Should the site have "give reputation to players"?

A reputation or 'karma' system would personally be not a good idea as it would focus on mass down voting abuse and maybe even hindrance to minority viewpoints being completely thrown out of the water by pass downs.

Similarly the mass ups approach which may hinder critiques towards a post, along with encouraging a "happiness is mandatory" approach.

There's a couple of forums that I know that used to have the reputation system (one of which still uses vbulletin like this one) but in the end they realized that there wasn't much of a benefit on that, it was a possible source of discontent and tension and in the end they removed it.

I think that using a system with only the option to give positive reputation (or none), as the one used in the main Total War forums, would not have to be a bad idea.
But allowing downvoting surely will fast become a trollfest ;)

Personally i don't see much point in it, although it can be a nice feature, and one can allow for it to be turned off as well.

I'm a member of another forum that allows "likes" for individual posts, and that forum is using vBulletin 4. That said, I'm not sure that it came built-in and wasn't an add-on.

But I agree with Camikazi that an individual new feature should be only a small part of a decision about whether to upgrade. CFC has actually been quite reliable and fairly quick to load for the past 4-5 years, and I'd much rather have that than vBulletin 5 with new features of debatable value but a broken back-end.

I'd just like the email notifications to work again.

I don't see what's wrong with having "likes" for individual posts. No downvoting and no reputation, just the ability to show your appreciation of a good post.

I agree. While this May amount to a popularity contest a positive-only system would work better than any alternative.

There is a website i frequent which is cool, but thier rep system has pos/neg and is WEIGHTED. That means some neg rep from a few blue hair posters will send you deep into red territory and on the banned lists in just a few posts.

I agree. While this May amount to a popularity contest a positive-only system would work better than any alternative.
One alternative would be to leave it as it is. People 'don't see what's wrong' with a 'like' system, but what would the point of it be?
Increase the quality of posts? Make endorsement anonymous? Make popular posters feel better about themselves? To make unpopular posters feel better about themselves? To vote for certain values without dogpiling? To support trolls that one agree with, without risking infraction?

Could be interesting to try. I'm just not sure of the purpose. I'm sure people see different uses of it though.

One of my favorite parts of the SBNation community is the ability to "rec" posts, and when posts get sufficiently rec'd they turn green. It's kind of neat. It gives a newcomers to the thread a quick "best of" of the thread and getting rec'd makes you feel like the crap you just spewed at the screen was worthwhile. Really neat system.

I've never really thought much of the reputation systems on forums really showing much of value, other than that person posted a lot of stuff that people liked. Which doesn't always mean high quality. CFC has enough trouble getting some of its existing problems dealt with or organized as it is, with changes taking years to happen.

Having seen this kind of thing elsewhere, I think its main effect will be to reinforce the received wisdom on any topic, and risk turning some forums into echo chambers wherein trolls are the only dissenting voices.

All vote systems do is lead to circlejerks.

If you really think someone made a good contribution make a text post telling them.

All vote systems do is lead to circlejerks.

If you really think someone made a good contribution make a text post telling them.
How the hell is a bunch of people saying "yeah dude, tell em" less circlejerky than "this post was liked by 3 people" ?? Those posts are a useless waste of space. Likes allow you to show your agreement and appreciation without cluttering the thread.

How the hell is a bunch of people saying "yeah dude, tell em" less circlejerky than "this post was liked by 3 people" ?? Those posts are a useless waste of space. Likes allow you to show your agreement and appreciation without cluttering the thread.

A PM or VM is fine for showing agreement and appreciation. If you have nothing more to add than that, what value is there to anyone else to have your opinions registered in-thread?

I was thinking of posts more outside of OT, like good explanations of how to mod things, or someone posting some sort of guide. Im not sure if a post in OT could ever be labelled a "good contribution".

Im not sure if a post in OT could ever be labelled a "good contribution".
EXCUSE ME? :huh:

There are thousands of very good posts in OT that are positive contributions to this site. Thanks for insulting a lot of fellow forum members, some of whom are still actively playing Civ and participating in the Civ areas of the site.

I was thinking of posts more outside of OT, like good explanations of how to mod things, or someone posting some sort of guide. Im not sure if a post in OT could ever be labelled a "good contribution".
How is liking someone's mod or guide a circlejerk :confused:

Top Bottom