SMAN's The World at War

I just caught this today. The Telegraph Office's 10% culture boost does not work because you attempted to implement it through the Building_YieldModifiers table, you have to use the CultureRateModifier attribute in the Buildings table for culture yields.

Thanks, @MariusMagnus - just double checked this to see it not working... :hammer2:

IIRC somewhere, the game engine doesn't use the Culture yield like it does all other yields in the game. It should. It just doesn't...

Looking over the mod, the Art Gallery will also fail using this approach. Will add this to my list of fixes for the next version.

Good catch! Thanks.

Hi! It's me from steam's bugs thread!
I still can't upload the log but I can provide a picture

Attachments

• aaaa.PNG
    aaaa.PNG
    47.9 KB · Views: 209
Well, there's nothing there, so it doesn't provide any information concerning the problem. If there's a fault in the way the new font is designed, I'd expect to see some kind of hint here. Makes me wonder if we don't have a good enough version of the log.

I probably should have provided better instructions in getting a good log. We need to look at a "clean" version of the log with all the mods in question (EUI + WAW) enabled. So, here is a list of steps to follow:

1. Exit Civ5
2. Restart Civ5 (forces a new version of the logfiles to be generated, so we don't have too look at older data, which may be misleading)
3. In the Mods area, enable both EUI and WAW mods
4. Start a normal game
5. Play 1 turn
6. Exit the game
7. Exit Civ5
8. Go to the Logs folder, and get a copy of the 3 logs in question (Database.log, Lua.log, xml.log)
9. Post the logs here

The website doesn't allow posting files with a .log extension, so all 3 files can be zipped together and posted, or you have to rename each file with a different extension the website will allow (such as .txt).

Hopefully, this will give us at least a little something to review.

Thanks

Hello, thanks for replying and sorry for the late response!
Here are the files in question.

Attachments

• log filesssss.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 133
Thanks for the suggestion, @Klainkompf - I do plan on incorporating the Renaissance Era mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544452801) into an upcoming version. I'm not 100% sure when, but it seems like adding a prehistory mod might be fairly straightforward to do at the same time. I was thinking about this mod, though:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=187671255

It has 10 times the number of subscribers. Was wondering, why would the Dawn of Mankind mod be better? It makes lots of changes to the entire tech tree, as well as many other adjustments that conflict with WAW.

Additionally, I'm concerned by the number of techs already in the mod. Civ5 uses a very crappy formula to calculate tech costs, based on several game settings. The problem is, if there are too many techs, it becomes quite easy (almost impossible to miss, actually) a situation where the cost calculations get so high as to overflow the number internally to the computer, so the game will thing these expensive (late game) techs will only take 1 turn to research. Obviously, this is a bad thing, so...

I'm not opposed to adding a compatibility script for either prehistory mod, but I'm looking for a rationale that would point to one being better than the other?

Additionally, I'm not opposed to creating a new "hybrid" version of a prehistory add-on, one that I can control 100%, so as to make sure compatibility works better. I'm not opposed to collaborating with anyone, but in my experience doing this the passed few years tells me this is a dramatically time-consuming effort that usually craps out before any good results can be achieved.

What do you think?

Hello everyone! I've been vacationing from modding the passed few months, but am back to put a few fixes in several mods. Mostly ankle-biters, but if you have any suggestions about this mod, now is a good time to get those changes in. Thanks!

Hello! Thanks @sman1975 for answer)
I like the Dawn of Mankind because it not only adds new eras, but also introduces logic into the technological chain of Antiquity and the Middle Ages.
But I understand the logic of the technical problems of the game, because for many years I’ve been trying to create the perfect modpack for playing with friends in the hot-seat mode and could not overcome the crash in the mid-game.

I just discovered this as I've recently returned to Civ V largely due to wanting these larger total conversions and modmods. I loaded up all your modules with VP (this one, irregulars, unique units and after the revolution) and so far all is well. I really look forward to playing and providing further feedback, even if only in the form of "Wow that was great".

I'm running with a few extra mods let me know if they are known to cause issues so I don't waste your time.

Whoward's
2 units per fort
3 units per city
Global - 5 city tiles

Wonder Race
Terrain - poor tiles tweak
Really Advanced Setup

Thanks again for the great work.

I know some efforts had been made to make this compatible (but not balanced) with VP, but I never knew that it was integrated into the main mod. Must of missed / forgotten that, but good to know that it's there and still functional nevertheless.

For the models how did you import them into the game? I'm trying to design custom fort improments. I've been following tutorials however they stop at exporting from blender into .gr2 though I need to get them into .fxsxml format.
Any pointers on this?

Is this compatible with Vox Populi 2019-2020 versions?

As constantly repeated in this forum, the mod "works" with VP but is not 100% compatible and definitely not balanced with VP. My earlier collaborators in helping me build the compatibility script trailed off somehow, and work on the script stopped at that point. I'm not opposed to restarting this effort, but as I don't use VP, I'm not in a position to find the things that need changing in this mod and then deciding how much to change.

For the models how did you import them into the game?

I didn't import the models, per se, I built a mod, then added working models into that mod. I have built several "custom" unit models and improvements, but these changes largely consist of recoloring existing models or building new attack animations. Neither of those efforts required diving into the blender/granny/nexus tools. I admire your efforts in trying to do so. Heck, there are probably less than 50 people world-wide who understand these tools well-enough to produce new content.

What's worked best for me in the past is to find something as close as possible to what I wanted to build - and then figure out what changes are required - given my limited abilities. Recoloring an asset is almost trivial, as you're basically working with a graphics tool that can handle .DDS files (I use Gimp2). As long as you "color within the lines" you can completely change the look of an object, making it look new. Recoloring doesn't let you change the "shape" of an object, just its overall appearance. Often this is quite enough.

I admire your moxie if you're attempting to start from scratch, and wish you the best of luck. There might be a few old-timers like Deliverator still on the forums who might help out. I'd create a post in the "Creation and Customization" forum, asking for help. That would be your best chance of getting questions answered by someone who might actually know what they're talking about. Unlike me.... :lol:

I didn't import the models, per se, I built a mod, then added working models into that mod. I have built several "custom" unit models and improvements, but these changes largely consist of recoloring existing models or building new attack animations. Neither of those efforts required diving into the blender/granny/nexus tools. I admire your efforts in trying to do so. Heck, there are probably less than 50 people world-wide who understand these tools well-enough to produce new content.

What's worked best for me in the past is to find something as close as possible to what I wanted to build - and then figure out what changes are required - given my limited abilities. Recoloring an asset is almost trivial, as you're basically working with a graphics tool that can handle .DDS files (I use Gimp2). As long as you "color within the lines" you can completely change the look of an object, making it look new. Recoloring doesn't let you change the "shape" of an object, just its overall appearance. Often this is quite enough.

I admire your moxie if you're attempting to start from scratch, and wish you the best of luck. There might be a few old-timers like Deliverator still on the forums who might help out. I'd create a post in the "Creation and Customization" forum, asking for help. That would be your best chance of getting questions answered by someone who might actually know what they're talking about. Unlike me.... :lol:
I'll give it go. I found a few more modder's "how to" and will try them before contacting the the master modeler's. If all else fails I'll just go with reskinning existing models!

Be careful to check the dates of posts describing "how to" - many of them are outdated based on changes to G&K and BNW. The later the posts, the better.

@Giannoulis97 - I appreciate your offer! This mod (as well as the scenarios for this mod) use a "naming script" to give civ-appropriate names to the units that appear on the map. It gives the mod a more "immersive" quality that hopefully pulls you deeper into the game. And since Civ5 is basically a "toy soldier" gaming experience, these changes make playing the game even more fun.

Currently, the namer script has civ-appropriate names for American, English, Austrian, French, German, Japanese, Roman, Ottoman, Russian, Spanish units. For other civs, they use the American unit names for land and air units, and a large table of names for ships (this table is a sampling of all ship names for the 10 civs mentioned earlier.

The problem is, one player (a history buff) was playing the Greek civ, and one of his ships was called "SS Seddul Bahir" - and since civs usually don't name ships after historical battle wins for major competitors (Turks/Ottomans), this (rightly) "broke" the immersive qualities I'm trying to achieve. So, he offered to provide a large number of historical Greek ship names from Janes, but for me to add Greece to the 10 civs that have specific unit names in the namer script, I need much more than just ship names. As he was an historian and not a Greek speaker, he wasn't able to provide this help - it's why I asked for someone who could.

If you're willing, I would need Greek knowledge about various issues concerning naming of Greek units. We don't have to be 100% accurate in everything, but I would like to find names that will draw the Greek player in deeper and not push them further away. The specific data I need is in red below. The rest of the wall of text is to better explain what and why I'm looking for.

============================================================================================================================================================

First, for the land and air units. Below is a list of the "unit organizations" I'm trying to find a Greek name for. There are 3 entries, plus some comments to better explain what I'm looking for. At the top of the list is an example line of what's listed below:

0. UNIT_ROLE (Civ 5 unit type) = "Unit Name"
---------------------------------------------------------
1. AIRBORNE (Paratrooper) = "Airborne Division"
2. ARMOR (Tank) = "Armor Division"
3. INFANTRY (Infantry) = "Infantry Division"
4. MARINE (Marine) = "Marine Division"
5. ADA (Anti Air Gun) = "Air Defense Regiment"
6. ANTI_TANK (Anti Tank Gun) = "Anti-Tank Regiment"
7. ARTY (Artillery) = "Artillery Regiment"
8. SPEC_FORCES (None) = "Special Forces Regiment" --- A new unit added by WAW, replaces the Paratrooper unit
9. MACH_GUN (Machine Gun) = "Machine Gun Company" --- When machine guns were first introduced to infantry divisions, they were usually assigned to their own unit, and assigned to various infantry regiments who needed them
10. CAV (Cavalry) = "Cavalry Regiment"
11. AVIATION (Helicopter Gunship) = "Aviation Regiment"
12. DRONE (None) = "Drone Squadron" --- This unit is a UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle), like the Predator or Reaper - first appearing in the 90s
13. MEDIC (None) = "Medical Battalion" --- WAW added this civilian unit, that helps faster heal damaged funits nearby
14. FIGHTER (Fighter) = "Fighter Squadron"
15. BOMBER (Bomber) = "Bomber Squadron"
16. RECON (None) = "Recon Squadron" -- Specialized units (Zeppelin, Recon Plane [like the Mosquito], and Recon Jet [like the SR-71]
17. ROBOT (Giant Death Robot) = "Robotics Regiment"

Bottom line:
- I need a Greek equivalent name for each of those 17 unit names (the names in quotation marks), and if there really isn't one (e.g. Robotics Regiment), you can be creative if you like.
- I need good names for military organizations: company, regiment, division, squadron
- How would we "enumerate" unit types: for example, in English we say "1st Infantry Division" and "2nd Infantry Division" etc. How do we use "ordinal numbers" for Greek units? I think "1st" would be "1n" and "2nd" is "2n" ? Keep in mind, I can only use simple Latin letters.
- Actually, the Unit type and Organization together is really what I need (i.e. does the organization come before the unit type or after?)

============================================================================================================================================================

The next thing I would need would be the Greek ship "prefix." For example, an American aircraft carrier is called, "USS Enterprise". The USS stands for "United States Ship". In Britain, they use "HMS Victory" where HMS stands for Her/His Majesty's Ship.

Is there a Greek equivalent? The game uses "SS" for a prefix for civs that don't have civ-appropriate unit names. It stands for "State's Ship" where "State" is a substitute for the country. It's used commonly for non-military ships, so it's about the best I can do for civs that don't have specific ship names. Earlier in development, I didn't use the "SS" prefix, and the ships on the map without them looked silly - like random words all over the map.

France doesn't use prefixes, so often times I've seen when other nations discuss French ships, they add "FS" to the beginning of the name, standing for "French Ship". If there is no Greek equivalent, we could use "GS" or "SS" which ever one would look better to a Greek speaker.

And to further complicate matters, if there is an abbreviation, did it change at any time between 1870 and 2020? For example, Germany uses "SMS" (the German equivalent to England's HMS) before the Nazis took power (La Belle Époque/Industrial Eras and the Great War/Modern Eras. When the Nazis took power, they named the ships starting with "DKM" (WW2/Atomic Eras). After the Nazis were gone, Germany used the "FGS" prefix (Cold War/Information Eras and later).

So, the bottom line:
- Did Greece use prefixes for their ships between 1870 and today? Maybe "BN" for "Royal Hellenic Navy" (Belle Epoque and Great War Eras), and "HN" for "Helennic Navy" in WW2 and later Eras?
- If so, what are those prefixes for each game Era?
- If not, what can we use as a prefix that won't irritate native Greek speakers/Greek historians?

There are 4 basic ship types: melee (destroyers), ranged (battleships), carriers, and submarines. If you have a good source for Greek ship names (beyond Wikipedia), I'd appreciate it. I know there probably aren't a lot of Greek aircraft carrier names, so any suggestions you could give on how to get some names for those, I'd appreciate it.

For submarines, some civs (Germany, Austria, Japan) didn't give a proper name to their subs, only a sequencing number. Germany used "U-1" for it's first U-Boat, getting into the "U-500" 's by the time the war ended. Austria (in the Great War did the same). Japan used "T-000" for its subs.

So, the bottom line:
- Appreciate any links to ship names
- Appreciate any recommendations on hard to name ships like Carriers
- Did Greece use proper names or sequence numbers for its subs?
- If they used sequence numbers, what did the entire prefix look like?

Finally, as with the ship names, I'll need some Great General and Great Admiral names. If you have any references beyond Wiki, please let me know. Getting good names really does make the map look more interesting.

Bottom line:
- Do you have any good links for Generals and Admirals from 1870 and later?

I know it looks like a wall of text, but really it's just about 17 unit names, ship prefixes, and links to good ship, GG , and GA names.

Really appreciate it!

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. These changes to Greek units will apply to the game's normal Greek civ, with Alexander as the leader. If there are any other custom Greek civs you'd like me to add to the script (so they'll get their units properly named), let me know. Here's that extra civs I plan on adding:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2243273955 (Greek Civ)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1220477834

EDIT2: I'm researching GG and GA names, and am seeing some unit names I need from the first part above (land and air units). I found an article on Wiki disussing the 2nd Infantry Division. It says this is the Greek name of that unit (with Latin letters):

II Merarchia Pezikou

So - is this the name of the unit you'd recommend? Also, they don't use an "ordinal suffix" after the number - just the basic number (like the English do with their Air Squadrons). Is this right, or would a better name be this:

IIn Merarchia Pezikou

Which looks more correct to a native Greek speaker?

Does "6th" = "6o"?

Last edited:
@cybernard - below is the screen grab of the map file. It's for the WW2 scenario, so some of the population numbers (yellow numbers with black backgrounds) may be a bit off for the WW1 version of the map. You can't see the citadel since improvements are hidden on this map, but the red x makes the spot for that improvement.

Is the looking more like you thought it should?

upload_2020-10-17_11-4-33.jpeg upload_2020-10-17_13-23-45.jpeg

Above are thumbnail versions. Left-click on the pictures to see the full size.

Also, I'll need a ton of ship names, as discussed in the previous post where it talks about the 4 basic ship types. I need melee (destroyers), ranged (battleships), carrier and sub names. Some admirals and generals would also be nice. Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
cybernard here!!!. It's good to be back at the forum after so many years :)

Good one!! Central Anatolia and the cities look perfect to me. The citadel is also fine. I think that the Ottoman Empire will now have more depth in defence. More importantly, the addition of two crucial cities for the Empire is a nice touch.

Before all else, one crucial info for the city improvements of Greek Cities. Since it has been a long time I don't remember it quite well, but Lemnos should have decent naval improvements (if possible). It is stated that "During the War, the Allied Fleets made extensive use of Greek Harbours and Anchorages. Mudros Bay (Lemnos) became the chief base of the British Eastern Mediterranean Fleet and Allied Squadrons during the War, being netted, mined and patrolled".

Greek Ships:

The ones in capitals are WW2 ships. I suppose you can use them, too.

Aircraft Carriers - I would go for the names of famous battles against non-Greeks. So no Chaeronea or Leuctra; but Marathon, Gaugamela, Plataea, Issus etc. The idea comes from "Salamis".

Battleships - Kilkis (ex-Idaho); Lemnos (ex-Mississippi); Salamis (partially constructed); Georgios Averof (this is actually an Armoured Cruised); Vasiliefs Konstantinos (work halted before the war). I would suggest the names of the Greek Islands or bays for more battleship names. The names of the Ironclads I am listing and Lemnos would be a support for that.

Destroyers - Helle (this is actually a Light Cruiser); Aetos; Ierax; Leon; Panthir; Keravnos; Nea Genea; Nafkratousa; Thyella; Lonchi; Sfendoni; Aspis; Niki; Velos; Doxa; ADRIAS (loaned to the Greek Navy by the Royal Navy during WW2); MIAOULIS (ditto); PINDOS (ditto); KANARIS (ditto); HASTINGS (ditto, and don't be confused by the British name. The ship was named after a retired Royal Navy officer who destroyed an Ottoman Empire squadron in Salona in 1827); THEMISTOKLIS (ditto); KRITI (ditto); AIGAION (ditto); APOSTOLIS (ditto); NAVARINON.

Ironclads - Could be used as destroyer names. Spetsai; Psara.

Submarines - They did not have sequences... My suggestion is, with the help of Greek-speaking friends, going for Greek fish names. Xifias is a swordsfish and Delfin is a dolphin in Greek... Xifias; Delfin; AGONAFITIS (loaned to the Greek Navy by the Royal Navy during WW2); DELFIN (ditto); TRIAINA (ditto); PIPINOS(ditto); AMFITRITI (ditto); XIFIAS (ditto); NIREFS; PROTEFS; TRITON; GLAFKOS; KATSONIS; PAPANIKOLIS.

Generals and Admirals:

Unfortunately, I cannot go beyond Wikipedia, and the ones I learnt from other media has links to the Turkish War of Independence or the Great Schism which makes things controversial.

I am giving some Wikipedia links, just in case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantinos_Damianos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panagiotis_Danglis#Politics,_World_War_I_and_the_National_Schism (!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athanasios_Exadaktylos (!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christos_Hatzipetros

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrios_Ioannou

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandros_Kontoulis (!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitrios_Matthaiopoulos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anastasios_Papoulas (!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonidas_Paraskevopoulos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodoros_Pangalos_(general) (!!!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantinos_Sapountzakis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konstantinos_Smolenskis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaos_Votsis... (!!!) (Admiral)

I hope that these help. Good luck with the additions.

Top Bottom