SGOTM 21 - Xteam

Well done guys. I must admit I doubted you would finish on time. You certainly made a huge effort in last week or so. Yep by T190 you had pretty much done it all but just needed the vote. Ap always works best when no other Ai is in the religion.

All teams finished in time. :eek:

Looks like silver should be yours as gold was tied.

Surely a whole silver is better then half a gold. =)

I have not read through the entire lurker thread but the last 5 pages did not mention that, what I could find.

Can we have access to the other teams save files now?

Haha, just kidding! We won!

Turn 192, 1320 AD Religious Victory for Greece

Just a curiosity: a vote result without an opponent? I'm not a diplo expert, but i think i've never seen that.

Please enlighten me.

You can only be available for AP votes if you own the AP or have the AP religion as state religion. So we made sure noone was hindu in our game.

Thank you for getting this done. I apologize for missing this game so much. RL was very busy. But at least I got to go to my daughter's college graduation, that is where I was when you guys finished this. :thumbsup:

Just a curiosity: a vote result without an opponent? I'm not a diplo expert, but i think i've never seen that.

Please enlighten me.
Didn't Fifth Element also win by an Apostolic Palace Victory without an opponent?

NobleZ - the AP screen was broken from the point that I forced Shaka into FR onward.
BOOYA!!!

It's often called an Apostolic Palace Cheese Victory, since a "cheesy" victory is one that was a bit trivially easy with very little chance of failure, such as a Diplomation Victory in Civ 4 Vanilla where you could vote yourself to victory by having most of the world's population (just not enough Land Area for a Domination Victory) and not being required to have another player also vote for you.

The typical AP Cheese approach is to have all AIs run the same State Religion as you, but which is not the AP Religion. That way, everyone loves each other, so there are few or no Traded with our Worst Enemy Diplo penalties, few or no Diplo penalties for refusing to Stop Trading with an AI's Worst Enemy, and the situation becomes quite risky for a regular United Nations Diplo Victory, as many of the AIs might just as easily vote for your opponent as you. The difference here is that the player who owns the City with the AP in it gets to be a candidate for the AP Victory, and, in fact, is the only candidate if no player (or at least no other player) is running the AP Religion as their State Religion, meaning that with everyone loving each other and there being only one candidate for victory (your team), your team has a pretty solid chance at easily winning.

Getting your team and perhaps some of the AIs into Free Religion is an alternative approach that both of our teams seemed to use in this SGOTM.

It was a good game. I think we played very well from the position (turn 100) we were in but why did we fall so far behind? Is anyone willing to look into what we could have done better the first 50-100 turns?

I do not think it was that simple also not detailed enough to really improve our game. I think we got too few cities early from which we could not build army fast enough.

Did the teams ahead of us get W's cities or Shaka's early? (Founding additional marginal cities early certainly did not seem likely to be a winning strategy.)

By t100, PD had settled 11 cities. They were about to start capturing cities, taking cities from both the Dutch and Zulu in the next 20 turns while at the same time continuing to settle cities. They concluded that with TGL, the one tile fishing villages were worth it. At t100, TSR had settled 7 cities and conquered 6 Dutch cities. They were about to start on the English.

Top Bottom