Sisiutil's Strategy Guide for Beginners

Great guide, the only two big omissions I saw were:

1. I'd like to see a little more in-depth discussion of trade routes, considering they are something a lot of beginners ignore that can potentially bring in huge returns. In games with a lot of overseas empires, I've had my science income more than double after discovering astronomy. I also noticed you didn't mention the Great Lighthouse, my favorite wonder, which can totally transform your game plan.

2. Spy mission -% modifiers, which are big part of using espionage. -% modifiers on spy missions are sort of like your +% building modifiers on science and wealth production, amassing those -% modifiers are how you make espionage pay off big compared to a similar investment in science. The big -% modifier is the holy shrine bonus. You get a whopping -40% if the following is true: you control the holy shrine of your state religion; your state religion is present in the target city; and the target empire has a different state religion. Combined with the stationary spy bonus, you can easily be paying 25% of the full cost for stealing technology - that's like having a 400% bonus compared to a similar investment in science. Supercharging your espionage is one of the biggest benefits from controlling a shrine. Espionage, for the most part, isn't about producing huge amounts of EP - it's about making what you have go as far as possible.

Thanks for the input, QG. I will definitely work in a section on trade routes in the next version; I've neglected dealing with them at a basic level for too long. I'm kind of amazed that you're the first person to take me to task for it!

However, I probably won't work in your espionage tactics, mainly because this is a beginners' guide (despite its length). What you're talking about is sound, but it also just complex enough, IMHO, to make it an intermediate tactic. For a beginner, I think it's enough to know that leaving the spy stationary for 5 turns will reduce the price of the mission by 50%, which I've already mentioned.

But you've given me an idea for a future section to be added to my Intermediate Tactics and Gambits guide! :goodjob:

Congratulations for this excellent document Sisiutil.:hatsoff:

I'm a member of civfr, a French website dedicated to Civ.
We have on our website several articles for beginners, but such a complete document is missing and would be very helpfull IMO.

Don't you mind if I translate it in French and publish it on www.civfr.com ?

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Sisiutil's guide should be mandatory reading for beginning players. :goodjob:

Welcome to the Forums Beto_civfr. :beer:

I feel that the four guides were great but you should add another guide dealing with the leaders and your views on them IF you have the time and I hope you revive the ALC soon

I feel that the four guides were great but you should add another guide dealing with the leaders and your views on them IF you have the time and I hope you revive the ALC soon
Thanks. I have, in fact, been working on a guide like that, but it's a very long one, is taking a while, and of course, I haven't played a game as every leader just yet.

Just read the whole guide tonight. I considered myself an intermediate player but I guess I'm not! Really, really well done and much appreciated. Lots of extremely helpful information that's got my head spinning with the possibilities. What a game huh!!!

Thank you kind sir!!!

I just posted version 4.1 in the first post in the thread. It has a few minor tweaks, but the main change is, as QuixotesGhost suggested, a long-overdue section on trade routes (section 4.4.1, under Cities/Commerce).

Top Bottom