Shafer’s contributions and the future of Civ

poiuyt

Chieftain
I don’t know if it is attributable to Shafer but Civ 5 did solve several long standing problems. For the first time having and using navy is necessary. Hexes are a welcome enhancement. Combat is improved, although I still have trouble understanding how a warrior inflicts a -1 hit on a B17, or for that matter, the reasons a catapult can damage tanks…

Most problems with Civ are directly traceable to having stayed from the original design, which essentially sought to model the goings-on on this planet. Such deviation always leads to illogic and flawed execution. For instance, in Civ, the Oracle used to improve the effect of temples, as it did in classical times. Now, it provides a free social policy!? Buying land is yet another travesty… Land is acquired by stationing troops on it. If anyone objects, well, then it’s war..

What should be understood is that Civ is not just any game. These days well executed, realistic war games, sorcery games, etc. abound. Any combat game can easily substitute for another; and yet is there a replacement for Civ? It’s Civ or nothing.. Having played the game in all its variations since Civ 1, I hope I won’t have to choose nothing.

Buying land is yet another travesty… Land is acquired by stationing troops on it. If anyone objects, well, then it’s war..

Jefferson would like a word with you.

Jefferson would like a word with you.

Ah yes.. But I would have liked to see the US of then hold on to that land without a military presence, especially given the fact that there happened to be folks living on that land already..

But regarding Seward's folly.. I can only quote Goethe: Amerika, du hast es besser.

Lesser folk don't get to buy land.

hey is anyone around here? Any more about Civ5?

Most problems with Civ are directly traceable to having stayed from the original design, which essentially sought to model the goings-on on this planet. Such deviation always leads to illogic and flawed execution. For instance, in Civ, the Oracle used to improve the effect of temples, as it did in classical times. Now, it provides a free social policy!? Buying land is yet another travesty… Land is acquired by stationing troops on it. If anyone objects, well, then it’s war..

???

What planet are you on that's like CivI? Or any of the others for that matter?

I don’t know if it is attributable to Shafer but Civ 5 did solve several long standing problems. For the first time having and using navy is necessary. Hexes are a welcome enhancement. Combat is improved, although I still have trouble understanding how a warrior inflicts a -1 hit on a B17, or for that matter, the reasons a catapult can damage tanks…

What should be understood is that Civ is not just any game. These days well executed, realistic war games, sorcery games, etc. abound. Any combat game can easily substitute for another; and yet is there a replacement for Civ? It’s Civ or nothing.. Having played the game in all its variations since Civ 1, I hope I won’t have to choose nothing.

I imagine having a large boulder impact your tank would leave it slightly less than functional.

One more thing you forgot about. Now you can actually demand things when winning a war. In cIV there was almost nothing you could demand when winning a war. (I turned tech trading off.) :D

???

What planet are you on that's like CivI? Or any of the others for that matter?

Civ 1 was a start; it had promise and delivered, albeit partially, in Civ 2. And we stuck with it, living in hope that it would deliver.. one day.

Ah yes.. But I would have liked to see the US of then hold on to that land without a military presence, especially given the fact that there happened to be folks living on that land already..

But regarding Seward's folly.. I can only quote Goethe: Amerika, du hast es besser.

Lesser folk don't get to buy land.

louisiana purchase - oops, looks like the military helped us keep it, and just like in ciV, napoleon failed to value cities/territory properly ;)

One more thing you forgot about. Now you can actually demand things when winning a war. In cIV there was almost nothing you could demand when winning a war. (I turned tech trading off.) :D

Huh? Tech, money, resources... it was pretty much the same in civ 4, but the AI was less ******ed about it. They'd also capitulate.

I think 'buying tiles' is a pretty dumb idea too. It is mechanically okay, but it seems oddly tacked on there. Like, instead of finding a way to do allow people to direct their cultural growth, they decided to make us purchase tiles instead. An artificial way to make money more valuable.

Well, the combat oddities have always been around. In my mind, I always assume that the warrior would not be running around modern times with spears, but that the warriors would have an assemblage of modern weapons--just not the training or support to use them effectively. Hence, a "warrior" with a hunting rifle can occasionally get in a lucky shot. In general, I don't think the combat system is really improved. Yes, hexes are better, but the 1upt has made an illogical jumble of unit capabilities--which I trust don't bear restating here.

I would be in favor of adding the option to "occupy" land the way you describe, but buying land is hardly a travesty. The new culture system has undone the absurd border situations from Civ IV, along with the city flipping, which was a poor abstraction for a concept the game really should model--loyalty.

I've also got to disagree with you about the navy, though. I still find I never have to build one to speak of.

Moderator Action: And now back to the topic...

Is this topic about Shafer's contributions or the contributions of Civ 5 in general? I dont know what parts Shafer thought of and what he didnt, so Im just going to assume its Civ 5.

I like the mod browser as an idea. Sure, its not all that great and I would like more information and better UI in the browser, but its a good step forward into introducing more people to mods. I also like the importance of the navy in Civ. Social policies are also nice, but it would have been better if civics remained side by side as well. Strategic resources are also quite nice, even though IMO they should be reduced by half. Buffing gold in general is also welcome,but it would have been better if they could have introduced it in another way, like adding a certain amount of hammers to a city for a duration rather than outright instant building. Culture is also important on the nation wide level as well as the local level, and that is pretty nice, although being able to influence where the tiles go would be better (like a difference in preference per Civ and influenced by policies). The combat is obviously an improvement, a big part because you cant lose your all important elite unit (especially in mods like FFH) in one battle due to bad luck. Hexes are nice and they really make the landscape much nicer, which adds immersion and I think immersion is very important in a game. Natural wonders also achieve the same effect, and adding more dynamic to cities.

poiuyt, I was just being silly and meant no offense. I knew what you meant and wasn't trying to pass off the edited quote as your intended meaning.

It gets pretty heated on CFC so sometimes I try to bring a little levity. My apologies for using your thread for that purpose.

poiuyt, I was just being silly and meant no offense. I knew what you meant and wasn't trying to pass off the edited quote as your intended meaning.

It gets pretty heated on CFC so sometimes I try to bring a little levity. My apologies for using your thread for that purpose.

I'm glad the OP had the guts to call you on it. If it hadn't gotten picked up I would have thought the OP had written "realistic sorcery games." That's not funny, but it does marginalize his thread and opinion. I am glad it all got straightened out.

I struggle to find entertainment with V. It's been called a lot -immersion, historical accuracy, depth, detail, that loving feeling - and maybe it is all of those. There needs to be some entertaining content.

Entertaining things off the top of my head:
A map that tells a story with it's diverse and varied landscape. Civ V has a lot of sheep and cattle. I think I read that swine is the most consumed meat on Earth (in total pounds). There's also poultry and goats. The tiles are so stripped down, they could have at least changed the resource icons for some visual diversity. It's just a simple wargame though, so who cares about what gets eaten on planet Earth? In wargames we pay to make tough decisions, not see pretty pictures of what Earth's like.

Trading for a map. Mapmaking and maphoarding was common on mankind's Earth. It's not necessary for V though. Too gamey I guess. Trading maps is too much of a hokey mechanic for this game. +3 Frowns for me.

A privateer or ten to whittle away my time with. I am a simple man with simple pleasures. Stealing a little gold with diplomatic immunity in the mid game is a nice diversion. Loading up XP with immunity can't be beat. Spending a little time to build a canal was cool too. Pleasant, little details. Civ V has roadbuilding and eradication quests. That's not appealing for me. Building a canal on a new map was always a new event for me. Sometimes I have to wait 1300 years for my culture pop in that icy tundra in order to achieve a northwest passage. It's worth it though and I am entertained. It's also strategic, in that I have a quicker route to both coasts. How hokey. In V, if you've eradicated one CS you've eradicated them all. Don't do all the eradication quests in one game though because then the other CS will have +10 frowns at you. Without a map and no scouting, I am not sure how they know but it's just a simple wargame so your decisions have recourses. Building roads and eradication quests just don't give me much new gameplay.

A villain, or villains, with a backstory is nice. That is lacking for me in V. I need it to be a little more than it is in V. Nowadays it's "Oh, leader2 spawned next to me so I must destroy him." While destroying leader2, I saw leader3 and leader3 began expanding in my general direction and he had a frowny face on so he had to be destroyed too.

An ending with a synopsis of what the heck just happened. How awesome was I? When did the awesome really start to kick in? These are some of the things that makes an enjoyable game for me.

Ramping up the difficulty on a turn based war game was never really something I had interest in. I don't have a build order to optimize smiles. I don't want a build order to optimize smiles.

After taking out a lot of detail - resources, enhancements, gameplay - I am left with moving my troops. Troop movement isn't that complicated for me. I usually move melee first and bombard following behind. If I have horse, I move them on the sides trying to keep them in open and scouting but not caring too much. Rather than complex and thoughtful, I find troop movement to be tedious. I know what I want to do - melee first, bombard second, horse on the sides - but it's annoying that I have to move 6-8 units, one unit at a time, one tile at a time. I then have to repeat this procedure until my units are in position. It may take anywhere from 2-6 turns to get my units in position. I know what I am doing, but it just takes tedium and turns to do it. I move my melee units first, bombard second, horses on the sides until they get in position and then I get to use them. It's fun when I am using them, but getting the units there is just a drag for me. Like I said, I don't think it's that complicated or hard to do. I know what I am doing very quickly. I see where the forests are, where the hills are. I use that cover for my units. But it's not varied, complex, or diverse. It's just kind of annoying. Melee first, bombard second, horse on the sides. If I am moving a long distance through unclaimed land, I usually will send a horse or a scout in to scout. That's not hard or complicated for me either. Maybe I am missing some of the wargame nuance but melee first, bombard second, horse on the side is working for me so far. If I have a general, he is with the bombard. If my bombard won't have sight in the ideal position, I have to spend turns getting these units to where he would have sight. Not hard or complicated, but it does take time and effort clicking on 6-8 units and moving them one tile at a time. If I meet enemy while moving my troops, I hold and scout. Fools rush in. That's not hard for me either.

Wow, what a drag that paragraph was. That is pretty much how I feel about the wargame aspect of V. Now if the game had some additional things to do. The repetition of troop movement would not be such an overwhelming burden to the game. I could be at war and have something else to do. You know what I have found to do? Building roads. What a good time. Building roads is what I do to have some entertainment. Building a hell of a lot of roads in my territory so that way my units will be able to move in their own lands without a major headache. Roadbuilding is my entertainment. There's not even varied tile enhancements to choose from as entertainment. Roadbuilding for fun.

Causing religious discord was entertaining. It gave me something to do. Now I have to spend gold to cause discord. That's less entertaining. I am paying someone to go to war. That's not a powderkeg waiting to explode. That's me paying Leader4 to go to war with Leader3. Deciding whether or not paying Leader4 to go to war with Leader3 is the right choice is not entertaining for me and is definitely not why I am emotionally invested in the series.

I don't know. To each his own. Some like realistic sorcery. Some like moving 6-8 units (melee first, bombard second, horse on the side), one unit at a time, one tile at a time.

Happy holidays. I need to unplug for a while. I am going to try to stay logged out til next Tuesday. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but there's a lot of stuff that gets me negative with the current iteration. So without a game to occupy my time I come to the forums. Then I read the forums and spiral downwards. I still play a lot of V. Haven't installed IV on my new hard drive and may not. Part of it is that my "era" with Civ is definitely IV and maybe it's that I already know what the series is about.

I really anticipated a broadening and enhancing of the previous version. Why would there be fewer resources? Why would there be fewer worker tile enhancements (workers can be automated after all) ? That never occurred to me as something that would be possible. Why would there be less to do? It's a new game, I anticipated more. New means more to me I guess. I appreciate that 1UPT and hex is different. Hex is pretty good, but the scale is off. 1UPT is interesting but just leads to unit micro and it's not really that challenging for me (melee first, bombard second, horse on sides). The challenge for 1UPT is perseverance and restraint (1 tile at a time, don't let the AI move for you).

So again, happy holidays. I hope you all have a good weekend.

Happy holidays.

A pretty good description of what (not) to do with units.

Well, for some people here this is a tactical challenge, as they admit. For you, me and a lot of others it is just not but a nuisance.

Don't think about it. It's Christmas now.

Top Bottom