[BTS] SGOTM 26 - Sign up Thread

Our team would only have 2 players even tho Kaitzilla counts as 2 all by himself. If only we could contact @LowtherCastle, he does double duty too. Then we'd have 5!
LC has probably played more of these (all of them?) than anyone. It'd be a shame if he missed it. Happy to take on new people as well. I cannot dedicate the time I used to (and I've only played 1 game in over a year.)

New people would get great!
The succession game is a lot of fun, because you get to scheme with a team. :D

I too will have to dial my participation back a bit.
Would be great if LtC could come back one more time.

New people would get great!
The succession game is a lot of fun, because you get to scheme with a team. :D

I too will have to dial my participation back a bit.
Would be great if LtC could come back one more time.

How much time does it take? I never played in a SGOTM and just completed tow GOTMs, and are not particularly good player, could be more of an enthusiastic lurker :)

I could join but regular power outages won't allow it. SGOTM is played with BUFFY and reloading is strictly forbidden, right? I'd rather not ruin someone else's game. When there is more certainty about future I will simply an UPS, but in the present climate its not prudent to spend any amount on anything non-essential.

When this SGOTM is expected to begin, anyway?

I would encourage everybody (new or returning) to look at this as competition for fun, a chance of planning Civ4 with others, etc.
Imo those times where there were intense discussions are over, and we should look at just keeping it going somehow (and see what result we get).

And yup it's played like HoF.

I could join but regular power outages won't allow it. SGOTM is played with BUFFY and reloading is strictly forbidden, right? I'd rather not ruin someone else's game. When there is more certainty about future I will simply an UPS, but in the present climate its not prudent to spend any amount on anything non-essential.

When this SGOTM is expected to begin, anyway?
I am there too. When cpu gets too hot, system shuts down without saving. Got HoF refusals because of this, so no point spending time on something involving staff.
However, if I happen to by better system this looks interesting if the map is random. Bizarre setups not my cup of tea.

When cpu gets too hot, system shuts down without saving.

I had same problem with graphics card - it would quickly heat up to ~100 celcius when armies grew big. But when I changed thermal paste the teperature became quite stable about 50 degrees. Apparently, after 8 years the heat medium degraded to the point when it acted as an isolator, so that heat could hardly leave GPU at all, not in the direction of radiator at any rate.

Tentative Schedule:
1st 3 weeks of March - form teams
4th week of March - distribute save and start the competition

Three months to play. Finish by 30 June.

The pre-game discussion (from 2 years ago) talked about 4 or 5 month play time due to the large amt of tech. I prefer that.
Our team is ready any time. We'd be happy to get a player added (we have 4 active.)

Last edited:
Plus, you can just save each turn and upload, as Fippy does. Then there’s no doubt...
Of course autosave each turn, but that didn’t help me, nor did honestly, when it crashes current turn in the middle of an all out war. Clearly rules are different for different people.

Anyway, it would be a honour to be an a team with you guys and would recommend it to anyone wondering. Personally I hesitate due to mentioned crash/staff issues and time constraint.

Surely will follow this major event closely. CFC equivalent to the Open.

Game should never crash really unless you are on a really old 32-bit machine. But also depends a great deal on how long you play a session and where you are in the game. SGOTM the game will stay very early in the game for a long time (at least month or so) and short turn sets are played at most with saves uploaded each turn - at least that is what Phoenix Rising does.

Major Tom - autosaves have nothing to do with helping your problem. It's a preventative measure to validate a crash situation with HOF or GOTM staff.

Everyone should note that it is a good idea to - assuming you play full screen - to use CTL+SHIFT+ ESC to exit and bring up the task manager. Do this every 30 minutes or so, or even sooner if later in the game. This will refresh the RAM and the game will run smoother.

But crashing should, again, be an extremely rare occurrence unless you have a very old machine or some problem with it. (oh.and maybe using certain MODs)

I haven't crashed a game in years really and when I did it was not really related to the game itself. I play on about a 5 year old - average at best - gaming laptop.

I was just thinking about Civ the other day. I logged in to see what was up and low and behold, there is talk of SGOTM starting up again. Awesome. I could fill 1/4 of a role so LC plus me is almost a full player (assuming he'd play with me again ;)).

I was just thinking about Civ the other day. I logged in to see what was up and low and behold, there is talk of SGOTM starting up again. Awesome. I could fill 1/4 of a role so LC plus me is almost a full player (assuming he'd play with me again ;)).
Strange. I tried to contact you and your user name was not found. I thought you deleted your account.
Just like I tried @Pollina. Doesn't exist. :dunno:

So where do we stand right now? Home Slices have 4 players. Are the other two teams shaping up? Should we modify the sign up list on post #1 to only include players that have recent confirmed their intent to play?

Top Bottom