SGOTM 21 - Phoenix Rising

Side thought on Ai tech path. Of the 3 we know Elizabeth still lacks BW. We know Willem has AH and probably sailing too. He will no doubt try for IW/PH or mono sooner or later.

I ran a test game with 3-4 Willem and other Ai and the one tech none had by 1200bc was maths. A lot left PH quite late. 2-3 had alphabet by this date. Mansa hardly suprising. I think if a lot are coastal this may slow wonders. (used 9 AI with 5-6 coastal starts)

I think the Ai close to us are going to be slow tech wise. Not sure what date Willem/Shaka got BW. It will be interesting to see if any Ai go for maths at all before 1000bc.

My other thought is what we would do after alphabet if we went that way? Currency or would we decide we need maths anyway?

Same for maths. We could go directly currency if we were able to trade for TW and pottery. Currency will be strong here.

Maths or alphabet I think if we choose one the chances are we would need to skip the other unless trying for a tech trade.

At some point we also need to decide when to buy info on quests for Elizabeth. Do we use workers or gold?

I assume 23k power at start is Mansa? No one really commented on this.

I think it has to be one or the other. The path would look something like this:

Math > Do AI have Alpha? > Yes > Currency, try to trade for Alpha and backfill
> No > TW > Pottery > Currency

Alpha > back fill with trades > Currency > wait for Math trade

It's difficult to make a decision when missing so many relevant pieces of information. If we knew or could accurately predict what the AI might tech and when then this would be pretty simple. If the AI are going to be very slow to Alpha i think that needs to be the choice. If they get it at a reasonable time and we can pick it up in a trade then Math is clearly the way to go.

The best i can do is to offer a rough guess based on my experience with Immortal AI and the information that is available in our game.

-1000 BC is typically a reasonable average date to trade for Alpha in an Imm Pangaea game with 6 potential trading partners. On standard continents with 2-3 potential partners this can take longer and self-teching Alpha is quite a bit stronger and more common.

-This isn't a standard continents game. There are 9 AI in this game and we could very well have a 4th somewhere on our continent. Perhaps unlikely at this point, but still possible.

-How are these AI compared to normal AI in terms of the start they were given by the map maker? Do they have abnormal advantages that will speed them up? We were given a worker. What was given to the AI? We were given one relevant piece of information here:
The overall difficulty level is immortal, but some AIs have slightly altered starts and so do you: We added a worker to your starting units to allow a quick start.

What does that mean? I don't know. It doesn't really seem like Willem's start was altered aside from possibly a great deal of food. Perhaps the ladies got strong starts? I don't know. I don't think that's enough to conclude that these AI will be faster than normal though.

-There are two typically competent techers here that will also tech Alpha. Shaka probably is of no value for this. Overall i would rate our chances slightly lower than on a typical Pangaea map so you can probably push that 1000 BC date back a little bit to like 750 BC. I think that's turn 85? Of course somebody might go for it early.. you just never know. Anyway we are 54 turns in so maybe another 30 turns before we can reasonably expect to trade for Alpha.

-How does that compare to Math being available for trade? I think in this situation we can probably expect Math to be available at a similar date. Willem + another AI need to have it first so while it is a cheaper tech that the AI tend to prioritize more than Alpha, there are more restrictions on it.

-So is it worse to wait 30T on Alpha or 30T on Math? What will we be doing in those 30T? How will the lack of one or the other impact us during that time?

Potential timetable with Math first

-Current base BPT is 40 x 1.2 for pre-req bonus on math = 48 beakers. Math costs 405 which works out to about 8.5 turns. Our BPT should increase over the next 10T though so i would expect to be able to tech Math in 8T of 100% research... maybe less. I wouldn't expect to get it down to 7T, but the last turn might be doable at less than full research. It currently costs 88g to finance 8T of research, but we will settle one more city in 5-6T which will increase our expenses a good bit. We will need over 100g i think. We have 18g right now and can make 28 per turn so we probably need 3T to collect gold and Math will finish 11T from now.

-After Math in 11T we will have to decide on TW and Pottery or waiting for Alpha. Our only clue will be watching Willem's research unless somebody actually has Alpha at that point. Our BPT should be a lot higher in 11T with our island city settled + deer city + maybe gems + library in Palace too. I think as much as 70 BPT is reasonable which is an increase of 75% from where we are now. We could get TW in 2T with big OF and then 1T Pottery. We would probably need 1T to save money. We can expect TW 14T from now and Pottery 15T from now if we self-tech.

-Next up would be Currency which i think we could tech in as little as 7T by then. We would probably need a few turns to collect gold first so Currency in maybe 10T after Pottery would be reasonable. That would be Currency roughly 25T from now. This should make Currency available to us right around the time we can reasonably expect to trade for Alpha. We shouldn't mind giving an AI like Willem Currency since that's more foreign trade routes for us.

Potential timetable with Alpha first

-More expensive than Math so about 10T of research vs 8T. It could potentially also require 4T of banking gold rather than 3T. Alpha in 13-14T is reasonable.

-We could likely trade for TW on the turn we get Alpha and Pottery the next so TW in 13-14T and Pottery in 14-15T. Also probable that we could get IW here.

-Currency should require about the same time to research as above, but here we would get started on it maybe 1T earlier so Currency in maybe 24T turns vs 25T above.

Opinions based on that?

We can expect to get Pottery around the same time in both scenarios, and i think it's basically coming right about when we need it. The lower beaker cost of Math nearly gives us Math + TW for the same cost of Alpha. We have to research Pottery but it's really cheap here with 2 prerequisite techs. Math first also gives us the flexibility to tech TW and/or Pottery sooner if we wish.. at the cost of delaying Math a few turns.

IMO many advantages of Alpha faded away as i did this timeline. It basically gives us earlier IW and like 1T of research saved. Maybe seeing what techs the AI have is useful, but probably not. I think getting an extra 100+ chop hammers over the next ~30 turns is more important.

Now if we get unlucky and go beyond 500 BC and the AI still don't have Alpha for trade then going for Math will probably be a bad decision, but i think we should be willing to risk that.

I assume 23k power at start is Mansa? No one really commented on this.

Difficult to assume anything like that in an SGOTM. You would need to do some research to determine that this isn't a regular AI given 1 more archer or something by the map maker.

What a great read Izu, my thoughts exactly :)
I think we got carried away by "pottery via Alpha", when we could just replace it with maths and teching pottery ourselves.
Maths is just so much better than Alpha if you not urgently need other small techs from trades.

Also good tests Gumbo, i was not sure what these guys prefer maths or Alpha.
But 2 would need maths and only 1 Alpha.

Think i start prefering a work boat first then maybe add a galley from Deer, if we meet no other AI until then.
Maybe we need 2 directions anyways. Unless we somehow work out a galley fast with math chop.

Hmmm I don't think it is Mansa or Hammy as power rating would show as 26k. It could be additional archers or additional 1-2 techs? Hmmm. Not sure why BS would give additional archers? Unless he was worried about barbs somewhere?

Nice maths Izuul. I think this definately makes maths a better option. Flexibility too. We also know when the AI do get alphabet they will 100% trade it too. Plus all the hammers gained from chops. Could work out at 100+ hammers over 30 turns.

Of course no Ai we know yet has writing. Willem might tech quicker now with just 2 cities and foreign trade routes too. We can certainly afford 3-4 turns 100% gold anyway.

Plus what if we went alphabet and the AI did the same? We would have lost out too. So risks both sides. My testing on one game showed the Ai loved alphabet over maths.

I don't think IW or myst will really forward our game here. The interesting part will be when an Ai gets Oracle.

I definately think we have more Ai to meet. I think Elizabth could be on another land mass. It's possible. We have yet to meet any land unit from her.

Willem went salvery 2200bc. So definately has BW/TW/AH/fishing/sailing. He could be teching IW now or another basic tech. He will be running out of basic techs now.

I would too like to see 2 exploring workboats. We missed out last game as we never went west. We have done well fogbusting here but the sea is where we will find the ladies.

Normal Immortal AI power on T0 is 17k isn't it? 3x archer = 9k + 2k Hunting and 6k Archery = 17k. Mansa should be 26k because his skirmishes are 4k each and he also gets Mining (2k) and The Wheel (4k).

Willem and Shaka are both 17k
Lizzy would be 19k with standard units + Mining

I'm not sure anyone starts with 23k normally. Could be extra archers or even an extra free tech?

2 turns in, and i got the message on using maths as a placeholder over alpha. Unfortunately, I was not able to see what WvO is researching. Currently 3 :espionage: points away.

An archer is by bear claw right now. 2.5 :strength:. Probably best to fortify for now.

Saw shaka's borders:
Spoiler :
[/URL][/IMG]

Spoiler :
Here is your Session Turn Log from 1840 BC to 1760 BC:

Turn 54, 1840 BC: Will Sign Open Borders: Elizabeth, Shaka, Willem van Oranje
Turn 54, 1840 BC: Shaka is the worst enemy of Elizabeth.
Turn 54, 1840 BC: Will Sign Open Borders: Shaka

Turn 55, 1800 BC: Clearing a Forest has created 10 ℤ for Love Palace.
Turn 55, 1800 BC: Elizabeth has founded Nottingham in a distant land.

When did we play 2T and find Shaka?

Oh just now apparently! :lol: I must've opened the save right after you uploaded and was surprised.

Before we play on any further i need to check my math on the library build and settler whip in the capitol to make sure i did that correctly earlier.

Galley needs to return to the palace shortly so that it's already there with full mp on the turn the settler completes.

I think we need 1 more turn of gold to get enough to finish Math anyway, so maybe we can wait one more turn to start Math and perhaps next turn we will be able to see Willem's research. He has his points on us which is a bit annoying.

We could start on a settler in Surf next turn if we really wanted to. S3 is good for a settler there. Alternative would be going for LH first. It might be a little more efficient to build settlers now while we don't have granaries in these cities.

First obvious task for Elizabeth would be destroy shaka. Just a guess.

I also wonder if the land above Wvo is a new land mass rather than the same continent.

That archer has 1-2 first strikes. Should head straight for Shaka.

We have unfogged tiles now Shaka Archer has moved. Warrior should move back north 1 tile? Horse area also has risk of barbs.

Never Eat Shredded Wheat.
N
WE
S

Galley 2W now.
Lions 1NE.

Shaka could easily be blocking an AI. Notice the borders we can see already has a border pop. This will be his second city. He also has a third. He is unlikely to OB with Elizabeth who he probably already knew. I actually think Elizabeth is west of the Dutch assuming a small continent. There could then be 3 land masses each with a lady.

Also note how the leading Ai is matching us commerce wise. 47 vs 46. Someone is teching very quickly somewhere.

Was 1 west not 1 east for our galley, we are paying 1g for it being outside borders ;)

With that mountain range, we should get no barb troubles at all if nothing spawns in there, so i would say new warri goes west next turn and Bear goes back NE - SE for now. Too much unsecure terrain near Shaka.

Very low chance we get that fight imo, he should enter Shaka's borders now already?
And i think we really want to avoid an healthy archer heading for our cows.

Hmm i was looking at the mountain hole 3S1E of Bear, i think turning around and using that way would be best for him.
Trade routes over sea only there so we need south.
I doubt we find a new AI behind Shaka, with 3 cities there should be no culture block and if an AI was there it should have found us by now?
If Bear leaves we have no defense from horse area currently.

Lion should stay this turn, Willy's boat will cover that tile and we will need him to confirm settler security soon.

Maybe but we really have no choice. We need those areas secure, we only have warriors.
That's not a small area around horsies, really it's not.

We can maybe 1 pop whip for that settler, gems will take almost 10 turns or so from now so Surf should be almost size 3 again then.
Should be better than spending that forest before maths (if we pick maths).
Or if it's faster, complete with maths chop.

Worker on Cows needs to chop for deer city :)
Gems are nice, but less important than scouting and movement plans for our guys.
We urgently need a quick workboat moving out.
Better 2 (second then would get maths chop), there will almost guaranteed be 2 directions for them.

I'd wait 1t and see if that archer comes towards us. We want that fight if possible.

Packers seems to have east-west challenges :) Maybe we should use left and right instead?

Ah ok, makes sense to put him back inside those peaks i think. We can bring another warrior over there later, i agree.

@Gumbi - I think i would prefer settler now to grab horses and we can get the LH later. 8T + a few travel turns to get to horse site is already far enough out that I don't think we should delay it further.

I see a slight complication though. We need the 3-yield gems the entire time we are building the settler to get it finished in 8T. Even if we wait until the last turn to chop we will still come up 1 hammer short. Warrior isn't going to give us any OF either.. not even 1 hammer.

Yep, i think some type of whip here will be better. I need to look into that further, but right now i have to go out for a bit.

Size 3 settler in Surf would take 8 turns with a chop. Downside to whipping at S4 might be we lose gems. Of course it may take 4-5 turns for the gems to come online.

Lighthouse would need to be whipped for 2 pop. We could put 20 hammer from chop into it and use 2 turns of 5 hammers and do a 1 pop whip? Still need to regrow city and net gain is 1 food. So 11 hammers vs 10 at size 3 for settler. Not too convinced.

Ideally we want this city to become a hammer city long term. It could use a granary sooner than later. I would prefer the settler sooner as small risk that Shaka could grab the horse site.

Was the plan to use both the workers for the gems? By Fippy saying 10T i guess not. Or do we want a worker to chop/farm for new deer city? Or build farms for BFF? How important is the extra commerce from the Gems?

One option for Surf is to grow 5T on a workboat. 20 from chop. We would hopefully also get 20 from 2 turns settler. So whip on 8th turn at size 4. Workboat hammers might be useful but I would guess Shaka's closed borders would be a pain. Have to time settler to coincide with chop. Not sure maths chop timing. Would be close.

I assume the rest is just following the plan from previous page.

Bit quiet here. Off to watch TV/ do chores for a bit to get away from this screen. Would be good to get some kind of post from packers with his thoughts.

Off to bed here. Been a long day. Most decisions seem to be made for next few turns.

Playing Divinity here, good rpg (using single player).
How's Path of Exile moving along? I thought about trying that too, but classic rpg was more what i wanted now ;)

Looks like not whipping works best. We gain some hammers but not really if we also lose food?
Wonder if we should do 10% EP and 90% gold like Lymo suggested yesterday, i thought we can do without but seems we need to invest some gold if we want to know before starting maths.

Surf N Turf Settler

-First thing to note is that Lymo is heading straight to new Deer city. Gumbo will be our worker for all of this.

Slow build + Chop Method
-Gumbo will finish his current chop next turn (T57). He will move on gems T58 and if we chop+mine he will finish that on T65.

-We should have Math in 9T which is also T65. 1 more turn to get a little bit more gold then 8T of research. I'm confident our beakers will grow enough to finish it with 8T of 100% tech.

-This should work out to where our gems chop finishes the turn we get Math and yield 30H. The settler will be at 80/100 and will be out on T66 with 20 OF.

-Settler would be available 10T from now.

1 pop whip method
-10 HPT for 7T (T57-63) and then 1pop whip on T64. Settler will available 9T from now on T65 and we will get 9 OF, but still have the chop coming. The city will be whipped down to S2 and will require 4T to grow back onto gems. I think this will cost us 4T of gems which is 24 commerce and 8 hammers.

2 pop whip method
-4T to grow from S3-S4 while building LH. Will need to work the lake tile for these 4T.
-Start settler on T61 and build for 4T @10HPT.
-Whip settler on T65. 9 OF just like above, but 1T later. We will have 12H in the LH. Would also require 4T to regrow back onto gems.

2-pop whip seems pretty clearly inferior so i think we can rule that one out. 1-pop whip will finish settler 1T faster than slow building. OF + chop hammers + 1T of base hammers into something else = 42H. Slow-build is 1T slower and OF + 4T extra of gems = 28 hammers + 24 commerce, and we retain our food.

So 1T faster settler and 14 more hammers vs 24 commerce and (i think) 18F.

Yes, we also lose a good bit of food whipping, meant to add that in here. Fixed.

I think in this case the food and commerce are more valuable unless we feel very rushed to get this settler 1T earlier.

Playing Divinity here, good rpg (using single player).
How's Path of Exile moving along? I thought about trying that too, but classic rpg was more what i wanted now ;)

I really want Divinity badly but I'm waiting for it to go on Steam sale which means I'll probably have to wait until at least this summer. I love Path of Exile. Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time so D3 was a pretty massive let down in comparison. PoE is nearly as good as D2 was in it's day. It's actually better in many regards, but one would expect this since it's 15 years newer. The item/crafting/currency system is fantastic and very innovative.

Alright back from work.

I was thinking about the loss of hammers from the forested gems. What if we just mine the hill over the forest? No turns are lost and we would have no loss of hammers from transition from forested hill to mined gems. I see that Izuul has that in his plan.

I was thinking about running 10% :espionage: as well. I do think that's a good idea. It's not ideal, but it would guarantee us visibility of WvO even if he does keep his points on us.

I was originally thinking about a settler from surf. With shaka decently close, it would be nice to grab the horses before he gets there. Eliminating shaka very well could be a condition, since he and Liz are worst enemies. Curious why WvO is pleased with shaka at 0 diplo. Do they like eachother due to the hidden diplo?

And Lymo should definitely head for the deer city. Although, it will be several turns to get it under our control from WvO. Course Lymo could chop as well so it works out.

Bear claw I think should fortify on the hill. He should have good odds against the archer, and would then be a woody II guy. Once he's woody II and if there are a decent number of forests around shaka, we could worker steal from him to further handicap him. Don't forget that we get another warrior from surf next turn to help limit the barbs in the area. He could spawn bust the area inside the mountain range. That mtn range is a bit odd. Almost seems to be marking a spot for horse city for us and shielding it from shaka. Or a barb funnel to us.

I was thinking that he would fortify this turn, and if the archer heads for shaka and not BC, then BC goes the other way around the mountains.

Sending him back is fine. Better to secure the horse site now than in a few turns with the new warrior.

Well i still think Bear wil not get that fight, either the archer moves towards Shaka..or he does not attack..or moves somewhere else. Really low chances, so i would rather see him moving towards his future path.

Well we are leaving an area close to our city with fog if we wait, and i hope other archers are not moving towards us in return. Getting a new warri out does not really comfort me.

Gumbo we need only 1 turn for now, after seeing what Willy techs we might need to discuss more.
So let's add 10% EP and a little plan (or can do without if you are sure on stuff) for this 1 turn please.

I think we want fish site with next settler. Agree we should get warrior back to fogbust till new warrior is in place. We need to check coast near horse city.

Looks like we have plans for all 3 cities now. I would still be reporting back each 1-2 turns. We need to have a T60 save for Lurkers.

Night all. Good job on the micro Izuul.

Love Palace

T56 - Library (same tiles) - growth to S4
T57 - Settler (take wheat back from BFF, give farm)
T58 - Settler (same tiles)
T59 - Settler whip (work deer + clams, give wheat back)
T60 - Library completes at 90/90

BFF
T56 - WB
T57 - Settler (Gumbo chop)
T58 - Library (grows to size 4)
T59 - Settler
T60 - Settler

Surf n' Turf

T56 - Warrior(Back to cows, cows get done) (growth to size 3)
T57 - Settler (subject to change based on what plan we go with from Izuul)
T58 - Settler
T59 - Settler
T60 - Settler

10% :espionage:
Pack to camp fur. Bear 1NE.

Top Bottom