• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Soldier of Killmorph

Immaculate

unerring
How does this unit's rushing ability work?

You get 45 hammers for sacrificing him (at standard speed) correct?
What if i am sacrificing him in a city with a forge? What if i am sacrificing him to build a granary and i am expansive (or a mage guild if i am arcanist)?

Do people normally use this unit for their sacrifice ability? Under what conditions do you build these hard-talking units?

PS: i love the voice.

Altar rushing is an obvious one - plus Kilmorph helps you afford the upkeep. Not sure offhand if they'll benefit from the trait synergies - I believe so since they're applied as a reduction in cost rather than increased production (although that's what's displayed) but I'm not sure - it'd be a 5 minute job in WB to check though.

Personally, I always use Soldiers of Kilmorph to "shuttle" production between cities. That is, if I have a city that has really high production, and another city that has almost no production, I'll dedicate the high production city to building Soldiers, and then send them to the low production city to help it build things it needs built.

Or, if I am building a Wonder and really, really need it fast, I'll set every city I can spare that has decent production to building Soldiers so that they can help build the Wonder.

Soldiers cost more hammers than they provide, so it's a net loss, but it effectively allows you to "build hammers".

And no, I don't think I ever use them for fighting... ^^;

Actually I completely replace warriors with the Soliders as soon as I am able to build them (which is generally early since I love the religion). Later when I can build better city defenders I will send them out and keep the solider handy for some rush hammers at a later point, but typically by then I have some promotions and am hesitant to sacrifice them.

I always hated how sacrificing a freshly built warrior or an experienced one for production was identical; I think I'll replace its normal rush mechanic with a spell that sacrifices the unit and gives production based on level or xp.

As the Clan, I love these guys. Wardens give you two for the price of one, and you get all the hammers for both. You can hurry even big projects with only a few cities cranking them out.

Wardens? I assume you mean warrens.

This sounds like an exploit, so I think I'll make it impossible in my modmod. I think I'll make warrens not work on any unit with a religion prereq (in addition to making the amount of production they give depend on level/xp)

Edit: I also intend to take away the alignment prereq from druids, but make them require a minimum level and need to upgrade from rangers or FoL disciples.

Unless I missed a very recent patch change the Soldiers of Kilmorph are no longer as useful hurrying production as they used to be.

In the last game I had ROK, the Soldiers were obsoleted when you researched Fanaticism. This allowed you to build Paramanders, which could NOT hurry production, instead of the Soldiers.

I used to use them, as mentioned, for hurrying the production of that Final Altar, but now that is no longer possible as you need Fanaticism to get one of the earlier Altars.

So, if i have a forge, do i get more production out of a sacrificed soldier?
Having forges at both cities (and civics that boost unit production) should help increase the hammer efficiency right?

I.

So, if i have a forge, do i get more production out of a sacrificed soldier?
Having forges at both cities (and civics that boost unit production) should help increase the hammer efficiency right?

I.

I can't say for sure, but I would think that the Forge only gives a 25% boost in hammers to those generated by the city itself, while the Soldier of Kilmorph (or slave, for that matter, if used to hurry production) only gives a fixed boost of hammers.

I think the Forges being buildings doesn't affect sacrificing Soldiers.

Of course, in early game, Soldiers might give you a boost of several turns towards hurrying production, however, in later game in a large city it might take several Soldiers to hurry production one turn.

Again, if you research Fanaticism before the tech that lets you get a Forge, you wouldn't have the benefit of building Soldiers to hurry production.

Some time back I recommended the Soldiers NOT be obsoleted, but I don't know if that happened with the latest patch.

Wardens? I assume you mean warrens.

This sounds like an exploit, so I think I'll make it impossible in my modmod. I think I'll make warrens not work on any unit with a religion prereq (in addition to making the amount of production they give depend on level/xp)

Yeah, I meant warrens. I am not so sure this is an exploit, though, as it seems the Clan is meant to be RoK. How else can they cover the cost of so many units or have access to those cool lizzie druids?

(Actually, I admit it is an exploit, and there is no RP reason to go that way, even though it makes great strategic sense. Giving the Clan a UB that gives extra unit maintenance and always having access to the druids instead of Edelions {spelling?} would be a better fix, IMHO.)

I always hated how sacrificing a freshly built warrior or an experienced one for production was identical; I think I'll replace its normal rush mechanic with a spell that sacrifices the unit and gives production based on level or xp.

i was just about to bring this up when i saw this. i have to agree, i built a bunch of SoK's for a war with devillo(spelling) with the intent of hurrying production with the survivors. i now have about 2 dozen level 4 and up SoK's that i can't bring myself to sacrifice for production since the extra levels get me nothing.
similiar, though likely less frequent, would be the AV guys who boost science. though how often do they have a lot of levels, you could also say the same for the culture boost any of them provide.

I love them. I use them to rush anything important. If you have e.g. 5 cities, you can have 4 cities training these buggers, promoting them with Mobility, move them to the 4th city and construct anything you want!

EDIT: Yeah using the clan to make these sound like an exploit to me.

The Warrens are just awesome. Seriously, they already are a MULTIPLICATIVE doubling of your resources, it doesn't seem that much more ridiculous that they double soldiers of kilmorph.

The thing the clan does that is, however, freaking broken, is getting wolf riders on turn 10. But that's another thread :).

Top Bottom