[GS] So here we are...

orasis

Prince
We're into the third expansion and my question is ... what do you miss from previous iterations of the series?

I miss the updated garb/clothing from Civ III. I loved how you could just look at someone and realize how far, or how behind you were compared to them. 3 games later and they have never brought it back. For me, it breaks the immersion even though it's based in fantasy. Prehistoric era and Roosevelt has a suit.... yeah.

Civ3 was the only civ I havent played, so I could not tell.
But if you mean the clothes of the units advance with your eras, the units themselves advance with the eras and let you see how far somebody is. Isnt that what you mean? Seems like a waste of resources to make modern era clothes for warriors for example if I understood you right

Civ3 was the only civ I havent played, so I could not tell.
But if you mean the clothes of the units advance with your eras, the units themselves advance with the eras and let you see how far somebody is. Isnt that what you mean? Seems like a waste of resources to make modern era clothes for warriors for example if I understood you right

No, it was the leader portraits. Everyone would dress according to their civilization's tech level. It was quite a fun way to instantly tell how far ahead/behind you were.

No, it was the leader portraits. Everyone would dress according to their civilization's tech level. It was quite a fun way to instantly tell how far ahead/behind you were.
But with animations they way they are now, I can't imagine the time they'd have to spend on that.

I liked the concept but must of the actual results were quite cheesy.

I would not like to be the manager who told firaxis' art team this was a feature we were bringing back... But I miss this too
NOSTRADAMUS FORETELLS FUTURE: TROUBLE AHEAD!

Actually, you don't need Nostradamus to foretell that :)

But I will never stop missing the newspaper and its headlines from Civ 1. Bring it back to replace that wall of gossip text! Something like "The News of the Times", delivering news and rumours, dishing out praise and slander throughout the ages, whatever the format - stone slab, broadsheet or ephemeral tweet!

But with animations they way they are now, I can't imagine the time they'd have to spend on that.

I dont think it's that much of a difference. This isnt the times were animated cartoons were painted frame by frame. They only need to model the 3D clothes and the program will incorporate the different clothes into the animation

Undersea tunnels.
Enemy planes that fight.
Longbowmen
Finding culture in a goody hut
Transport ships.
But most importantly I miss a decent game manual.

BTW, just because I miss something does not mean I want it back.

Throne room/Palace, most definitely. Basically, everything that made your civilization, well, yours.

We're into the third expansion and my question is ... what do you miss from previous iterations of the series?

I miss the updated garb/clothing from Civ III. I loved how you could just look at someone and realize how far, or how behind you were compared to them. 3 games later and they have never brought it back. For me, it breaks the immersion even though it's based in fantasy. Prehistoric era and Roosevelt has a suit.... yeah.

Slightly off topic but which leader would be the most interesting if they did vary with time?
Modern Gilgabro in a crossfit outfit?
Emo Kristina? For some reason I'm envisioning a pink fauxhawk
Gorgo in a pantsuit?
Ancient Wilfrid in a caveman outfit? Oh god now I can't unsee that.

Slightly off topic but which leader would be the most interesting if they did vary with time?
Modern Gilgabro in a crossfit outfit?
Emo Kristina? For some reason I'm envisioning a pink fauxhawk
Gorgo in a pantsuit?
Ancient Wilfrid in a caveman outfit? Oh god now I can't unsee that.
Shaka cosplaying Doomfist in Future era.

My answer to this question has been the same for the better part of a decade now.

UI that at least meets the standards of "average/mediocre".

If there is a third expansion, I would like to see a return of corporations. Or at least some systematic benefit for controlling a significant market share of any given resource.

I would also like to see an ability for players to found semi-autonomous colonies as... city-states. The founder would start off as the suzerain. It would probably require creating a new class of city-states that give a variety of bonuses. This would be a good ability for Portugal to riff on.

It would also be nice to see a version of the disease mechanic from the Black Plague scenario.

Throne room/Palace, most definitely. Basically, everything that made your civilization, well, yours.
Oh my lord I had totally forgotten about the throne room! I guess I miss that too.

Also I miss railroads that had purpose.

I dont think it's that much of a difference. This isnt the times were animated cartoons were painted frame by frame. They only need to model the 3D clothes and the program will incorporate the different clothes into the animation

It wouldn't be the animations, but more in the design. With 8/9 eras, you would either have to go with a generic set of outfits for the eras, which I think would detract from the uniqueness of each leader as they are now. There is a lot of character in what each leader wears.

Or, you would have to make a unique set for each leader. And while this would definitely be an amazing thing, would certainly eat a lot more budget and time to do.

And now for some reason I am missing the Elvis advisor (the most glorious and what-the-hell thing in the series)

I would not like to be the manager who told firaxis' art team this was a feature we were bringing back... But I miss this too

I know the art director for Firaxis. Some of her most prized work on this series are the undiscovered map artwork, hairless dad-bod's, and (drumroll) leader wardrobes. I got a look at Eleanor's many proposed wardrobe ideas in my facebook feed literally seconds after the NDA lifted. Pretty sure she'd love it!

That said: I want orbital and subaqueous cities. I want to rain hellfire on my enemies from said orbital cities. I want to move a unit across a mag-lev from one side of the map to the other with no movement cost. In short, I want call to power built in this engine. :D

Top Bottom