Simcity vs Civilization

- doesn't have a goal (you can build metropolises as well as little farming towns), the possibilities are infinite, do what you like.
- there is no opponent to play against
- a game doesn't stop, it goes on forever

I think this are quite unique characteristics for a game

Count to 10 before taking the bait everybody...

...OK, I got as far as 3...

...Ultraworld, go get a life and annoy the members of some other forum.

Please! You win, OK?

This is my tribute of 23gp. Now , take a run and...

Unless Simcity has changed a lot in the most recent releases, it isn't even close. Simcity sucked the versions I've played.

You sit there and sit there and build a building or two and hope somebody occupies it. You change your tax rate. Sit around some more. Sometimes you make money, sometimes you lose money. Then an earthquake hits and everything starts burning down and you hope you have a fire dept close by.

Repeat forever with no goal.

Why are some of you picking on Ultraworld, just because he has his opinions. He didn't say Civ sucks, he just said it came in a CLOSE second. He likes simcity, its a pretty good game. He just wanted to hear everyone else's opinion. Personally, Civ is my favorite, but Simcity is fun too. I really don't see what the big deal is.

SimCity is fun, but Civ is way better

Originally posted by Benderino
Why are some of you picking on Ultraworld, just because he has his opinions. He didn't say Civ sucks, he just said it came in a CLOSE second. He likes simcity, its a pretty good game. He just wanted to hear everyone else's opinion. Personally, Civ is my favorite, but Simcity is fun too. I really don't see what the big deal is.

No big deal at all. But if you walk into the Boston Red Sox dugout and proclaim loudly that the Yankees are better than the Red Sox, you should expect a certain level of hostility:lol:

Originally posted by MadScot
Major difference between the two games:

SimCity is pretty much 'real-time' - in the bizarre way 'real time' is used for computer games - while Civ is turn based. Even though you can pause SimCity, and Civ has a turnless mode, the games at heart have that difference.

Personally, I consider 'real time strategy' to be a complete oxymoron. Strategy means stopping and thinking, not reacting as fast as you can. On that basis alone Civ scores mightily in my books.

There are many interesting premises out there, but when I see 'real time strategy' on the box it pretty much goes right back on the shelf.

(and yes, I do have SimCity...bought while my civ was u/s)

I agree. I used to be a huge Age of Empires (AOE) player. I still occasionally play AOE when I want a short game, but I find more & more I prefer the turn based nature of CIV3 when I have the time to play a few turns. I guess I grew a little tired of the manic mouse clicking required to beat AOE @ the hard levels. My daugher plays the SIM city games, but the lack of a military component pretty much limits my interest in SIM city. But to each his own...play whatever *YOU* get the most enjoyment from. For me, that's getting better @ CIV3 so I can achieve a diety level victory.:D

Personally, I find it funny that both sides of the aisle get so worked up over the superiority of any game - as if slamming a game a player likes is a personal affront. :lol:

If someone enjoys a certain game, why should anyone else care about it??? If somebody slams a game you like, simply ignore him...

SimCity 2K was my first love, and I own it, SimCity 3000 AND SimCity 3000 Unlimited. However, I only play the SimCity games when I have an unexplainable desire to do so. I install, play for a few days, and uninstall. I keep my cities saved. In the long run, I believe Civ3 will probally be more enjoyable to me..as long as the peace is kept. :lol:.

(Don't have SimCity 4...my computer is too slow.)

I don't think that Ultraworld is slamming the game. He has his own opinion about what he says. He just happens to give ideas for the game about what should be corrected/added/changed. Why do some people think that he is bashing Civ 3?
Anyway, like I said, I like Civ 3 way more than Simcity. :)

Almost forgot...

EU2 is way superior to both SimCity and civ3. ;)

Good for you! :goodjob:But...how can you remember Civ 3 (which in your opinion is less superior) and forget EU2?

The content of the (...almost forgot) post was supposed to be on the end of my initial post in this thread. It should have probably read,

'I almost forgot to post this...'

...and after playing both, I haven't touched civ3 in over a year.

Originally posted by sealman

Only a dumb pothead would do something like that.

[pimp]

The life expectancy of a dumb pothead Yankee fan in the Red Sox dugout could probably be measured in seconds:crazyeye:

hexagonian, you'll be back. EU2 is a great game but its just too restricting. Youre locked into historical events too much. After awhile I went back to civ3 just for the free wheeling fun of it. Civ3 is so customizable, while with EU2 everything is hard wired, hard coded, or whatever the correct term is. Treaty of Tortillas anyone? (yawn)

If I wanted true customability with a robust events creation format (SLIC), I'd play CTP2 and my 'Cradle' Mod or 'Lord of the Rings' Scenario. :D

But that's an argument for another day. :lol:

Top Bottom