SGOTM3 Rome - Team Sesn

Here are some cohesive thoughts in the spirit of playing with optimism:

There is already a settler en route to the open space down south. I would plant him between the two game tiles.

We have enough units in Syracuse to march on Paris. This may prove costly in two ways though: We may lose all or most of the stack in the process, and we may lose Syracuse.

There is a smaller stack in the south on the intended settling spot that have thus far been effective in razing those little outpost towns.

It seems that an army behind walls can take almost all comers. May want to consider using the armies defensively, especially if the ai will attack us in the open anyhow.

We can slow the rate of units into our territory if we can destroy a few key roads in France. One was bombed out before I lost the cats, but there are a couple more that would help.

The only useful infra I can see at this point is markets and temples. Markets for the money, and temples for their happiness/culture expansion. Libraries would be nice, but it's hard to justify the shield investment.

After we get Invention, we should go for gunpowder at the max sustainable rate.

Speaking of gunpowder, I saw the first mousketeer at the end of my turns, so maybe cavs/cannons are a little ways off anyhow....

EDIT: on each of my last two turns, two vet swords were dropped off by Caesaraugusta. There is currently still one wounded one there.

I like your last post sens. I concur with most of the ideas. The main problem that we have is that we were/are not aggressive enough. When it comes to my turns I usually fire out with everything I have. I think we must play aggressive. Now that France has D'artagnan fighting for them, I would hold off on a Paris assualt until we pick up another army. I think Nem and I should highly concentrate on clearing out our backside and then trying to push up to set up the wall of cities like M60 suggested. I think in 20 turns, we can flatten the greeks and other interlopers. Do not be afraid to risk a few units, we can always build more. I usually only use the cats for Defense, by trying to bombard 1 hp off of everything so that they leave and heal until they finally stack up nicely for us.

I didn't get a chance to play last night, I got home too late, will play tonight and see what can be done.
The Dylan Thomas quote, sesn, has inspired me.
If (and that's only If) we are going down, I am taking some ai biatches with us. I'll try to settle across to our ne coast so we can setup an ai killing field. I may not get time and romeo may have to continue as we may need to push the french border back a bit as there will still be mt's on our front if we just settle directly ne.

Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris! :aargh:

TheNemesis666 said:
Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris! :aargh:

:lol: Nice!

Care to translate the one in the title of that post though?

Is that a quote, and if so, who?

was two separate quotes;
sursum corda is from catholic church somewhere I think.
Ira furor brevis est is from Quintus Horatius Flaccus' (Horace) Epistles

edit: ira furor brevis est I first came across in an Asterix comic :)

Ah, I thought the first one must be medieval... But I never really read much Horace, so I missed the second.

Interesting!

As for Asterix, i think I find them funnier now than I did when I was a child - awesome stuff, especially when Caesar appears :lol:

lurker's comment: I wasn't even aware there WAS a comic named Asterix. Must be a foreign thing

Did you guys know TF installed that new tag? :D

What tag??

And shame on you for not knowing Asterix! You know, they've even been translated into Latin... Not sure how many of the Latin puns work in those versions... :hmm:

Ok, nem, who's your favourite character-with-a-silly-name in the comics?

Mine is the British chieftain, Mykingdomforanos!

hmm, I don't know that I can remember them that well, I haven't read one in ages. I struggling to remember the big guys name. :)

Hey! i read the comics here, it's obviously just not cool enough to be printed in Bawstohn. :cool:

as for the tag, didn't you see the green font, issued by the [ delurk] [ /delurk] tags?

Oh that's cool :) Excellent tag, indeed!

@Nem, it's Obelix ;)

preturn
v.horse out of cumae heads s to finish aztec v.sword (wins 4/4)
v.legion at brundisium vs bab v.longbow1/4, wins 4/4
e.legion at aesonesium vs v.longbow1/3, wins 5/5
e.legion at gonzo vs bab r.pike1/3, wins 5/5
v.legion at syracuse vs american v.knight1/4, wins 4/4
switch veii to settler

IBT
didn't have pen and paper ready, we lost a legion up north, retreated 2 knights and killed a bab sword
3 greek archers appear on border at lunacantorium

760AD (1)
cumae riots :-( forgot to adjust pop after stealing their horse for a bit, he'll be back this turn
lunacantorium cat->legion
Palmyra founded -> court
v.legion out of syracuse vs russian v.knight2/4, promotes 2/5
v.legion at neocal vs english v.longbow3/4, wins 3/4

IBT
we lost 1 v.legion, others lost about 3 knights around syracuse attacking the other v.legion on the hill there, he promoted.

770AD (2)
lugdunum cat->legion
cumae legion->legion
neocal legion->legion
neapolis legion-legion
rome legion->legion
e.legion2/5 vs v.longbow1/4 west of brun on desert wins
slayer army vs v.pike3/4 on hill heading in on pillage mission, wins losing 1hp
2 v.legion at luna vs 2 r.archers on forrest, both win 1/4 and then 3/4
move v.legion from veii to gonzo, will replace next turn and happy is fine in veii. (english knights coming to gonzo)
v.legion out of syracuse vs german v.knight2/4, wins 3/4 (bit risky but this was the safest knight i could kill, the others I don't want to risk as they have healthy knights behind them)
(hmm, 45 minutes play time so far, doesn't look like much in the log)

IBT
lost 2 legions only killed 1 knight (american)

780AD (3)
byzantium cat->legion
brundisium cat->legion
antium legion->worker
pompeii legion->legion
v.legion on his was to Aeson vs r.spear in pilaging position, wins 1/4
v.legion at syracuse vs v.knight1/4, promotes 4/5
v.legion vs american v.pike settler pair at ravenna, wins 2/4 (disband slaves)
e.legion vs r.pike2/3 on road to Neocal, wins 1/5
army at neocal vs v.knight4/4, wins losing 2hp
v.legion out of neocal to protect e.legion1/5

IBT
lost v.legion on his way to syracuse on hill. (retreated first v.knight, second got him but now 2/4)
russians want to talk, I ignore
v.legion at neocal dies but saves e.legion1/5 (v.knight who attacked him promotes and flees 3/5)
french are now building shakespeare's

790AD (4)
rome legion->legion
veii settler->settler
v.legion out of bruns retreats american knight, will continue to syracuse
v.legion out of bruns kills american knight, promotes 4/5
army at neocal retreats v.knight, losing 3hp (down to 12)

IBT
lots of enemy movements

800AD (5)
Antium worker->legion
cumae legion->legion
ravenna legion->legion
caesaraugusta walls->cat? (change if you like romeo)
spear at athens pillages incense

IBT
damn english knights kill a legion on its way to neocal (1 retreat, 1 win3/4)
aztecs drop a sword at pisae
neap starves due to enemy infestations

810AD(6)
e.legion kills greek archer at luna
grr, lose v.legion trying to kill knight1/4, the knight promotes 2/5 (on our road to neocal)
retreat e.knight to an unimproved square (something at least)
damn, that was pisae's food square
shuffle some pops to stop starvation at pisae

IBT
german knights that I expected to attack aeson move in on antium
aztec sword at pisae moves and starves pisae (heheh, I just can't win :)
japan are building shakespeares
french 2 musket and 2 longbow move to hill at neapolis

820AD (7)
gonzo legion->legion
pisae cat->legion
aeson cat->legion
send a legion from brunds to antium
upgrade spear at brunds
upgrade pike at neapolis
send legion from veii to neapolis
send cat from aeson to neap
seige of svestapol (russian scrap town to se) razes city
kill aztec sword of +1 starvation with v.legion travelling to neocal
army kills r.knight
e.legion kills e.knight and generates GL Ocatvian
bombard r.longbow for another hp but leave him alone (he has 2 knights and a longbow behind him)
army at syracuse retreats v.knight

IBT
room mate asking what I want for dinner so I miss the siege of neapolis (1 pike at 1/4, legion and other pike full health no longbow left outside)
indians are building smiths
I missed japan landing a spear and warrior between neocal and pisae too

830AD (8)
Rome legion->legion
cumae legion->legion
army comes out of neocal to retreat v.knight seiging gonzo
v.legion kills r.longbow1/3 @ gonzo and promotes 4/5
v.legion @ ravenna kills 2/3 pike settler pair (workers disbanded)
crap, sorry, just noticed my scientist had starved a few turns back at neapolis (I think he was there)

IBT
english caravels coming down the west coast
we kill a knight at syracuse
ai settler pairs all over the place in the east

840AD (9)
veii settler->legion
pompeii legion->legion
ravenna legion->legion
lugdunum legion->legion
luna legion->legion
switch rome to market
v.legion that killed settler pair at ravenna last round kills another at rome (workers disbanded)
kill japanese spear and warrior with legions travelling to the front
army at syracuse to desert to kill v.knight1/4
2 legions at ravenna kill french pike, spear, settler (workers disbanded)

IBT
german knights come from everywhere at syracuse
english cavalry attacks syracuse and retreats

850AD (10)
antium legion->legion
neapolis legion->legion
neocal legion->legion
army attacks and kills english cav
shuffle units to give all cities under threat 1 more unit than attackers

I learned by my second turn that sitting in our cities and defending is a much better option against knights. The only time i left from then on was to kill 'safe' units. (units on tiles with no counterattacks in range)
I didn't really get much done, I was trying to get units up to syracuse but the english were making a fairly good assault on our western cities so I decided to reinforce them slightly. (losing a couple of units travelling to neocal)
we do have a settler that made it as far as brundisium and sesn's slayers is currently holding the weak point in our road to syracuse (which I had to rebuild)
The workers from that effort are in antium(I was expecting pillage from the seige but the ai was too blood thirsty)
I haven't build an army with the GL yet, decided it was only 2 turns till the end of my set so would leave him for discussion before using.
I lost us a few turns on invention when my scientist starved and I didn't notice due to the stress of two inner cities being under seige. :(

(I think i'm going to start up a chieftan game now with the enemys from this game, just for a bit of payback)

:lol:

edit: >>> SAVE <<<

edit2:
Firaxis score: 651
Jason score: 318

Yes, please please keep the city scientist employed. I think sometimes the best cities for that are coastal 2 pop cities that don't grow for lack of a harbor. That way the scientist never disappears. Another GL is nice, army would be the way to go again. We need to check our city count vs. armies in the field. May need some new cities soon so we don't have a future leader unable to build. I see that the Greek settler pair is back again trying to settle the same ruins. Alex can still do no better than hoplites.

Il get to this on Saturday. I'll probably choose a new army and let the Greeks have it.

Due to traffic congestion related to the Sturgis Rally, RL is taking longer. Prolly get to this on Sunday now. Sturgis is a huge deal around here. There are close to 3 times the normal number of people in our fair city.

Ill need a swap guys. Details on reasoning shortly. Thanks a bunch.

M60 can you take it?

Romeo, will you be able to grab it in the next day or two, or should we just skip you this round?

Top Bottom