Some BNW questions

manu-fan

Emperor
Hi,

I've finally figured out how to do well on Prince in BNW and am getting further into the game. Therefore, I have some questions.

1. Is the only was to get Artist, Writer and Musician points by building the appropriate Guild? Is there any other way?

2. What's the difference between a Puppet and an Annex w/ Courthouse now/

They both increase science cost by the same amount? They both increase policy cost by the same amount? I know you pay 4gpt for the Courthouse, but having the flexibility to building whatever you want, and plonk down a Pagoda, seems very appealing.

3. For an internal trade route, does it only move food or production around, or does it actually increase food or production in either city?

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more later.

Cheers.

1) You can also get free Great Artists/Writers/Musicians from some Wonders and Social Policies.

2) Puppets create less unhappiness than annexed cities that don't have Courthouses.

3) Internal Trade Routes generate the food and production, not move it around.

2) Something major about puppets.. Yes, they create less unhappiness than occupied cities. But occupied cities even with courthouse count as a NORMAL city, which increase certain thresholds, such as Policy and Great People threshold (I think?), but most importantly Policy ones.

1. Is the only was to get Artist, Writer and Musician points by building the appropriate Guild? Is there any other way?

3. For an internal trade route, does it only move food or production around, or does it actually increase food or production in either city?

1) I think some of the Wonders generate points. Some wonders will automatically make an Artist or Musician appear. As a big fan of Patronage I'd be remiss if I didn't mention City States can give you Great People. You can of course buy them with Faith as well.

3) Supposedly it is new food/production. So if I move either from one city to another, neither city gains or loses anything they generate themselves, miracuously new food/production appears and the caravan or cargo ship picks it up along the way.

If you want to rationalize it more, you trade 'resources' for food or produciton, instead of doing so with a Major Civ or a City State you swap some sort of local 'surplus' with different cities/provinces in your empire.

Thanks for the answers. Yeah, I forgot that the policy cost increase wasn't there in a puppet, because BNW made the science increase apply to both.

I have another question.

How do you plunder a trade route? I was at war with someone, but when I moved a unit onto his caravan, nothing happened.

Cheers.

Thanks for the answers.

I have another question.

How do you plunder a trade route? I was at war with someone, but when I moved a unit onto his caravan, nothing happened.

Cheers.

You can't "attack" a trade route like you could a military unit. You must position your unit on the enemy trade route and then use the special "Pillage Trade Route" ability.

BTW: I did a test and annexed a few of my puppets. Policy cost didn't raise very much, and once I plonked a Pagoda, and once I get other buildings up and running, it will be very negligible. I'm starting to like the idea of initial puppeting and annexing later. I know almost have my whole continent covered in my cities, just about to take out Catherine (the only Civ left with 3 cities on my Continent) and then start my overseas invasions.

Cheers.

BTW: I did a test and annexed a few of my puppets. Policy cost didn't raise very much, and once I plonked a Pagoda, and once I get other buildings up and running, it will be very negligible. I'm starting to like the idea of initial puppeting and annexing later. I know almost have my whole continent covered in my cities, just about to take out Catherine (the only Civ left with 3 cities on my Continent) and then start my overseas invasions.

Cheers.

Looks like you're ready to move up the difficulty ladder ! Puppeting then annexing is a classic, gives you the time to "digest" the beast before swallowing it !

Another question.

I'm about to unlock Factories, and I'll get 3 of them up really quickly. I get to choose an Ideology, right? Which one would you recommend for a Warmonger who's about to invade the other continent?

Continents/Huge/Epic/Prince

Cheers.

1) I think some of the Wonders generate points. Some wonders will automatically make an Artist or Musician appear. As a big fan of Patronage I'd be remiss if I didn't mention City States can give you Great People. You can of course buy them with Faith as well.

None of the World Wonders or National Wonders provide GWAM points, but the three Guilds do provide them (1 GW point for Writers Guild, 2 GA points for Artists Guild and 3 GM points for Musicians Guild).

Louvre and Uffizi provide a Great Artist, Broadway provides a Great Musician, Globe Theater provides a Great Writer and Leaning Tower still allows you to pick any Great Person, including a GWAM.

And, as you note, the Patronage closer now gives you Great Person gifts from CS allies (the former Cultural Elite policy).

Another question.

I'm about to unlock Factories, and I'll get 3 of them up really quickly. I get to choose an Ideology, right? Which one would you recommend for a Warmonger who's about to invade the other continent?

Continents/Huge/Epic/Prince

Cheers.

Autocracy? Consider taking as your first two Level 1 tenets Fortified Borders (+1 happy from castles, armories and military bases) and Mobilization (33% reduction in gold costs of units). Or, if you are behind on tech, maybe Industrial Espionage (spies steal technologies at twice the normal rate).

Autocracy? Consider taking as your first two Level 1 tenets Fortified Borders (+1 happy from castles, armories and military bases) and Mobilization (33% reduction in gold costs of units). Or, if you are behind on tech, maybe Industrial Espionage (spies steal technologies at twice the normal rate).

OK thanks.

Isn't it +1 happiness from Barracks, Armories, and Military Academies?

I don't have to worry about Tech, I'm ahead of everyone. My score is about 3 times that of any of them on the other Continent, and I'm #1 in all demographics except Population, in which I'm #2.

Cheers.

OK thanks.

Isn't it +1 happiness from Barracks, Armories, and Military Academies?

I don't have to worry about Tech, I'm ahead of everyone. My score is about 3 times that of any of them on the other Continent, and I'm #1 in all demographics except Population, in which I'm #2.

Cheers.

Ouch, my bad. I just checked the What we know about BNW thread. It's +2 from each defensive building in Tier 1. I must admit that I never build defensive buildings so I'll probably pick something else.

Cheers.

BTW for anyone interested. I went with Order, and picked the happiness from Monuments, and happiness from Workshop tenets. Just Wow!

Cheers.

One more question, if I may.

How do I find out which of my cities have Trade Routes? I need to figure out whether a Caravansy will be worth it, but can't figure out (other than my cap that I know I have trade routes out of) which other cities I started trade routes out of.

Cheers.

Click on the trade route icon on the upper portion of the game screen. It will have 3 screens, your trade routes, avaible trade routes and the other one which the name escapes me.

Top Bottom