Should I rebuy civ 4? Read description

chrisg7

Chieftain
So me and my friend used to always play internet games on civ 4 complete edition. He owned civ through steam, and I bought it from Amazon. Recently, we tried to play one. He logged in (to the gamespy thing it prompts u for when you select "internet games) and was directed to the server browser. I tried to log in, but it told me I wasn't accepted or something (can't remember exact wording, will find that later). My thinking is, if I rebuy the game on steam, it will work again. I heard something about a gamespy shutdown or something and I think that has something to do with it... Let me know what you think. Should I rebuy? It's on steam sale atm!

Anyone know the deal with regard to trying to play Civ IV online, can it still be done, how or which way is best ? Apart from an announcement there seems to be no firm info out there, having got my pals to buy the game on amazon it now seems impossible to play online.. advice would be greatly appreciated.

After gamespy shutdown they made a new 'planned obsolescence' type of patch for civ4 that transitions it to steam lobby. You can play in that lobby if u own game on steam. That patch also introduced the limitation of 4 human players per internet game. And added some lags during internet games. These lags seem to be related to steam drm taking alot of processing power (more than the game takes itself it seems). Also the new patch terminated chat inside internet lobby. In my experience the new steam lobby and internet games on new patch are lame.

Other 3 ways of playing online games of civ4 (without new patch):
-Playing direct ip. Best way for now in my opinion, but u need to find players somewhere, like skype or facebook or watever. http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7123 - main discussion on how to make direct ip work without gamespy.

-Using virtual lan software to play LAN games with players on internet. Some people use this: www.evolvehq.com. Disadvantage here is virtual lan software adds its own little lags.

-Using http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=534629 substitute lobby server. Biggest disadvantage is that currently u need to tinker ur router configuration to be able to host games there. Maybe it will be solved in some time.

Top Bottom