Share Your First BNW Experiences Here

Finished my first game, set everything to random but size Large and prince level, needless to say it was easy, got Poland on i suppose either archipelago or small continents, i literally drowned in gold, but God it took long to win, i reached the year 2000 and got a space victory, while having influence on 8 out of 9 other civs. I liked the game, the enw mechanics and all, but also found out that it was too peaceful on a isolated game, never ever had a war...

Now im in my second game with Maria, the map seems continents and i have been already backstabbed by Dido, but her half hearted attack was easily repelled and now we are friends again. Im overall enjoying the new game, i wish it had just a bit more speed on my not so new anymore rig and the here and there graphical glitch (i blame something on my machine, not the game, but meh).

I am currently in the finishing stages of my game:

Greece, all random (ended up with continents, large, epic).

I started on the same landmass as Assyria, Monty and Morocco, though in essence Persia, Portugal Brazil and Russia, were on the same continent connected through two tight snake-like corridors.

I was on the eastern part so my first move to go as west as I could, and settle a city in the face of Morocco to claim a great desert part with flood planes and stop their expansion towards me. This though angered them they did nothing for it.
In the meantime Monty been Monty declared war on Jerusalem to the south and gobbled it up and build some cities. Assyria did absolutely nothing. So 100 turns later, and after founding a religion with desert folk-lore I wanted to try a shot at Petra. By now I had not a single unit, both my scout and warrior were killed by barbs in my various attempts to coerce city states (Greece remember?).

So up goes Morocco and builds Petra...Sophia gifts me some warriors, I build some catapults and Wipe out Morocco and claim Petra. From there on I stopped any further wars and I decided that I should focus on a peaceful science, culture and religious game. I met Shaka on the east after crossing the ocean and the rest of the surviving civs (apparently Shaka had conquered Indonesia).

Long sorry short here is what happened after we all met and we got the world council going:

City states: Shaka had patronage(!?!?!?!?!?!?!) since he had build the forbidden palace but had occupied all the CS on his continents except one. I had converted them all to my religion (more on this on the appropriate section) and I did not even spend neither gold or SPs on patronage to have them allied, all of them. I think maintaining alliances now is far more easy if you at least convert them. I had no spies trying to flip them the entire game and only Catherine tried to buy a couple at a given time, which OFC I couped.

DoWs, DoFs: I have yet to be declared. And I had both Assyria and Monty as neighbors. And I planted cities in their face, and Assyria wanted my lands. And then Assyria DoFs me despite wanting my lands and wonders... After turn 200 or so Monty DoWs Assyria and starts a series of wars that ended in the modern era with Assyria whipped out. I had DoFs with the rest of the world barring Shaka, Monty and Darius. Only Darius thought I was a warmonger though.

World Council: I have mixed feelings for that one. Darius was the first to discover us all and he was the first host. Then when the eras passed and CS votes mattered I became the eternal host and passed whatever resolution I liked, supported and rebuffed as I saw fit. We embargoed Persia (he hated everybody and vice-versa), I ignored them all for wanting to pass arts founding and passed sciences funding and the one that gives more culture from wonders. After passing a couple of resolutions that befit Russia, Cathy who would ignore my friendship requests DoFed me though. I also passed Freedom as world Ideology when the rest were had none and later half the world was Order and nobody proposed order or repealed. Also Cathy didnt propose to make Hinduism (her religion) the world religion as it was the second dominant (or perhaps at the first) at the time.

My opinion on this is that it will work properly on MP. I hand my hat to those who said it will be a good feature and I admit defeat when I called out on it. HOWEVER it is not what it was advertised. It doesn't work as such you see. First of all it reeks of Multiplayer mechanics only. The AI cannot take proper advantage of it and CiVs like Greece and Siam, will dominate the council hands down (Assuming a good play that is). Add to this that the AI doesn't seem to use spies on CS anymore and that Greece doesn't even need patronage anymore to maintain alliances with proper religious spread and quests. A good feature, but it not 'quite there', it needs a rework mostly for single player purposes.
As Greece and without putting considerable investments on the CS themselves, I was able to dominate the council by the second session (it timed with the delegates from the CS counting).
Bottom line is: Diplomatic victory is easier to do now, though you need to wait for the appropriate era.

Ideologies: And we come to the second most advertised feature which once again I feel 'its not quite there'. First off all the trees finally are offering a wide variety of options (though the must haves are blatantly obvious) and there is no no brainer on which ideology to follow, it depends on what you need to do and how to do it. So far so good. HOWEVER the ideology block building is not working. You still get the You adopted x ideology + or -, but it is still what it was a simple + or -. If you had prior proper diplomatic relations with a civ don't expect this to be a big impact. I had DoFs with Brazil all the game and I had adopted freedom to them Order (quite a mistake too since they had only three cities...anyway) I got a - and nothing changed. On the other hand they didn't get along with the Zulus or Monty either who had also adopted order. The only difference is the ideological pressure. Even now on the threshold of victory, I am given cities from Monty and Shaka that flip under the weight of my tourism while they spend their armies on trying to quell barbarian uprisings due to their unhappiness issues. They didn't even proposed to make order the world ideology when it was 3-1 (Monty, Shaka, Pedro for order and only me for freedom). As time passed Portugal and Russia followed freedom as well (though Russia why? She is ICSing the map...) and Darius opted for Autocracy (but you HATE WARMONGERS!) making 3-3-1.

Religion: Same old really. Piety is a working tree now and the extra gold and faith sure does help. Reformation beliefs are powerful in their own right but don't expect them to win games for you. You need to choose something that complements your strategy, not to depend on it for victory. It certainly wont replace Tradition as my starting Policy tree but certain civs reap great benefits for it. Also if you are planning to play the religious game its a must have (doh!). It is entirely possible to beat Ethiopia to the race both for religion and Pantheon with this. Boudicca less so for a pantheon. It also complements the diplomatic and cultural victories quite nicely.
The AI has learned apparently how to manage religious spread. Russia was spreading theirs at an alarming rate (better than Ethiopia in G&Ks) and was a serious pain to my plans. It was the first time I have seen AI inquisitors too and a large AI empire having a single coherent religion as opposed to their cities been a melting pot for which ever missionary cared to spread! Religion can solve your economic and cultural problems and it is entirely viable with a religion that encompasses the whole world to scrap the new trade route system all together should you so desire but remember that you can help your spread through it ;).

AI: Nothing that will effect your gameplay that much really. They did get more docile against the human player (the DoW quite frequently among themselves). They have learned to spread their religion better but as far as formations, movement, tactics and idiocy they are still the same. In my game monty tried to siege a CS and lost half an army of infantry and cannons to a garrisoned Xbow and unit of pikemen. He kept embarking his melee troops in the nearby lake.

Cant remember anything more of importance right now. The new expac did a good job but not what I have been expecting from the beta test reviews I was reading or the advs from the company. Most of the mechanics are good but they reek of a rush job. Expect several patches before they work as they should. The game did change for the better so I will say that it is a success. Its harder to get your empire going and you need to work to get those gold rolling (except if you start with multiple gold producing lux) the AI is more or less the same with a flavor of docile play at the start (or more precisely avoids DoWing the human player only) but has several side factors of its play improved. Dont expect it to be the next big thing since bacon but as a nice desert and you will enjoy it a lot more. Another missed point is the fact that they promised that the late game gets more interesting. Well to me it was next turn fest. You have a lot more things to do but not in the late era. Bonus points of airports at last!

All in all I rate as B- with a possible B+ when certain features are reworked with patches.

EDIT: Gold: It was scared at first, yes I was. But when religions and Trade routes start going you will be raking in the gold and eventually you will make more than you ever did in G&Ks. Just pray you are not Isolated.

EDIT2: Forgot archeology, though I haven't unlocked aesthetics (and if you plan to have a meaningful number of SPs you should BTW) or exploration. I send my archeologists to grab hold of the sites that were near the other civs and in neutral territory or CS firsts. Theming bonus is a pain and I never got the Broadway or the chapel working the themes :(
I also filled my museums to the brim and I still have sites inside my borders to excavate. Two curious things: I excavated both inside Monties and Shakas territories and I got the by now familiar dialogue: We didn't meant to offend you when stealing your cultural heritage (found it Ironic as hell too, playing Greece) which didn't prompt any diplomatic penalties. I presume it is like keeping an expansion promise though I did never got a notification for keeping it. And the other thing is that when Monty came to excavate one of my sites (inside my borders) he left the dig incomplete for some reason and had the archeologist leave. I also didn't find any correlation between barbarian camps, famous battles and anything else. The only thing that it seems to count is whether there have ever been inside the borders of a civ or city state or when its neutral it becomes a barb one me thinks (but thats all speculation on my part).
With the appropriate resolutions, landmarks can produce a whooping 14 culture!

I`m still in my first game, but it went far enough that i can share some thoughts.

Prince (i usualy play King, toned it down to learn the ropes) ,Huge Continents, randomized, 18 civs (i like it when its crowded and i heard a lot about AI being too peacefull, so i tried to counter that with high competition), 30 CS's (same as with civs), Epic speed (i never play normal, as eras just fly too fast for me to enjoy them), Poland

Started out between two rivers on a large plains i north east corner of my gargantuan continent. I was pretty much blocked from the sea by mountains, snow in the north and Lhasa on the east, my southern border was a medium sized desert with some lakes on it and Indonesia right behind that. West i had amazing grassland with loads of cattle (ducal stables = i like cattle) but it was actualy a natural land for the Netherlands that were my closest neighbor. To the north i had a militaristic city state (dont remember right now wich one) and to south-west i had mountains and Polynesia beyond them.

Besides my immidiete neighbours, there was Spain to the south west of Polynesia, Mongolia to its east, Then a line of city states, Siam and the Ottomans, and even further south Portugal and Sweden, both of which were pretty much locked away in their own southern corner, not playing any part in the world until the XVth century (i didnt even discover them until like XIIth).

With my twin rivers and large plains (and the lovely grasslands of the Netherlands) i decided to go tradition first and focus on population, though later i also took liberty, despite knowing i wont use it to full extent, as i planned on around 7-8 cities. Amsterdam was my obvious first target, even though it was also a natural trading partner i wanted those grasslands and i wanted the Netherlands out of the way. Still, no option for a realy early agression, as i was barely able to support any army at all due to lack of gold. So i went straight for Writing, snatched Great Library, took Drama and Poetry for free and jumped era for a free socpol. Still had no trade routes, still had little to no gold, so went for Maths to get Hanging Gardens, while working on ducal stables to get some cash from pastures.

In the meantime William, who went heavy Piety as it turned out, founded a religion and gave it a reformation belief (+2 tourism from religious buildings, pagodas in this case), so i decided to completly skip religion and just steal it from the Netherlands. By the time i got the Gardens up i had three cities, composite bowmen, and CS trade routes to fuel up more units, pumped two catapults and spearman. I became best buds with Siam, mostly because Indonesia was a rising military power (1st in Army size for like forever) and the cultural-playing Siam felt threatened.

Finally, around -300, the first war started: Indonesians took Istanbul form the Ottomans BUT they left Suleiman with a city right in the middle of indonesian territory (???). That was a signal for me, that its time to start. I took Amsterdam with little to no problems (Will was so focused on religion and trade he barely had any units, I guess he though his Goddes of Protection city strenght bonus will suffice. It didnt.

Then things changed. Suddenly, becouse of the Warmonger thing, i became a pariah of the world, no one except Siam would talk to me, denouncements were flying at me left and right. So i actually spared William, left him with a city tucked away in the snow, to avoid getting even more hatred from the world. Instead i started focusing on the new culture game. Made it for a late Parthenon, and started pumping some tourism.

Now, i actually thought that tourism will not matter at all untill modern era, but as i accumulated more and more it quickly turned out i was really getting high influence with the broken Netherlands (shared religion, Trade routes) and Ottomans (no bonuses, so slower progression, but they sucked at culture. Spain, Polynesia and Siam as it turned out also went for culture, and my best friend Ramkhenhang (or whatever that guy's name is) soon denounced me out of the blue when i built yet another culture wonder (Globe Theatre). At that time i was on my own and the entire continent was hostile or at least guarded.

Fortunatly trade routes dont need acceptance, so i made ton of money with my caravans running from Warsaw and Amsterdam to Honolulu and Jakarta. My army was solid, culture and socpols greatest in the known world, tourism rising steadily (Netherlands on Influential at around XIIIth century, Popular with Ottomans,Indonesia and Byzantium). My biggest problem was the fact that i was still completly landlocked. No ships to explore, no sea trade routes. I was starting to worry how am i going to get influential on the other continent without it and what would world congress do to me. Unfortunatly the only sensible location for a city was, well, the location of Lhasa. The world hated me anyway.

Took Lhasa surprisingly easy, in one turn, and i finally had a port. I quickly sent trade ships to Edirne (to get fast Influential with Ottomans), pumped out some caravels (that i just teched) and sent them on an exploring spree. That is when, finally i met Sweden and Portugal, and since Sweden did not know me when i commited genocide in Amsterdam and Lhasa, they quickly became my friends, as i started to create a coalition against my former friends in Siam, who, after conquering the entire (two cities) Mongolia, became even more hated, then i was. Soon i had good relations with Sweden, Portugal and Indonesia, enough to be quite secure, and the Swedish GP bonus was a nice addition. The byzantines were a bit schizophrenic, DoF-ing in one turn, Denouncing in anotther, then DoF-ing again after the denouncement faded.

The hatred towards Siam brought on a period of warfare on an unprecedented scale, as Spain, Polynesia, Indonesia, Byzantium, Sweden and Portugal all fought against the Siam-Ottoman alliance, with... shall we say "mixed" results. Spain failed utterly as it had throughout the game, accomplishing nothing, signing an early peace and enjoying being locked away in their corner (and they didnt even properly colonize that). Byzantium failed twice, once against Siam, as they too signed a worthles peace, and for the second time when they lost a city to Indonesia in a 5 turn war. Polynesia got what they wanted and took Muang Seluang, Siams city bordering their territory, after which Kamehameha withdrew. Indonesia crashed repeatedly against Siams capital, but were just unable to breach the walls, no matter how hard they tried. The true victor of the war was Sweden. The far-south nation took most of Siam's original cities (4), leaving just the capital and the post-mogolian puppets. Suddenly Gustavus rose from a leader of an unimportant southern weakling to one of the greatest powers on the continent.

The world entered Renessaince, and then Industrial era (well, i did at least) and yet... still no World Congress! I finally found the other continent and found Venice, Babylon and Egypt on its western shore, all three being best friends and not hesitating a minute before telling me how happy they are that i became friends with their best friends. Still no Congress though, and it was already XVIth century. Finally! Polynesia found that one civ (the Inca) that got stuck landlocked and coused such trouble! Now we know that the last civs are: The Inca, The Celts, Persia and England! No, scratch that, next turn England is done for, as the Celts march triumphantly into London. So there's 16 of us now.

That almost brings us to were I finished, with just a couple of final acts: The fall of Ottoman culture, as it completly succumbed to polish influence, and the polish industrialization (3 factories) that led to the rise of the first ideology: The Polish Freedom. I hope to see how history goes from here on tonight, after i can finally get back from work.

Now, quick notes on BNW: Love it. Adore it. Its awesome. Simple changes such as Piety available from the start, realy give a lot of additional depth in both immersion and tactics. Trade routes are vital and incredible, giving the game a whole new layer. Reformation beliefs and revamped piety realy did good things for religion. The Culture system is awesome, and its great, that it can be usefull even in mid game.

I do have a couple of, bigger and smaller, dislikes though.

First and foremost it does seem to be true (even though i know its too early to tell with not even one full game) that AI agression is too low, and even though i get why, especialy in the very early game, i would prefer to see a bit more warfare in classical era, once you actually can field some units.
Second (a small one): i`d like to be able to see all the trade routes, not just my own, and that does not seem to be possible (i know, i see them when i get a coursor over a caravan or a cargo ship, but i mean without it).
Third: Open Borders. They used to be almost automatic, now they seem to be realy hard to get. Okay, its fine. But the problem is, that that interferes with World Congress. A civ with one or two landlocked city, and suddenly its realy hard to find, since no one wants to give OB to anyone (this time it was the Inca)
Fourth: I really think that Influential should... well do something. The culturaly dominated Civ should have a high positive diplomatic modiffier, a forced alliance or something. Right now its just... Yeah, okay, theyre mine. And thats it. No actuall effect. That seems just... underwhelming and breaks immersion, at least for me.
And fifth: I kinda feel like in mid to late game trade routes give a tad too much gold, i think either other sources should be nerfed further or trade routes should be scaled down a tad.

TLDR: Loads of fun, love it.

Being influential starts doing something when you get an ideology. I guess you'll see it tonight.

Not much I can share as my game (immortal, shoshone, continents) is at turn 125 and America and I are still isolated on a landmass. I got 4 cities up and forced the American cities to the margins. I did keep them alive only because I needed their gold. I do have 4 gems and 3 copper plus others so I got a good income but still needed more so I can maintain allies with three city-states.

I imagine the game will change drastically once everyone finds each other. My plan, now that liberty is done, is to go patronage and see where that takes me. Unexpected map for my first game.

Being influential starts doing something when you get an ideology. I guess you'll see it tonight.

Seen it right now, flipped Darius to freedom, finished my game by culture victory (didnt even have aesthetics) by turn 580 (epic and delayed it as usual), still I was friends with Brazil and eventually Shaka (he loves him some space stations it seems) despite Shaka having lost a couple of cities to me. No ideology blocks formed. Friendships held in place till the start though. I also bought a couple more CS back since Monty tried to buy them but I didn't get the 'competing to get the favor of the same CSs' negative.

I imagine the game will change drastically once everyone finds each other. My plan, now that liberty is done, is to go patronage and see where that takes me. Unexpected map for my first game.

Pretty far in the world council at least. But you need to reach the info era for a diplo vic.

I'm not sure whether it's because it's only my first game and I'm still learning the ropes with just about every aspect of the expansion, but Brave New World feels much harder than Gods & Kings. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it feels more like a completely different game: a Civ 5.5. I dropped down to Prince and I'm having to beg, steal and borrow at every opportunity just to keep up with the AI! This, by the way, is a Very Good Thing. For the first time since CiV came out, it feels like the AI is capable of winning without resorting to war.

I'm about halfway through, and not making the right choices in terms of policies, buildings and tech right from the beginning is costing me dear. Happiness and cash are like gold dust. The only wars that I'm aware of (I've only just met the other continent) were at Shaka's instigation - he wiped out most of Brazil, and DoWed me twice: I found out that Impis can be terrifying with those promotions, but now that he seems to have run out of them I need to take his cities. The threat to my hopes of securing a cultural victory is coming from Maria, who is ahead in tech and controls the World Congress, and Pocatello, whose culture looks almost insurmountable even with my fully-kitted-out French Great Library, Uffizi and Sistine Chapel. It's going to be a long, tough game. Ideologies haven't come into play yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing what that will bring...

On this showing, I definitely need to play a handful of games on Prince before I can even think about moving back up to King or Emperor!

I play on Prince/Large Map/Epic Speed.

Well, it doesn't look like my play style suits BNW at all. In my first game, I played as Assyria and expanded at a reasonable pace. India had placed a city really close to me, so I declared and took it. But then unhappiness started taking its toll.

Then, the Swedish decided I was too much of a threat and attacked me. I fended them off fine, and advanced on their closest city. I was going to take it in a few turns, but got it in a trade for peace instead. OMG - unhappiness of 8. Such a drag on everything. It eventually got to -10 and then a couple of rogue pikemen showed up by my capital and pillaged my road to some of my best cities. By this time, my gold was about -38 per turn.

Yuck. Nothing like this was happening on G&K. Also, the AI seems to be teching a lot faster, and even though I had about 10 cities and was getting things rolling, things were really starting to go downhill. I quit the game in frustration, deleting all the saves.

I guess I really am going to have to re-think my fast expansion and quick conquering approach. This worked well in G&K, so long as I kept unhappiness of about -5 to -8. Doesn't seem to work with BNW.

I did get a feel for Trade Routes, and Great Writers, Artists etc. though.

So, my 2nd attempt is with ShoShone, paying particular attention to happiness, and belining a couple of key early wonders. I belined Writing and got the Great Library, and then immediately built the National College. I was lucky to get the last Religion (phew). I got three more cites out right after National College, and am now trying for the Oracle. Happiness is at about +2 now, and I intended to try to keep it positive, expanding as much as I can, before trying to war with anyone.

Cheers.

So far (in immortal), I think gold is balanced ok and happiness still a bit too easy to come buy. The reason for the latter is that I am not trading every one of my luxuries every turn and thus being able to keep more of them for the happiness. I do like, however, what happens when you go -1 happiness. I don't know if they changed the modifier but the 75% reduction in food can be dramatic.

Regarding gold, apart from that I have a bunch of gold luxuries and only one trading partner, I am making good use of Initiation Rites. My continent has 4 of my cities, 5 American and 3 city-states all relatively close together. Since America is not aggressive in religion, I can plan on getting 1200 gold from conversion, esp. after I get Brodobur done soon.

Pretty far in the world council at least. But you need to reach the info era for a diplo vic.

I expect so but right now, I have no idea who the other 6 civs are. The demographic shows that I am behind, which is typical for me on immortal, but I'm doing ok in scores fwiw. Who knows if there are a couple of tourism/culture civs or whether they'll let me continue grabbing up the city-states while I go into patronage and cruise.

Truth be told but I havent met any CS friendly civs as of now. Only Shaka choose patronage and all he did with that is to build the forbidden palace.Then proceeded to take over all city states on his continent....Which flipped to me during tourist pressure (I guess free Tibet and Scotland like?) and I liberated them for a permanent alliance.

Truth be told but I havent met any CS friendly civs as of now. Only Shaka choose patronage and all he did with that is to build the forbidden palace.Then proceeded to take over all city states on his continent....Which flipped to me during tourist pressure (I guess free Tibet and Scotland like?) and I liberated them for a permanent alliance.

In my first game, Maria of Portugal was playing a CS-heavy game. I am not sure what she did but she had over 500 influence with some CSs.

I'm not sure whether it's because it's only my first game and I'm still learning the ropes with just about every aspect of the expansion, but Brave New World feels much harder than Gods & Kings. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it feels more like a completely different game: a Civ 5.5. I dropped down to Prince and I'm having to beg, steal and borrow at every opportunity just to keep up with the AI! This, by the way, is a Very Good Thing. For the first time since CiV came out, it feels like the AI is capable of winning without resorting to war.

I have the same feeling (although I only dropped from King to Prince) and I think this has to do with the better interplay between the systems. I used to go science-heavy and ignore everything else and it worked out. Right now, you cannot ignore your economy and culture and you have to play a more balanced game. More things to consider. And I agree: it is a very good thing.

I quit CIV5 vanilla pretty quick, but have to say BNW is much more fun.

So for me it's a change from CIV IV to BNW basically.

First I noticed is that naval combat and ships in general are MUCH more fun and far less hassle. Units being able to embark by themselves = best thing ever.
Being able to take cities with ships = amazing
Coastal cities also seem much better now than they used to be. With my second game I started with 4 fish, took tradition + exploration and had a 20+ city when the AI was barely breaking 10+ population with their capitals.

My first long game is not an easy one (Immortal, Shoshone, Continents, Standard). I feel somewhat directionless, not really sure what and how to work towards some goal. My science rate is good now (mid-game, just into Renaissance); almost done with Patronage (decent culture but very few wonders); got a good Religion and faith production but I'm on an isolated landmass and just now finding everyone else; I got a good hold on three city-states but I am now finding the rest and they're all locked up (Austria is in the game too); not sure about Tourism yet (I do have +4) and I don't know how the WC delegates will look like (still 30 turns before that will come into play). This is my first game and being played in my typical slow, methodical style but I still don't have my hands wrapped around what I should be here on out. General advice?

I was used to King difficult in G&K, i won about 2/3 of my games. Now its down to 20% out of 5 games played so far :D Time to tone down to prince.

But i think they changed the AI bonus. Last night i had a perfect game with Celts, started with 3 forests nearby, grabbed a great religion early on, i had 7 incenses around my capital, so i took that +1 culture +1 faith from incense and wine pantheon, oh man i was swimming in culture and faith. Took a ton of good wonders, grabbed askia capital, and was at second place in score, behind far-away Babylonia. Plus i had a HUGE army, carpeting my entire empire. Then my 2 neighbors/trade partners declared war on me at the same time, and attacked with waves of cavalry and rifles (i was still at muskets and knights). So i retired after a while, and noticed in the replay graphs that although i had the smallest army in the world (should have checked the demographics, lol), i had the HIGHEST army upkeep. That is upsetting, really. Also, according to the replay, in the time it took me to build a scout-scout-worker-monument-settler, Babylonia built 4 cities (!).

The only game out of 5 that i won was a Brazilian Time-victory (forgot to turn time victory off), but only because i puppet'ed 2 capitals and tons of cities; at 2050, even with 750 tourism/turn (1200+ during carnivals), i was still 100 turns away from a culture victory.

My first long game is not an easy one (Immortal, Shoshone, Continents, Standard). I feel somewhat directionless, not really sure what and how to work towards some goal. My science rate is good now (mid-game, just into Renaissance); almost done with Patronage (decent culture but very few wonders); got a good Religion and faith production but I'm on an isolated landmass and just now finding everyone else; I got a good hold on three city-states but I am now finding the rest and they're all locked up (Austria is in the game too); not sure about Tourism yet (I do have +4) and I don't know how the WC delegates will look like (still 30 turns before that will come into play). This is my first game and being played in my typical slow, methodical style but I still don't have my hands wrapped around what I should be here on out. General advice?

Your stats sound a lot like my first game, and so does that sense of drift. I missed the old sense of knowing I was steaming toward victory, even though out of context I much prefer a longer, more complex game.

My rough sense of your Tourism is that it's too low to ever catch up enough to win - by the time it becomes a force, some of your opponents will be out of reach, unless you're willing to take them out with late-game warfare. (If they're good-sized, as they probably are, then they'll have a mixed force that's tough to crack without taking major casualties.) This is why I suspect that a CV is by far the toughest, and out of whack in its relative difficulty.

As a result, I would make a choice among the other VC. If your science is already solid, then an SV should be achievable, unless there is that rare runaway opponent already focused on it. A DV seems out of range unless you go to war permanently,and I would advise that only if you want to experiment with that approach after getting a late start due to your isolated spawning.

In my first game, Maria of Portugal was playing a CS-heavy game. I am not sure what she did but she had over 500 influence with some CSs.

Well in my game she did nothing of the short, but I should explain that by CS friendly Civs I mean Greece and Siam mostly because those depend on CS rekations and influence. Marias lux can come even when at war.

@ Buccaneer I wouldn't worry about your tourism. The only thing that gives tourism prior to the renaissance is the Parthenon (barring GPs) and thats a +2. You probably did the same mistake as I did: Ignored the great artist guilds right?
Build those asap and slot them, then build the appropriate cultural buildings. Your tourism will only matter when archeology enters play and you start digging out stuff. Try to slot everything you have and swap around with other civs to get theme bonuses. Tourism numbers are rising very slowly and in actuality its a mechanic of the late game. Even the 2+ of the Parthenon is completely irrelevant in the early game. Its not a well (i.e you don't accumulate tourism), its a flat stat. You don't have 3 tourism per turn, you press them or defend yourself with 3 tourism per turn. I think with all build and without aesthetics I won at around a nine hundred something tourism and I started fumbling with it after the renaissance. Its a completely reversible situation, in fact should slot everything, pass the right resolutions and build hotels you will probably win without even noticing.

EDIT: When you have the lead on tourism open your borders and send diplomats to their capitals.

EDIT2: Once archeologists enter into play did the far sites first. If you don't have slots cap them by placing an archeologist atop them. Your own sites can be caped for later or used as landmarks.

As with everything in this game science. Once you get the key techs (hotels etc) you will snowball them.

Why do Devs always make add-ons that seem to kill the AI and make the game stupidly easy? They`ve had over 20 years and subsequent releases (of all games), yet, they still mess up. Are programmers just stupid at basic common sense (with the memories of a gold fish), but genius`s in putting together computer code to make a game?

Or is there some other reason why they continuously follow this Mo?

Maybe this computer programming stuff isn`t as hard as it looks? Maybe it`s like driving a car since I`ve seen people who shouldn`t be on the road driving?

Top Bottom