Snaitf's Demolition Mod

Snaitf

Chieftain
This mod allows you to demolish buildings within your city and demolish your cities altogether. I used TheDarkside's Building Demolition Mod and Arkeide's City Demolition Mod and a starting off point and made a lot of changes/adds. I also removed a few bugs I came across and cleaned the code up a bit.

What it does:

In the city screen you can press CTRL-D to bring up the Building Demolition Window where you can select a building in the city to be demolished. Your city receives 10% of the original production cost applied to what it is currently constructing, and you receive 10% of the initial build gold cost. The production and gold you recieve are listed for each of your buildings before you demolish them. You cannont demolish buildings you have gotten for free (from wonders, for example) or world wonders.

In the city screen you can press CTRL-X to bring up the City Demolition Window where you can choose to demolish the city or not. You receive 10% of the initial build gold cost for each demolishable building in the city. The gold you will receive is listed before you demolish it. There is no restrictions on which of your cities you can demolish.

To play with this mod as a 'permenant' addition, place the .PY file in your CustomAssets\Python directory, or you can use it as it's packaged and place the whole thing in your Mods directory, but you will have to load it each time you play.

Any comments, suggestions, or bugs are fully welcome.

Feel free to use, edit or redistribute as long as it is for a non-profit purpose and you give credit to myself (Snaitf), TheDarkside and Arkeide.

Attachments

• Snaitf's Demolition Mod.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 967
I've played around with your mod for a little bit (enough to destroy 1 city and a few buildings in another) and I have one important question. Does the AI demolish buildings and/or cities? If not, then that's an adavantage that I'd have over the AI which is something I wouldn't like.

what about holy cities? should we be able to destroy holy cities? doesn't that give a real advantage for the religion of your choice, just destroying the other holy cities you own?

Would be nice to be able to abandon city, not just demolish and kill of everyone in it. Like getting some settlers and workers (and maybe some militia) depending on city size.

Well i demolished holy city in one game, i build special attack force, loaded it into galleys and made an ambibuous assault to Spanish capital and Budism holy city Madrid. I razed it with wonders and stuff also. It was 15 size city and had only 3 longbowman in defence. It would be cool if you can loot city and get money for that. Like in Rome total war or it should work like doing with cottages or towns. Pillage gives money and kills population.

Anyway i get -2 relation for destroyng holy city

for a refund, i don't think it is realistic to straightforward refund hammers, simly because demolishing a coal plant shouldn't help you biuld a settler.
refunding gold is also unrealistic, as demoitions cost money, not make you money.
also, because the AI has no idea how to destroy buildings, a refund of gold and production is giving the human player way too much of an advantage over AI.

i think that instead, when a building is demolished, 1/3 of its production cost is given to rebuilding it. so if i kill off a coal plant, but later want to build it again, 1/3 is already complete. this reflects the fact that most of the building material is already there. this is not as powerful or rewarding as a straightforward gold and hammer refund, but is more balanced, and can't be turned into an exploit against AI.

as for city razing, i think it need limits. it cant be the capital, cant be a holy city, and cant be a city larger than size 5. it also should not give any refunds, or spawn any units, because this, again, will turn into an exploit because AI doesn't know how to do the same.

could you possibly implement these changes? it would be much more balanced and fair.

Thanks for all the replies/input/suggestions and the like. I've pretty much stopped working on this one simply because the AI can't use it, so until the SDK, where hopefully we can do a lot more about balancing games, it's pretty much as is, feel free to make any changes you see fit and re-post!

Snaitf said:
Thanks for all the replies/input/suggestions and the like. I've pretty much stopped working on this one simply because the AI can't use it, so until the SDK, where hopefully we can do a lot more about balancing games, it's pretty much as is, feel free to make any changes you see fit and re-post!

Is it possible to get units with py scripting? For example if you raze city?

Snait do you know about any other demolition mods that the AI can actually use? I need it for my realistic-religions mod (to make the new temples-with the new religion's features- replace the old ones)

Can you make this compatible with 1.52? It's pretty cool...don't care about the AI using it, though. THe AI could use it in Civ3, but never did, so why even bother worrying about it? I /really/ want to use it, but it blows up with 1.52.

Thanks!

You could try copying the CustomAssets/python/CvEventManager.py over again - I suspect the game uses only the most recently modified file (the default one was updated in the patch). Firaxis have made quite a few changes in there though, so if you do that some gubbins may not work as 1.52 should.

I've done a quick copy & paste of Snaitf/TheDarkside/Arkeide's modifications, into the patched EventManager file (plus a bit of cleaning up of indentation). It appears to work, at a perfunctory test (new game - abandon city), but use at your own risk. ;)
It only works for new games - not for any in progress, much to my annoyance! :(

Attachments

• CvEventManager.zip
    8.1 KB · Views: 294
Great Mod.

Dont know if anyone uses it anymore or modifies it anymore...

but I have a question...

I discovered that any wonder destroyed in the demolition of a city cannot be rebuilt

Is there any way to fix this?

Thx

Officer Reene said:
I discovered that any wonder destroyed in the demolition of a city cannot be rebuilt

Is there any way to fix this?

Personally I would say it was a feature, not a bug. ;)

This would be all right in singleplayer, because the AI doesnt want to raze thier own cities if they could use this, as a human might. theyre just programmed that way.

Does this work in MP with the 1.61 Patch?

I know it doesnt work in MP in the 1.52 Patch :sad:

No, the mod call some functions that have been modified in BTS. Can you make a BTS version Snaif ?

Top Bottom