So I finally looked up how to pronounce "trireme"

InFlux5

King
I always just assumed it was "trih-ruh-mee" but finally decided to look it up. Holy $#!^ I was wrong.

It sounds so weird to me, having had it in my mind wrong for so long....

I always pronounced like: "tree-ream"

tri in french is similar to ''tree''.

I always pronounced like: "tree-ream"

tri in french is similar to ''tree''.

The "tri" is the prefix for three (as in triangle or tricycle) because it has three rows of oars. It is an awkward work to pronounce as, for me at least, it doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

The "tri" is the prefix for three (as in triangle or tricycle) because it has three rows of oars. It is an awkward work to pronounce as, for me at least, it doesn't roll off the tongue very well.

Yeah the ''y'' letter is pronounced a lot different. ''i'' and ''y'' have same pronounciation in french.

I usually pronounced it try reem and never gave this much thought. No one really pronounces that here.

This topic has probably quintupled the amount of time I've spent thinking about the word "Trireme" in my entire life...

How do you pronounce "quinquereme"?

Isn't it actually pronounce as "tri-reme" in Latin? Both "e" on 'reme' pronounce like "e" in 'Red'

How do you pronounce "quinquereme"?

Afaik, in Latin, all letters pronouncing the way you write, same with Turkish so, pronouncing Latin words is really easy for us :D

Anyway, it's pronounce as Queen-que-reme. Again, "e" in both que and reme pronounce like "e" in 'Red'

Btw, I might be wrong, if there is any Latin speakers, please correct me :)

When I was a little kid. Me and my brother found this word in Age of Empire I, and we call it "Treem"
When I little more grown up, I found this word again in Civ5. I read civilopedia and found that it got it name because it have 3- something. As I already famillar with the root word "tri-". I then call it "Tri-reem" and I then move on...

Afaik, in Latin, all letters pronouncing the way you write, same with Turkish so, pronouncing Latin words is really easy for us :D

Anyway, it's pronounce as Queen-que-reme. Again, "e" in both que and reme pronounce like "e" in 'Red'

Btw, I might be wrong, if there is any Latin speakers, please correct me :)

As a french speaker, my question was adressed to english speakers :) But yes, it's also easy for us, we usually pronouce all the letters, exept the final one in most of the cases. So trireme = treerame, quinquereme = kain-kairame? :crazyeye:

Top Bottom