Social Promotion?

covok48

Emperor
I bought the original Colonization off GOG and played it a bit. I also re-installed this Civ4: Col and gave it a shot.

One quick question: Is there any social promotion in this new version?

In the old version if your pretty criminal/ ind. serv. / free colonist won in combat eventually it would promote to the next level.

Likewise if your free colonist worked a cash crop specialty (cotton for example) with enough time it may turn expert.

I played one game and didn't see it at all and didn't know if it had been implmented or not.

Actually, I don't remember anymore how this was handled in the original Civ4:Col.

In some mods (TAC - final version, fully documented) or RaR (based on TAC, but still being under development and unfortunately, is lacking some important documentation at the moment - and not available for download at the moment) there are ways to promote your Criminals or Servants.
TAC (and therefore, RaR too) comes with the concept of "learning by doing", meaning that normal colonists can become experts after some time having worked in the respective profession.

Actually, I don't remember anymore how this was handled in the original Civ4:Col.

When I programmed "Learning by Doing" I tried to implement it very similar to the way it worked in Original Colonization.
(It is one of the many great features totally forgotten in Civ4:Col Vanilla, which we finally brought back.)

Top Bottom