Some of you don't want Civ V

I want the game, but I really didnt want steam.

I will still buy it, maybe unless some other way of playing it without steam arises, because I really would like to not be forced into using it.

I think it's ridiculous you get a whole extra Civ by ordering the digital deluxe online with Steam. :undecide:

I think it's ridiculous you get a whole extra Civ by ordering the digital deluxe online with Steam. :undecide:

SERIOUSLY!!!!??????

You need to order the Digital Deluxe from steam to get a ... BONUS CIV?????????

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ALL CIVS SHOULD BE INCLUDED WITH THE GAME, NO FREAKING INGAME BONUSES FROM STEAM DIGITAL DELUXES.

>MAD BERZERK RAGE RIOT<

Although it may appear I am in the "don't want" camp based on my (sporadic) posts in this forum, the reality is that I'm in the "want to try the demo first" camp, based on what I know at this point. The changes are significant, and while that could result in a significantly better and, perhaps more importantly, fresher, game, it also could take away a good amount of the charm. If it results in a new, very engaging experience, a well-made demo would at least hint at that. But with such significant changes, it's hard to know whether you'll really enjoy your changes unless they happen to align with everything you've ever dreamed of in a Civ-style game.

SERIOUSLY!!!!??????

You need to order the Digital Deluxe from steam to get a ... BONUS CIV?????????

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

ALL CIVS SHOULD BE INCLUDED WITH THE GAME, NO FREAKING INGAME BONUSES FROM STEAM DIGITAL DELUXES.

>MAD BERZERK RAGE RIOT<

I think i'll quote that very often later on :goodjob:.

(i know, that wasn't meant serious)

The difficulty in makine a sequel, is that you want to change enough to warrant it - and not just pull a FIFA, re-selling nearly the same game each iteration - but you do not want to "lose yourself" - you're buying "Civilization something" here, not another franchise.

Keeping the core game, but innovating on it. That's the hard part.
One very interesting thing in the Civ serie is precisely that they managed to always change things, but "stay Civ".
I started with Civ I, right from the nineties.

Funny thing, Civ3 is in my mind the "less polished" of the serie, the most flawed... but at the same time, it's the most immersive and the one I spent the most time on.
Civ IV, on the contrary, I consider it to be "objectively the best"... but it still can't grasp me by the guts as easily as Civ3 could.

Funny thing, Civ3 is in my mind the "less polished" of the serie, the most flawed... but at the same time, it's the most immersive and the one I spent the most time on.
Civ IV, on the contrary, I consider it to be "objectively the best"... but it still can't grasp me by the guts as easily as Civ3 could.

I absolutely agree. I think after this many years, I could not go back to the Civ3 system without making cows and wheat a commodity to be traded, and the diplomacy and religion is a major improvement.. but I had so many more epic Civ 3 games than in Civ 4. I think some of this may just be due to something as simple as the details on the maps and even the map angle. I can't remember the shape of my civ in a single Civ4 game but in Civ3 I would look down and admire my territory for some time and really felt the boundaries were alive and worth fighting fore. The good thing is that looking at the Civ5 screenshots, I feel they are recapturing the essence of Civ3 there with the map angle and in fact it kind of looks like what you'd see from an airplane.

Also I agree with a lot of people, if you can make me a game where I could play a diety level AI that does not have to cheat, I don't care how crude the rest of the game is, I would be very happy with that.

I can relate to what vonSharma said... I think some of it boils down to the 3d aspect in a game like Civ, and how that 3d is incorporated into it.

Civ 2 and 3, we were used to fast action paced that allowed us to not have to fiddle with views and cameras (which are nothing more in the end but distractions). Zooming out in Civ 4 to see the world was nice the first time, but it got old having to do that every time after.

If they integrate the 3d aspect into the game and make camera views un-noticeable so they are not distracting; and keep the action able to flow at a fast pace, without making the 3d side of things take lengths of time to show; and keep the UI quick and clean; without everything making the game bog down, then the epic feel should still be there. I personally did not feel the epic-ness in 4 as I did the previous.

I haven't read the whole thread, but to the OP, many of us have been wanting/asking for hex tiles for years now. It's definately a welcome addition.

I can relate to what vonSharma said... I think some of it boils down to the 3d aspect in a game like Civ, and how that 3d is incorporated into it.

Civ 2 and 3, we were used to fast action paced that allowed us to not have to fiddle with views and cameras (which are nothing more in the end but distractions). Zooming out in Civ 4 to see the world was nice the first time, but it got old having to do that every time after.
Well, I doubt that, for me at least, it has anything to do with 3D. I actually LOVE 3D. As much as I am an "oldies freak" (yes, I still love and play Master of Magic :p), I really don't have the "2D rose-coloured glasses".

I think the difference comes more about the "immersion" aspect of Civ3. The way the menus looked like limestone. How the advisors gave you advices with different expressions. The comments on events. The interface that was much more "involving".
Civ IV is too... dry. Rather than little heads with the features of the races and the expression of "happy/content/unhappy", we got faceless bars and percentages. Menu look like something coming straight from Windows, impersonal and cold blue panels. I also found the music enthrancing, and the "modernisation" of the world was more striking - probably a simple point of design. A crisper look, feel and animation from units probably also play a role.

I haven't read the whole thread, but to the OP, many of us have been wanting/asking for hex tiles for years now. It's definitely a welcome addition.

Many? In the past debates it looked like a few vocal people wanted hexes, and the rest of us wanting to stick with tiles. It wasn't until civ5 was announced that the consensus was hexes good, tiles bad.

Apparently, the 'everything must stay exactly as it was before or else the developer has betrayed me personally' disease has spread from No Mutants Allowed...

Top Bottom