• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

SMARTGART Off(0) Worked!!!

DKDiveDude

Chieftain
Hi all, just wanting to tell you all that after a week of owning this game, and not having it to work, it now does with my ATI 9800SE card having turned the SMARTGART down to zero(off). I use the latest ATI Catalyst driver, 5.10 I think.

I am playing in 1600x1200, still with graphics set to low though, but played about 50 rounds with no problems.

Next will be to turn all graphics up to high.

Side note: My Compaq Presario 2100, actually until this point worked better than my much more advanced workstation, with the ATI Mobility Radeon IGP 320M, meaning that the game would start without errors, expect for the black map.

Tried this just now.

My problems currently are :
-Intro Video Stutters (only the Firaxis one, the 2K one doesnt, never has)
- Leader faces do not show (other than the mouth, eyes, etc)
- Map background is black.

Setting SMARTGART to Zero somewhat fixed the latter two. Leaders faces now show fine, and the land areas of the map show up now, although the water areas are still black. However, the movie still stutters, and while the above now work they work TEDIOUSLY slowly, stuttering along at about once per second getting some action.

So currently i'm stuck between a game thats inplayable because you cant see anything, or a game thats unplayable because it moves slightly slower than a glacier. Bah :(

For another game I turned AGP back from 0 to 4, and rebooted.

The game still works fine, both in full screen and windowed mode.

I have an ATI 9600 card. Can confirm that the game stopped CTD after turning SMARTGART AGP Speed to Off. Thanks for the tip :goodjob:
And yes! I have Catalyst 5.10 with CCC

ATI Mobility 7500 here on a laptop
P4 1,7 GHZ
512 MB RAM
(Omega Display Drivers)

I went to display properties>advanced>smartgart
Turned AGP speed=OFF
Restarted PC
Now the Black Terrain was gone.

I went to display properties>advanced>smartgart
Turned AGP speed back to 4x
Restarted PC
Black terrain was still gone.
---

But its not yet "playable". The water is wierd & something is slowing things down when scrolling the map. As soon as i scroll away from the visible terrain the game seems to work nice and smooth at normal speed. But as soon as im scrolling the map to the visible terrain, everything slows down a lot.

Oh, really?
Then I will turn AGP back to 4x on my ATI Mobility 7500!
Turning off the AGP makes the game really lag, I can not stand it.

Top Bottom