Should I settle on this salt?

bhavv

Glorious World Dictator
Settling on this salt = 4 fish city. Should I?

Spoiler :

Not even for a shrine, temple, mosque and pagoda? And another food caravan to Madrid?

Nope, its too late to settle a city for anything less than a natural wonder.

I strongly disagree with this.

Sure, this new city isn't going to be one of your powerhouse cities.

Even in the late game, settling cities may be beneficial for:

- Strategic purposes (control a chokepoint, bridge two bodies of want, forward settle an opponent especially for Citadel purposes)

- Grab resources (luxuries, strategics)

- Provide more Great Work slots!

- Prevent other civs from filling the void

- Provide additional options for trade routes

etc.

Back to the OP, that seems like a reasonable settlement choice. The city gives you access to 2 sources of salt (where you settle and to the south). With 4 fish and a cow, it has a decent amount of food potential. Also gives you more of a coastal presence.

Good heavens, settle it. Is the goddess of the sea pantheon out? Try and grab a missionary for that religion somehow. Only question is whether it's too late in the game. You have no horses, and he's got horses. You have gold, so you can jump start him a bit. I might be sending food/hammers FROM Madrid to jump it--he needs 8 population and 4work boats just to farm all the resource tiles.

I've already traded away 4 last copies of my luxuries, and am sat comfortably at over +5. Happiness isnt a problem. I will settle it :p

Yes I have food from Madrid going to Barcelona which can be changed, and that city will give me another food caravan to Madrid. I burned all my gold on buildings, will have to wait for my next 1.2k.

Do what you like, but settling on the salt means you never get the enhanced yield from improving the salt. The city center will yield 2 food and 1 hammer, just as if you settled on the plains tile 1 NW. I would settle on that coastal plains tile 1 tile NW.

Do what you like, but settling on the salt means you never get the enhanced yield from improving the salt. The city center will yield 2 food and 1 hammer, just as if you settled on the plains tile 1 NW. I would settle on that coastal plains tile 1 tile NW.
If they do settle on the salt the OP still gets the salt south of the city. If they settle 1 NW they won't get access to the south salt. Either way each city position gets 1 improved salt. And if settling on the salt that will be 2 salt to trade away.

Settle SE of the Salt, get three fish but get two improvable salt, Cattle and Horses nearby, next to desert, and two jungle tiles within 3 rings.
Jungle might hide Uranium.

An extra fish is a better tile than a salt though. I settled on the salt.

Agree on settling this city. It's only 1045 AD, it's not THAT late. This city can still become pretty developed later on.

Should probably settle SE of the salt so you can put a mine on it, although you will lose one fish by doing so...

I'd definitely settle just not on the salt. Just because you can make 4 cities and sit there and win, doesn't mean it is the only way to play the game. IMO, winning is really just a side event in civ. Making your empire 'great' is what its all about ('great' is defined by the player).

That's some insane faith. It see it's turn 509=1045ad, which means Marathon. One question might be how many cities you have already; because if it's more than 10 it starts to become iffy. If you have another coastal city, I would cargo-ship in hammers from there instead. The new city needs hammers to kick-start it more than food. Lighthouse and work boats to start; I would get another coastal city to help out with the work boats if I can. Later it can benefit from a stable.

This city should be able to help out with spaceship parts when you're done.

I would agree with the poster that says its kind of late to be founding any new cities unless they are truly excellent (natural wonder OR a key strategic resource; Horses aren't key)
This particular site (along with the nearby ones) is good enough if an AI gets an city to size 10 that you conquer to be worth keeping, but not for self-founding.

I strongly disagree with this.

Sure, this new city isn't going to be one of your powerhouse cities.

Even in the late game, settling cities may be beneficial for:

- Strategic purposes (control a chokepoint, bridge two bodies of want, forward settle an opponent especially for Citadel purposes)

- Grab resources (luxuries, strategics)

- Provide more Great Work slots!

- Prevent other civs from filling the void

- Provide additional options for trade routes

etc.

Back to the OP, that seems like a reasonable settlement choice. The city gives you access to 2 sources of salt (where you settle and to the south). With 4 fish and a cow, it has a decent amount of food potential. Also gives you more of a coastal presence.

This is just horrible advice, sorry :( but i guess that if OP is not looking to improve his gameplay for maximum efficiency then do whatever and still win.

I'd definitely settle just not on the salt. Just because you can make 4 cities and sit there and win, doesn't mean it is the only way to play the game. IMO, winning is really just a side event in civ. Making your empire 'great' is what its all about ('great' is defined by the player).
Agree with this. If you feel like settling, do it! Optimizing fun is more important than optimizing win time imo, and Spain is all about going massively wide.

Maximum efficiency with to the glory of God = Moar cities and moar faith.

And more population is always good.

Maximum efficiency with to the glory of God = Moar cities and moar faith.

And more population is always good.

well if you truly believe this, then why are you asking the question? Then the answer should obviously be to settle more cities?

The question was whether or not to settle on the salt, not whether or not to settle a city lol.

Top Bottom