Since no one likes Steam, what type of DRM would you prefer?

Which DRM do you prefer?

• Steam

Votes: 124 55.1%
  • Disk Check

Votes: 83 36.9%
  • SecuROM

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Draconian Ubisoftesque DRM

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • 1 computer, single installation

Votes: 9 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How about the same DRM that Relic put in Company of Heroes?

Got an internet connection? Register the key to your Relic account. Whenever you're online it verifies with the online account and you're good to go.

Don't have one? If the game detects no internet connection, it checks to see if the disk is in the drive. If it is, you're good to go.

Absolutely brilliant.

Well, no DRM at all (not even a disc check, one of the options) obviously isn't happening, and if you don't know/care, then don't vote....yeah there could be more options, but adding too many options just makes these sorts of polls a mess sometimes.

No, it makes them accurate. If you want a similarly biased poll and that is even more elegant, look at the one that was closed that asked the question "Would you prefer a steam or non-steam version?". The votes went in favour of the non-steam version before the poll was closed. That poll also failed to have a don't care or "other" vote option.

An ounce of organization is better than a pound of steam.

lol this is the most quotable statement in this thread so far. :goodjob:

Like Peng Qi spoke of above, the best system would be one where I can use Steam and its download to install the game or the cd and its cd key (or similar method) to install the game. If I had both those options I would have absolutely nothing to complain about re DRM (activation specficially). The number of times my games computer has not had access to an internet connection far exceed the number of times I have not had access to a game disc. If it was purely a matter of accessibility, the cd check would be the winner in my book. If we want convenience, I find it hard to decide whether requiring a couple of seconds to insert a disc in the drive, several seconds waiting for steam to load or requiring an internet connection is preferable. If I had a netbook computer or one without a cd drive, the decision would be easy, but as it is I can install a cd drive (that I can buy for seriously less than $5) in any desktop computer I build. Building a computer without such a drive just to prove a point would be a bigger inconvenience due to all the other things I could no longer do.

Obviously like everyone else I'd rather no DRM at all. But that isn't going to happen. The negative press of DRM obviously doesn't drive away as many customers as the number of extra sales it creates. Companies are out to make a buck, they wouldn't pay for DRM if it didn't work.

So given the choice of DRM, give me steam any day of the week. Steam is something I don't even notice or have to care about. Can't say the same thing about disc checks, which are a royal pain in the behind.

None of the above: Gamersgate.com

Why 2k chose Steam: It can handle DRM, Anti-cheat, Multiplayer, Achievements, Friends Lists, DRM, Patch Distrubution, Cloud Saves, and more. All at once.

You're soon to be disilluded. Besides, Firaxis never had a problem with patch distribution, Steam had, has and will have loads.

I haven't had a single problem with patch distribution from steam in 4 and a half years of using it.

Never say never, said the wise man.

I'll keep it polite and just say you have a problem understanding the wise man, it seems.

Moderator Action: Don't try to troll other members. We don't very much tolerance for that.

Wait, when I verify it for the first time, will I be able to play it later without internet connection? My connection tends to break/get lost/cut (don't know how to express it better) several times a day. So I would be pretty much screwed if can't play it every time my connection dies.

Wait, when I verify it for the first time, will I be able to play it later without internet connection? My connection tends to break/get lost/cut (don't know how to express it better) several times a day. So I would be pretty much screwed if can't play it every time my connection dies.

If Steam cannot connect to the internet it simply gives you the option to play in offline mode. Once you have verified the game online (ie. at the original install) then you don't need to use the internet to play the game. I know this for a fact, as I have played Steam games on the train and at the airport with no internet access. If your internet is a bit iffy then it won't be a problem.

If Steam cannot connect to the internet it simply gives you the option to play in offline mode. Once you have verified the game online (ie. at the original install) then you don't need to use the internet to play the game. I know this for a fact, as I have played Steam games on the train and at the airport with no internet access. If your internet is a bit iffy then it won't be a problem.

It should be mentioned that you have the option to set the game (and the Steam client) to the so-called "offline mode", which in your case of unreliable internet connection would be recommended.
That has to be done manually, while you're still online (yet it should be an one-time action, although people have reported it to leave offline mode occasionally - reasons and conditions for this seem to be a bit unpredictable). After that, restart the Steam client and play the game.

If not set to the so-called "offline mode", there have been reports that the Steam client may terminate in case of losing internet connection, which actually would cause the game to terminate as well.

It should be mentioned that you have the option to set the game (and the Steam client) to the so-called "offline mode", which in your case of unreliable internet connection would be recommended.
That has to be done manually, while you're still online (yet it should be an one-time action, although people have reported it to leave offline mode occasionally - reasons and conditions for this seem to be a bit unpredictable). After that, restart the Steam client and play the game.

If not set to the so-called "offline mode", there have been reports that the Steam client may terminate in case of losing internet connection, which actually would cause the game to terminate as well.

You don't actually have to be connected to the internet to switch to offline mode. I did it myself a few days ago, when I wasn't connected to the internet. I think it used to be that way, but it's not anymore.

You don't actually have to be connected to the internet to switch to offline mode. I did it myself a few days ago, when I wasn't connected to the internet. I think it used to be that way, but it's not anymore.

From Steam Support: Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:

1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
2. Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
3. Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
4. Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
5. From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
6. Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode

wow, quite a hassle just to be able to play offline.

its not, actually - essentially clicking on go offline, however it requires all updates to be done before it works - and the description is wrong in at least the fact that it needs credentials saved - that is not true for the machine I installed steam on, it stays offline just fine without saving credentials.

I believe the instructions posted by Greybriar are recommended instructions for getting offline mode to work (troubleshooting) - i.e. for people who may be experiencing trouble. For most people, some or many of those steps are not necessary.

I know all I have to do, assuming my internet connection isn't playing up (in which case I need to disable my wireless card), is steps 5 and 6 which are the two most obvious ones.

actually no it's not just a click, why do you say it's just a click when you have to
- start their third party client, which might need updating
- start the game to double check if it needs updating (evidently they aren't sure of their update checker system)
- update it (willing or not) in case it's not
- click here and there (steps 1 and 5, the need of which is beyond my guessing capabilities)
- another click
- restart

Seems a bit more than a click to me.

Top Bottom