So I Played Civ 5 For The First Time in 7 months...

EDre

Chieftain
My birthday is coming up and I just got a MacBook Air to replace my old HP that died around 4-6 Months ago. So I downloaded Steam and downloaded Civ 5 (I had it on the old computer). It doesn't have the mods or saved games, ill miss those games, but it looked more smooth and nice and had a higher frame rate. Now I wondering, my birthday is coming up and do you think I should get Civ 6 or should I wait. I had fun playing one of my all time favorite games again, Civ 5, and now im not sure about Civ 6.

Sadly I could not get Civ 3 and 4 back because I didn't have them on Steam. My old computer is not completely dead because it still sorta runs. So I might still be able to play Civ 3 and 4 occasionally.

If you still have the original CDs from Civ 4, you should be able to install it on your new Macbook, but you'll have to first set up a windows emulator if it's the Windows CDs you have.
(You also would need to following installation download the last Civ IV patch)

In the case of Civ 3, you'd have had problems either you had bought a Windows machine; Windows 10 disabled an OS component that was frequently used C. 2000 for CD checks. (So to run this from the Macbook you need something emulating Windows 7 or 8 instead of Windows 10)

There may be more info on this in the Civ III and Civ IV forums.

Firaxis support helped me get Civ 4 onto steam last month. I followed this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/firaxis-free-steam-download-ending.614849/ though the end date has passed, they seem nice enough as long as you give them a legit photo of the cds under your possession. You can get Civ IV for like $8 too https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_civilization_iv_the_complete_edition

And yes, V's performance is very good now. Granted, I first encountered it on a crappy computer that could barely run it, and have a new computer now that runs it very well. It must be the dx 11 option that came out. Any computer within the last few years should handle it great.

I would not recommend VI atm, unless you get a good discount. It is rough around the edges and could use more development. Personally, I got it for $28 on greenmangaming (browse slick for deals) and thought that was worth a look. I would not pay full retail for it. This is to not exclude that Steam will probably have another sale soon anyways.

VI does have some higher system requirements as well. Not that high, but not trivial either. You'll have to find your computer's specs to make sure you can run it well.

Minimum

• Processor: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Hard drive: 12 GB or more
  • DVD-Rom: Required for disc-based installation
  • Video card: 1 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 5570 or Nvidia 450)
Recommended
  • Processor: Fourth generation Intel Core i5 2.5 Ghz or AMD FX8350 4.0 Ghz or greater
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Hard drive: 12 GB or more
  • DVD-Rom: Required for disc-based installation
  • Video card: 2 GB DirectX 11 Video Card (AMD 7970 or Nvidia 770 or greater)

So it looks like an i5 processor (honestly, generation isn't a big deal after the 1st) but a fairly strong graphics card (???) for recommended.

Last edited:
If you still have the original CDs from Civ 4, you should be able to install it on your new Macbook, but you'll have to first set up a windows emulator if it's the Windows CDs you have.
(You also would need to following installation download the last Civ IV patch)

In the case of Civ 3, you'd have had problems either you had bought a Windows machine; Windows 10 disabled an OS component that was frequently used C. 2000 for CD checks. (So to run this from the Macbook you need something emulating Windows 7 or 8 instead of Windows 10)

There may be more info on this in the Civ III and Civ IV forums.

Ok. Well my CIv 4 and Civ 3 CDs are one as it is the complete edition

Top Bottom