Shooting at Wilders speech in Texas

dutchfire

Deity
Retired Moderator
http://www.bbc.com/news/32582683

US police are searching the home of suspected gunmen who attacked a conference on cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad in Dallas, officials say.

An FBI official said agents were collecting evidence at an apartment in Phoenix, Arizona.

One suspect was identified as Elton Simpson, who had been previously investigated on suspicion of terrorism offences, US media reported.

Two gunmen were shot dead after opening fire outside the contest on Sunday.

They drove to the Muhammad Art Exhibit in the Dallas suburb of Garland as the event was ending, shooting at and wounding a security officer before being killed by police.

Sunday evening's event was organised by the American Freedom Defense Initiative (AFDI), which is run by controversial blogger and activist Pamela Geller.

One of the keynote speakers was the Dutch politician Geert Wilders, an outspoken critic of Islam in Western societies.

The conference included a contest that offered a $10,000 (£6,600) prize for a cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad. Depictions of the Prophet Muhammad are offensive to many Muslims.

Good thing there were so many policemen there.

Now, let's wait for the hordes to defend the caricaturists under the guise of "free speech".

http://www.bbc.com/news/32582683

Good thing there were so many policemen there.

There is always a huge police/security presence at KKK rallies as well. Any public meeting of extremists will usually bring out opposing extremists, so that's just sensible precaution.

Glad this was ended with minimal losses compared to the potential bloodbath.

A little background on this. There had been a relatively peaceful Muslim conference at the center earlier in the year or last year that was protested by the local bigots. In response, Pam Geller (perhaps the biggest anti-Muslim nutcase out there) decided to host this art competition at the same center. There was not much in the way of protest by Muslims at the event.

The "artwork" were not mere depictions of Muhammad, but pretty offensive stuff. Of course there are limits - my offer to draw a picture of Muhammad sodomizing Jesus and Mary was declined.

It really speaks to the low level of terrorist activity in the U.S. in that the only response was a road trip by an American and his roommate from out of state in a badly botched shooting. In Texas, kids are more in danger from being killed by their Christian mothers than 1st Amendemnt trolls are at risk of being killed by a Musilim terrorist.

I make no excuse for the shooters, but two roommates out of the entire Muslim population shows that the threat is overstated.

What about IS claiming that they actually did it?

That would be typical. It would also be typical for the whack jobs from the other side to claim that ISIS must have done it.

My understanding is that ISIS tried to drum up someone stateside into doing something. I would think ISIS would want to distance themselves from such a weak and ineffective response. America has emo teenaged boys that can pull off much more than this.

That's true, but one could say that they "called for it".

Nah, pretty sure being an obnoxious dick doesn't 'call' for you to be murdered anywhere, much less a country where the constitution protects it.

Now, let's wait for the hordes to defend the caricaturists under the guise of "free speech".

I'm not sure why you felt the need to use scare quotes there. Free speech absolutely covers attempts to be deliberately offensive. This is the United States, not Saudi Arabia.

I make no excuse for the shooters, but two roommates out of the entire Muslim population shows that the threat is overstated.
Interesting background info. Wonder why none of my usual "high quality" media sources managed to tell me about it.

I think I've heard enough of that Pam woman to know I don't like her, and you're quite right that the threat of Muslim terrorists is overstated.

However,

What troubles me is the fact that the media is censoring itself. And that they are doing this for the sole reason that some Muslims have demonstrated their willingness to complain violently about things they don't like.

I haven't seen any examples of the drawings from this event, and while no one else seems to have fumbled the ball quite like Daily Mail, they all seem to have used pictures or cropped photos that do not show the drawings. After Charlie Hebdo and Copenhagen, it was refreshing to see that the media were willing to show some of the drawings. It was natural then, just as it would have been now.

I was going to use a contrasting example here, and mention how the media had no problem showing the insulting Buddha picture from this case in Myanmar. However, it seems that it is exceeding difficult to find any major news outlets showing the picture!

As I can't recollect any problems at all reading news stories which showed this picture when the news broke, I am suddenly rather anxious that this is another example of self-censorship... Or am I just extrapolating from bad data??

If I'm not, then all this religious self-censorship is really starting to get to me... :twitch:

Present!

But this is about free speech! No matter how annoyingly hypocritical or downright racist these particular event organisers were, they must have the right to freely mock, criticize or challenge anything! Including religions, and any aspect of such!

No, one could not. No more than you would be asking for it if you ever end up a victim of blind violence when you go out of your house. Frankly, I find your disparaging attitude towards the potential victims here quite offensive. :huh:

Yeah "They were asking for it" is victim shaming, which I thought was a big no no.

In trying to fend off your posting surge, I am having to resort to desperate measures.

Just post a lot when I'm on vacation. I'll be gone 5 weeks.

I saw pictures at the event (and I think they showed them on the local news). They were fairly offensive. I asked if a straightforward drawing could win the contest and was laughed at.

Organizers spent 10 gran on security measures and the poor security guard that got shot was unarmed! And this is in Texas! After Charlie...

It just shocks me that some one say drawing offensive cartoons which is actually protected by free speech calls for a violent response and then will go to many lengths to defend rioters and other violent protests under the same guise. I'm not pointing at the above poster specifically, just in general based on a lot of media responses.

You guys also realized these countries run by extremist Muslims are not just anti free speech but anti freedom in general? They do terrible things to women, gays, anyone of any other religion. If some terriosts shot up a gay rights rally would anyone in their right mind say the ralliers "called for it?" No! That would be not only wrong and ignorant but completely non pc.

And that's the problem, it's incredibly easy to take shots at right wing and christian activists when really the outrage at this event should have nothing to do with the topic being presented and only with their right to present it.

I saw pictures at the event (and I think they showed them on the local news). They were fairly offensive. I asked if a straightforward drawing could win the contest and was laughed at.
You were there?? Really good thing that it all went well then.

And it's good that someone have at least seen them. I haven't been able to see a single one.

The organisers certainly didn't arrange for a very pleasant activity, I'll easily concede, but I'm in general quite upset that someone else's claimed "right" to not get offended, trumps my right to be properly informed. As it is, I have no way to make up my mind about how potentially offensive these drawings were, and am relegated to trust the opinion of others.

That kind of disenfranchisement makes me rather irate.

I was there to do some real life trolling, but left a bit early after it was clear that real life infractions were about to be issued.

Most of the "artwork" linked the Abrahamic figure to terrorism or made lewd sexual connotations.

Again, not making excuses for the shooters, but if we really had a terrorist problem in this country, I think we would have seen a more competent attack.

Top Bottom