Simplified Tech Tree for a good/thriving civilization in civ 1

Skybuck

Prince
The big four techs can be reached quite fast:
Republic
Religion
University
Banking

By following the minimum path these can be reached quite quickly and also gives many other usefull techs along the way. Plus a bonus tech: astronomy for the special tech wonder: observetory.
(By avoiding tech trades with other civilizations, the technologies can be kept cheap, only trade what you truely need ! ;))

Video link:

Picture
SimplifiedTechTreeV3.png

I guess this is subjective and depends on your style of play.

For me, the real important techs are:
1. Mathematics - only by building Catapults, we are able to properly defend your cities.
2. Writing - Diplomats are the most valuable unit in the game if you want to play a peaceful game. You will use them throughout the duration of the game.
3. Trade - Caravans are key for building a strong economy and for helping to build Wonders of the World.
4. Navigation - it is essential for discovering the world and allow the first eternal Wonder of the World (effects of Magellan's Expedition last forever).
5. Railroad - this tech helps both your economy and your defense system.
6. Industrialization - allows the construction of the single most important Wonder of the World (Women's Suffrage).
7. Automobile - that's when you really start kicking some asses.

First three are easy to get, last four are difficulty... must have a good thriving economy and research bulbs to be able to get that far and that is what the tech map is for.

Automobile is very hard to get and requires many many many other techs, cruiser/battleships might even arrive before then and battleships are a stronger attack unit, but usefullness is limited only to attack coastal cities but can also defend againt sea-invasion. Steel is easier to get than armor.

Industrialization is nice for factories and I believe it also gives access to transports which is also very usefull to transport more in case of naval/sea exploration/transportation needs ! ;)

I consider:

Best techs per category:

Republic number best economic tech, number 1 tech.
(best economic tech will still allowing warfare, strong food growth, strong economy)

Masonry best defensive tech, number 2 tech.
(best defensive tech, cheap to get, somewhat hard/expensive to build, good for defense for a very long time until invention of artillery.)

Artillery best attack tech, number 3 tech, best attack unit for ground warfare. (robotics also gives advanced factory/manufacturing plant)
Steel

Steel best naval tech.

Writing best research tech also dual function as attack tech with diplomats and spying tech with diplomats, cheap and fast to get.

Deploying caravans is hard against enemy AI ;) :) might be a waste of shields, do agree can help build wonders... I usually don't bother with wonders that go obsolete, though it is fun to have collussus at start for big economic influx and can last a long time till electronics... that will be a while ! ;)

Ceremonial burial, best religious tech, cheap/east fast to get and can get cities started somewhat above 3...

Railroad indeed best "speed up/connection/movement tech" almost infinite moves lol, depends if go to used or not. It's difficult to get though... bridge building might be more usefull is easier to get at least to cross pesky rivers which can slow down army approaches sometimes or deprive cities from more wealth ! ;) it requires iron working... rail road is difficult requires steam engine, but how to get it ? requires many others... I can never really remember how to get railroad... I hope some day I will be better at the more advanced techs to remember how to get them in some kind of easy/usefull pattern that makes sense... at least this simplified tech tree makes a lot of sense... all progress immediately kicks the civ into high gear, no unnnecessary techs invented in between... so an exponential path to "economic/research/build" success...

Now all I need is some kind of simplified/stream lined army tech tree...

related thread:

Industrialization allows you to build transports. They carry 8 units each, have fairly good defense and don't give you a sad face for having a ship out of town.

Once you got trade and maconry, you don't really need republic. Make pyramids and switch to democraty. Then rush to railroad, the game become easier.While the rush, get religion asap. JS Bach is a very powerfull wonder.

Once, when I was still inexperienced, I raced with the AI to build Oracle, Hanging gardens, Cure for cancer, Bach catedral and Michalangelo Chapel.
Now I keep an eye only on Bach catedral because it be must build on proper continent.
Rest I prefer to take with conquer enemy city rather than waste my own manufacturing power on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom