snow...sucks...

danaphanous

religious fanatic
So I was playing ice age map with Venice, thinking I'd like the challenge and the change. I did. :) I Rolled a decent start in the tundra with some bonus resources that would keep food positive for a while. I was assuming my snowy hills could all be mined for 3 production like every other (about 1/3 of my hexes were snow). Just realized that no, for absolutely no reason that I can see, the creators made snowy hills produce...nothing. A mine is worth 1 production...abysmal. Might as well keep the citizen unemployed for the same effect. I don't even want to put GP tiles on them because they are so worthless...

I am sorely disappointed and my capital is not nearly as good as I thought now. I thought I was lucky when most of the snow terrain was hills, but apparently the hills are as worthless as the flat terrain. Can someone explain to me why snowy hills have a different yield in the game from any other hill? makes no sense...you can still have production if things are covered in snow...

Every hill: desert, plains, grassland, and tundra all are the same...2 production. snowy hills are apparently worse then flat desert...at least with those you can get Petra...

snow...sucks...

Oh man! Are you even going to play this one to the end? I'd be tempted to out of sheer stubbornness. It sounds like one of those end-of-turn mashing marathons.

You seriously need alpine troops. :)

I probably will if I don't get bored with Venice. Tundra starts are supposed to be challenging and this one is pretty good. Plus 2 CS within easy food ship range. Actually it was better than I remembered. I started with 6-7 snow tiles in the top hexes, 5 of which were hills. I was happy because I thought this meant I could get 3 production out of all the hills but I was wrong.

But anyway. Having 4 deer and 3 salt helped immensely. I also grabbed the +1 food per camp Pantheon, which, ironically, only offset the penalty of 3 of the deer sitting on flat tundra. And on my river! I have an awful lot of ocean and snow though (about 1/2 of hexes) and only 1 useful resource between them so even though it has grown really, really well in the beginning I'm expecting it to flag at a lower potential then normal terrain. And all the flat tundra only have a base of 1 food so everything is a bit worse on food then it could've been. I'm surprised I've grown so fast. Thanks to food trade ships I suppose and tradition.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Anyway, it was a fun challenge.

To make up for the tundra base nerf, I rushed out all the trade ships I could and went straight for all the techs for trade routes on my way to markets. Got a MoV under turn 50. Unfortunately missed the colossus by about 5 turns (that hurt) I used the extra gold to buy about 10 3rd ring border tiles so Venice would start grabbing some 4th-ring luxes before Brazil settled and stole them. So far I've forced it to grab a 4th ring extra salt and it is now choosing the other 4th ring salt and gold. This start is all tundra and snow base terrain though. Only one plain to the far, far right 3rd ring lol. Under forest. It sure hurt to dump almost 800 gold on buying worthless ice though. haha! ;) I maybe should've held off on the buying but I'm running out of things to spend gold on...I keep ending up with over 500 every few turns with nothing to do...stockpile maybe... :\

I've already started, better than nothing, but GP tiles on null terrain are pretty bad for food. I may have to bring in like 4-5 food routes late game to keep it growing decently. Usually that would give you a 50+ pop venice, but in my case probably just make up for being in tundra/snow.

It's ironic. Venice's third border is the exact edge of the tundra. There is grassland just below the entire southern border. :p

Top Bottom