Some help with nuke mechanics?

FilthyRobot

Chieftain
Hey guys, I'm struggling a bit with understanding the rules governing nuclear weapon damage. Would someone with a bit more knowledge in this domain be willing to help?

There's a lot of questions here ;p

Atomic Bombs
  • Do the pillage everything in the 2 tile radius?
  • Is the damage uniform, so that 2 tiles from the center takes the same damage as the center?
  • What's the possible damage spread vs units?
  • The dmg seems to be % based vs cities, what's the % done?
  • Do garrisoned units take damage?
  • What about aircraft?
  • What percentage of the city population is lost?

Nuclear Missiles
  • Is the damage uniform, so that 2 tiles from the center takes the same damage as the center?
  • What about aircraft?
  • 2 nuclear missiles insta-raze a non-capital city without a bomb shelter, how closely spaced in time do these missiles have to be? Can I nuke once, then 10 turns later nuke once and still insta-raze the city?
  • Does population matter for the insta-raze feature?

Bomb Shelters
  • The tooltip says they provide -75% population loss from nuclear weapons, they also protect a non-capital city from being insta-razed by 2 nuclear missiles.
  • Do they do anything else?

I just (today, most recent patch) had a non-capital city with a bomb shelter get hit with 3 nuclear missiles. I had 8 stealths and 2 nuke missiles in that city. The stealths were all left with 20-25% (it differed for each bomber) and my nuclear missiles were destroyed.

Why were the missiles destroyed but the bombers not destroyed?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I remember the game rolls a die for each unit and building. There is a 50/50 chance for the unit to be eliminated, if not it is seriously damaged, along with Fallout. Just like in real world, everyone should fear nukes. They devastate everything. Atomic bombs are the center hex and one tile out..nuke missiles are the same but 2 tiles out.

Atomic Bombs
  • What about aircraft?

Nuclear Missiles
  • What about aircraft?
  • 2 nuclear missiles insta-raze a non-capital city without a bomb shelter, how closely spaced in time do these missiles have to be? Can I nuke once, then 10 turns later nuke once and still insta-raze the city?
  • Does population matter for the insta-raze feature?

Bomb Shelters
  • The tooltip says they provide -75% population loss from nuclear weapons, they also protect a non-capital city from being insta-razed by 2 nuclear missiles.
  • Do they do anything else?

Why were the missiles destroyed but the bombers not destroyed?

Atomic Bombs
  • Die roll
  • No
  • Destroyed in center tile and damaged two tiles out
  • Hitpoints 50%
  • If the bomb falls on them, they're destroyed
  • See above
  • I think 50%?

Nuclear Missiles
  • Die roll
  • All units are destroyed
  • See above
  • Hitpoints 50%
  • Destroyed
  • Destroyed
  • I think 75%?
  • It razes cities with a population of 6 or less, regardless of how many missile you throw at it
  • Anything over 6 won't be razed

Bomb Shelters
  • Yes, although I'm not sure about the anti-raze part
  • No

Missiles don't have hitpoints, so they were destroyed, but the bunker reduces damage by 75%, so while the bombers should of been destroyed, they survived with ~25%

Awesome answer, thanks.

I'm 100% sure about the bomb-shelters stopping the insta-raze since I just got tripled nuclear missiled ;p

I haven't gotten into a nuclear war in Civ 5 yet. Well except for nuking people the turn before I win.

Do you get global warming and raised sea levels if you do it enough? It would be a shame if it didn't.

I haven't gotten into a nuclear war in Civ 5 yet. Well except for nuking people the turn before I win.

Do you get global warming and raised sea levels if you do it enough? It would be a shame if it didn't.

No global warming :mischief:

Nuke as much as you'd like :D

Can you intercept the atomic bomb with fighters and/or anti-aircraft guns?

I'd like to know this too. And is there any defense for nuclear missiles? In Civ IV you had SDI or whatever...

I too have yet to get into a nuclear war in Civ V. I guess my games end to early...

Can you intercept the atomic bomb with fighters and/or anti-aircraft guns?

I'd like to know this too. And is there any defense for nuclear missiles? In Civ IV you had SDI or whatever...

I too have yet to get into a nuclear war in Civ V. I guess my games end to early...

There is no defense against atomic bombs or nuclear missiles, except destroying them before they can be used.

Yeah, nukes can't be intercepted. If they're activated they do their damage. I've gotten to nukes quite frequently... the first time I got them I immediately used one on an opponent to watch it. Since then I've been kind of reticent to use them (but still like to have them) because of fallout (both physical and diplomatic); however, a Civ that really annoys the crap out of me finds out how quickly I'll dump my arsenal of nukes on their overgrown barbarian camps. I tend to beeline nukes and start churning them out now whilst trying to pass a nuclear non-proliferation agreement so no one else gets any. :evil:

Top Bottom