• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

So I built the Great Wall

Khift

Prince
But Montezuma still got into my territory.

What gives?

It only serves to hold out barbarians. It doesn't prevent AI Civs entering. You can still invade another civ should they hapen to have built it.

But... it's Montezuma.

What's your point? Montezume is probably the best AI civ to war against, step up your game and defeat him if you don't want him in your land.

I would think it'd keep out barbarians and Mongolia. :mischief:

The reasons the Mongols didn't invade China had nothing to do with the Great Wall. Drill IV Cho-Ko-Nu will make you very sad that your Keshiks aren't immune to first strikes...

The reasons the Mongols didn't invade China had nothing to do with the Great Wall. Drill IV Cho-Ko-Nu will make you very sad that your Keshiks aren't immune to first strikes...

As far as I know the great wall was not designed to hold off invasions but rather to stop escaping groups of pillaging bandits. It was also a communication line system, like early telegraph routes.

As far as I know the great wall was not designed to hold off invasions but rather to stop escaping groups of pillaging bandits. It was also a communication line system, like early telegraph routes.

It was definitely built to stop invasions from the north, keeping bandits from escaping would have been an afterthought.

It was definitely built to stop invasions from the north, keeping bandits from escaping would have been an afterthought.

They knew the wall wouldn't be able to stop an army coming in, but it would be able to help to surround an allready infiltrated, but retreating army (nomads like the mongols often just fell in, looted and went home to the endless steppe).

TBH, China should have better spent those hammers on pikeman.

Now in haiku form!

I built the Great Wall,
But the Aztecs still got in.
Civilization.

I remember once seeing a History Channel presentation on the Vikings, and recall hearing something about Harold (Forget his last name, other than that it's something I can't spell) bid to gain the throne of England right before William made his bid, and gathered the "huge" army of about 3,000 men.

Now I picture the Vikings attacking the Chinese and simply being laughed at as they come up to some city........

In all seriousness, it totally pisses me off when I build GW and barbs still sail their crappy little galleys in and pillage my fish.

The flanking II promotion gives first strike immunity, regardless of whether a unit has it, and most keshiks attacking in that scenario would have it...

Keshiks uses super horses. Historical fact. They could easily leap the great wall, hills, and even trees. They can jump over city walls, castles, and even modern buildings too, but it takes more horses.

Top Bottom