researched a little earlier (with less gold spent on upgrades) if we had planned a little more carefully. Again, this all goes back to missing Math, and delaying capital builds (here = Universities and Oxford) and research in turn.

The less said about Aluminium Co. the better. :shifty:

Good game all. :goodjob:

@kossin

IIRC, we didn't prioritize Civil Service at all, and in fact delayed the switch into Bureaucracy for several turns.

I haven't looked at any other saves, but earlier research usually comes at a cost. Our late game tech streak (Optics ----> Medicine) would not have been possible without a large empire full of developed cities and Villages.

@shakabrade

I suggested the Horse Archer rush thinking of you, and expressed my reservations at one and the same time (my usual manner). ;) Duckweed was responsible for running with and implementing the attack, so the credit is his. I can make suggestions and micro well, but he understands the game better than me. :D

I was thinking earlier Cuis. tbh, with more focus on fail gold. (of course the AIs weren't very cooperative on that end). I haven't gotten time to look at other saves (I did skip a day of work to finish this!) but I think :gp: was suboptimal also.

All credits to other players on the team, beside closing the game (which really isn't that hard, just a lot of meticulous planning) I did basically nothing.

Yes, well done everyone, and all credit to pomthom, El Capitan, on leading us to victory in his first attempt. :hatsoff:

kossin, you are modest as usual. ;) It was an easier end-game that required less micro and planning than SGOTM 18, I agree with that, but that is true for every game in the history of the world ever.

Congrats Also Quacked Sid!!!

Yeah, yall should have lots of regrets with this game. In fact, yall played so poorly you should just give up Civ and play casual games or something. :rolleyes::D

@lymond

Congrats to you guys as well. You seem to have played and (esp.) warred very efficiently, although that is to be expected given your team's understanding of Cuirassiers. ;)

When can we expect the Cliff Notes edition of your thread? There seem to be a lot of posts. :cool:

We have done a decent team work in this game. Everyone contributed to the final result.

I still regretted that no one reminded us of the fallout issue in SGOTM12. This time there were many false assumptions being corrected in time, like the fort chain, and the city gifting and raze.

Again, the laurel represents a great team work!

Thanks, Doshin. We were overall pleased with our game. At one point early on we thought we had a good chance at gold, but you guys always continue to surprise. Although surprise is probably not the best word, since it is expected. Ofc, we learned a lot reading this thread. I think the kicker was yall pressing on Toku far earlier than we did with HAs...that was impressive.

I assume Gumbolt will sum up the game at some point. We went overboard on # of post, but it is more our style. I think we will reduce that in the next game quite a bit.

Top Bottom